U, can't take the heat. GET out of the kitchen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want my Mommy...I thouht I had the advantage, but now I don't.
US Airways Exec Criticizes Delta
By MATTHEW BARAKAT
.c The Associated Press
WASHINGTON (AP) - The president of US Airways accused Delta Air Lines of anticompetitive behavior, criticizing an alliance Delta is pursuing with two other major carriers.
``Delta's strategy is built on one basic element: US Airways' failure,'' the company's president, David Siegel, said Tuesday in reference to Delta's proposed code-share agreement with Continental Airlines and Northwest Airlines.
Siegel referred to the proposed Continental-Delta-Northwest partnership as the ``Axis of Evil'' and called Delta Chairman Leo Mullin ``Dr. Evil.''
Under the proposed agreement, the airlines would sell seats on each other's flights and travelers would be able to get frequent-flier miles on any of the airlines.
Siegel, who is trying to reorganize US Airways in bankruptcy court, delivered his unusually blunt speech to the International Aviation Club of Washington. His comments were an apparent response to previous statements made by Mullin, who said he would pursue ``an armada'' of products and subsidiaries to combat a similarly proposed alliance between US Airways and United Airlines.
A Delta spokeswoman denied the three-way alliance being proposed aims to put US Airways out of business.
US Airways, the nation's seventh-largest carrier, filed for bankruptcy Aug. 11 and has made numerous changes in recent months to get its cost structure in line. Seven of its nine union locals have agreed to wage cuts totaling about $619 million a year; the remaining locals concluded voting Tuesday evening on proposals for an additional $221 million in cuts. Both unions ratified the contract restructuring.
The Communication Workers of America ratified its concession package by a 3-to-1 ratio. The deal calls for an 8 percent pay cut, dropping the top rate for its 8,000 passenger service employees to $20.05 an hour. Employees making less than $30,00 a year are exempt from the deal. The amended contract will save the airline $70 million a year.
Some 6,600 mechanics represented by the International Association of Machinists ratified their contact by a 57 percent margin. The union had rejected the same deal last month by a 57-43 margin, but decided to vote again.
US Airways has said the concessions sought from the machinists were comparable with those sought from other unions.
Union leadership had offered workers no recommendation on the proposal.
``The ratification of this last remaining employee agreement provides us with tremendous momentum to secure our financing, complete our restructuring plan, and emerge from bankruptcy early in 2003,'' Jerry A. Glass, US Airways senior vice president of employee relations, said in a statement.
US Airways has eliminated hundreds of flights on unprofitable routes, greatly expanded the use of smaller, cheaper regional jets and proposed a code-sharing agreement with United Airlines, which allows the two carriers to sell tickets on each other's flights.
The Delta alliance would be 50 percent larger than the US Airways alliance and would constitute 40 percent of all domestic air traffic, Siegel said. In addition, he said, the Delta alliance is anticompetitive because it includes more overlapping routes.
The United-US Airways alliance would feature complementary routes, combining US Airways' strength in north-south flights on the East Coast with United's strength in cross-country flights.
Delta spokeswoman Catherine Stengel acknowledged that the proposed Delta alliance is in part a response to the US Airways alliance. But she said the company is not trying to put US Airways out of business.
``US Airways is clearly a competitor on key markets such as the East Coast,'' she said. ``We welcome all healthy competition.''
The two airlines compete in several markets, particularly the lucrative shuttle service between Washington, Boston and New York.
The Justice Department is reviewing both proposals. Siegel said he is confident that the US Airways-United alliance will receive approval in the near future. Last year, the Justice Department rejected a full-scale merger between the two airlines.
In your dreams crybaby...Sigal has now alienated The THREE STRONGEST AIRLINES in the country. If you think you had problems...Let's see where that BIG MOUTH gets you now. I think U has just signed a death warrant. The U/UAL Alliance is small fry compared to the Tri. The Tri Alliance dominates every Continent on the Globe. E piu tarde U S Air....

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/18/2002 1:55:51 AM Blueskies/400 UpperDeck wrote: . The U/UAL Alliance is small fry compared to the "Tri". The "Tri" Alliance dominates every Continent on the Globe. E piu tarde U S Air....
----------------
[/blockquote]

DUH. that's the whole point, and the reason this alliance will never be approved as is. Perhaps with substantial concession on route overlaps it will work. Just as, I imagine, UA/US will have to concede on some route overlaps that they would enjoy.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/18/2002 1:55:51 AM Blueskies/400 UpperDeck wrote:

In your dreams crybaby...Sigal has now alienated The THREE STRONGEST AIRLINES in the country. If you think you had problems...Let's see where that BIG MOUTH gets you now. I think U has just signed a death warrant. The U/UAL Alliance is small fry compared to the Tri. The Tri Alliance dominates every Continent on the Globe. E piu tarde U S Air....
----------------
[/blockquote]

Thats great, when can I grab a Tri flight to LHR from DTW EWR or ATL?

