U Become A Bit Lax?

phillyguy

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
Maybe I shouldn't post this here, but it seems in the past few weeks, the access to cockpits during flights has become a bit lax.

Early on , I would see FA's move the beverage cart across the aisle while the cockpit crew used the rest room or was served food/beverage.

On several flights recently, not only has this not been done but the the doors are being opened with passengers in the galley area.

The other evening, the pilot was leaving the cockpit at the same time I approached the forward lavatory and we actually joked about who would use the restroom first.

On a later flight - the FA and the pilot chatted at the cockpit door for several minutes during flight with the door wide open.

I'm not sure what the policy and procedures and maybe everyone just figures taht TSA is doing such a good job, but in light of recent reports about things getting on to planes, I would be concerned.

Just an observation.

Phillyguy - who still thinks U is the best airline with the best employees!!

Maybe the guys who are leaving the doors open are flying with a guy who has been thru the armed pilot training, and know that their compadre in the cockpit has his hands on the piece. Who knows?

I always thought the beverage cart routine was a bit melodramatic--anyone hell bent on reaching the galley/cockpit area will simply hurdle the cart.

I have to agree with Bob on this. It does seem to vary flight to flight. Since September 11 the old FAR 108 has been tossed aside for new regulations dictated by the TSA. As of yet there are no set “FARâ€￾ type rules regarding flight safety. This is currently in progress. I would imagine that Company OP Specs. would cover the security of the flight-deck door, and crew actions. As for the TSA regulations, they are mostly disseminated by memorandum and other such correspondence.

A little clarification about the following link that goes to the TSA Security Regulation page. Within the past few years the FAA has changed the wording of FAR (Federal Aviation Regulation) to CFR 14 (Code of Federal Regulation) (Code 14 designates Aviation). This was to eliminate the confusion with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR).

That being said, everyone (including myself) refer to Flight Regulations as FAR. I just wanted to clear this up due to the fact that all government agencies print all regulations in CFR format.

Here is the Transportation Security Regulations page for some light reading.

OK maybe it is no big deal but then why all the effort and costs to make cockpit doors more secure?

Parking a cart across a aisle and leaving it "unattended" is a FAR violation itself at my carrier we have been instructed that we are at no time to leave any cart unattended which is very difficult but if we were to hit unexpected turbulence it could seriously injure someone.

phillyguy said:
OK maybe it is no big deal but then why all the effort and costs to make cockpit doors more secure?
Getting thru a kevlar or steel lined door with a decent lock is far harder than hurdling a beverage cart (or simply knocking it down).

phillyguy said:
The flight-deck door modifications were mandated by Homeland Security (read TSA). As ClueByFour stated, it does make access to the flight-deck harder.

As for the service cart being placed in an area blocking an exit, even in the name of security; is a violation of FAR 121 (read Cargo storage in the passenger compartment). Justanadd stated an obvious safety concern as well.

Pilot are human (some may not believe this B) ) and need to use the lav in flight. There is a peep-hole/window in the flight-deck door that allows the pilots to survey the passenger compartment prior to opening the door.