This alliance is far from a done deal. Even though it has been announced to the public, it still requires government, NWA ALPA MEC, and DAL ALPA MEC approval. Each of those entities will be asking, What's in it for me?.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/18/2002 10:35:19 AM ExAF wrote:

This alliance is far from a done deal. Even though it has been announced to the public, it still requires government, NWA ALPA MEC, and DAL ALPA MEC approval. Each of those entities will be asking, "What's in it for me?". I give it a 50-50 shot at best of actually getting implemented. Cheers
----------------
[/blockquote]
Look for the DL MEC to approve the codeshare. I am guessing sometime in the middle of Oct.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/18/2002 10:45:02 AM Blueskies/400 UpperDeck wrote:

Just as soon as I can grab a flight from Pit, Denver, or Charlotte to Tokyo, Sao Paolo, or Cairo!
----------------
[/blockquote]

You can, you'll just have to connect.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/18/2002 5:18:56 AM GGpillow wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/18/2002 1:55:51 AM Blueskies/400 UpperDeck wrote: . The U/UAL Alliance is small fry compared to the "Tri". The "Tri" Alliance dominates every Continent on the Globe. E piu tarde U S Air....
----------------
[/blockquote]

DUH. that's the whole point, and the reason this alliance will never be approved as is. Perhaps with substantial concession on route overlaps it will work. Just as, I imagine, UA/US will have to concede on some route overlaps that they would enjoy.

----------------
[/blockquote]

There is very little overlap between U and UAL. BTW does tri stand for the average age in decades of your fleet? Or what your CAT II jets do when the weather gets bad? (We'll 'tri' to get there, too bad we're not CAT III)

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/18/2002 11:48:59 AM Tango-Bravo wrote:

Foot-in-mouth, hypocritical blather from the mouth of a cartel airline executive is nothing new.

History tells us that the management of airlines who hide behind bankruptcy to stiff creditors and wangle their employees into accepting huge concessions have a pronounced tendency to quickly become complacent over their illusionary "recovery"

----------------
[/blockquote]

I thought this thread was about USAirways. When did we start taliking about tri member CAL?

There is very little overlap between U and UAL. BTW does tri stand for the average age in decades of your fleet? Or what your CAT II jets do when the weather gets bad? (We'll 'tri' to get there, too bad we're not CAT III)

It MOST definately is NOT I will TRY to pay for new airplanes that I CAN'T afford...I will TRI to raise the value of my $2.00 stock. I will TRI to pretend that I am not falling apart. Is that enough for you Busdrv...cause there is plenty more of where that came from. This time around I will spare your pathetic big mouth no mercy.

Foot-in-mouth, hypocritical blather from the mouth of a cartel airline executive is nothing new.

However, in this particular example, not to worry. History tells us that the management of airlines who hide behind bankruptcy to stiff creditors and wangle their employees into accepting huge concessions have a pronounced tendency to quickly become complacent over their illusionary recovery and go on doing the same stupid things that put them in jeopardy in the first place, with the same results or worse--in spite of reduced costs that came at the expense of creditors and labor.

My favorite airline(s) at this point is anyone who offers an alternative choice to USAirways.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/18/2002 12:49:22 PM Blueskies/400 UpperDeck wrote:

"There is very little overlap between U and UAL. BTW does "tri" stand for the average age in decades of your fleet? Or what your CAT II jets do when the weather gets bad? ("We'll 'tri' to get there, too bad we're not CAT III")"

It MOST definately is NOT "I will TRY to pay for new airplanes that I CAN'T afford...I will TRI to raise the value of my $2.00 stock. I will TRI to pretend that I am not falling apart." Is that enough for you Busdrv...cause there is plenty more of where that came from. This time around I will spare your pathetic big mouth no mercy.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Hmmm....
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/020918/airlines_co...esearch1_1.html

ALL THREE TRI MEMBERS!! Coincidence?

How many A/C is NWA taking next year? How many are they paying cash for? How many are FINANCED? Enjoy the next three months, I've got a hunch you're in for a few surprises

Status
Not open for further replies.