U.S. House looking deeper into maintenance outsourcing

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamechntx

Oct 13, 2008
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The House is considering a bill that would require more inspections at aircraft repair stations overseas despite objections from the European Union.

The bill, which is being taken up Thursday, also authorizes $70 billion through Sept. 30, 2012, for Federal Aviation Administration programs, including $13.4 billion to accelerate the agency's transition from the current radar-based air traffic control system to one based on Global Positioning System technology.

The foreign repair station provision would require the FAA to increase its overseas inspections from once a year to twice a year and to require foreign workers to submit to the same drug and alcohol testing required of U.S. workers. The provision has the backing of labor unions, who complain that safety enforcement isn't as rigorous overseas.

A report last year by Transportation Department Inspector General Calvin Scovel said nine major U.S. airlines are farming out aircraft maintenance at twice the rate of four years earlier and now hire outside contractors for more than 70 percent of major work. Most of the outsourced work is still done in the U.S. -- although often at nonunion repair shops -- but more than a quarter of the repairs are done overseas.

"The inspection regime that applies overseas is wholly inadequate," said Ed Wytkind, president of the AFL-CIO transportation trades department. "The inspector work force is too small to adequately cover the globe, where you have over 700 facilities."

The European Commission has threatened to pull out of a pending aviation safety agreement unless the provision is changed. A key part of that agreement stipulates that the U.S. and European Union aviation safety bodies have comparable safety requirements and inspection regimes.

"We have yet to see any data to suggest there is a real safety problem with foreign repair stations," said William Voss, president of the Flight Safety Foundation in Alexandria, Va., an international aviation safety think tank.

The provision is perceived as an effort by the U.S. to impose its standards on other nations, who also inspect the repair stations, Voss said.

Other provisions of the bill would:

-- Require the FAA to hire more safety inspectors.

-- Create an independent office within the FAA to investigate whistleblower complaints.

-- Increase funds available to subsidize air service to rural communities from $127 million to $200 million annually.

-- Direct the National Academy of Sciences to study pilot fatigue.

-- Require airlines and airports to develop contingency plans for how they will handle the passengers whose flights have been delayed for hours on tarmacs. The plans are to be submitted to the transportation secretary for approval.

The airlines will say these foreign repair stations not only in Europe, but in Central and South America and Asia are just as good as the domestic ones. This is all about the almighty dollar.

There are facilities in Mexico where the workers, not mechanics, don't read or write English but all the manuals are in English. Airlines love to gamble with safety despite their PR effort in the media claiming that safety is their number one priority.

But the pro company defenders will surely post here telling us to prove to these facilities and workers are not qualified and how we are just being typical union workers just looking to preserve our jobs.

The only time the flying public will give a damn is when there is an air disaster and the lawsuits fly.

Why don't we start outsourcing executives to India and Korea? With the current technical progress we enjoy now, I'm sure someone in Delhi can teleconference his/her managerial skills to the states for a fraction of what our suits are making.

There are facilities in Mexico where the workers, not mechanics, don't read or write English but all the manuals are in English. Airlines love to gamble with safety despite their PR effort in the media claiming that safety is their number one priority.

:shock:

What hypocrisy.

Everyday more and more Americans, load their love ones into their Foreign-built cars, made by non-English reading workers, around the globe, hence the end of the US Auto Industry.

The Airline industry in particular, was destroyed by the deregulation signed off by a Democratic President, and NAFTA, signed by even another Democrat President.

The Democrats gave the Republicans the Blueprint and eight years by which to kill most US industries, now we expect the corrupt system to turn 360 overnight.

CHANGE ??????? Yeah Right.

:shock:

What hypocrisy.

Everyday more and more Americans, load their love ones into their Foreign-built cars, made by non-English reading workers, around the globe, hence the end of the US Auto Industry.

The Airline industry in particular, was destroyed by the deregulation signed off by a Democratic President, and NAFTA, signed by even another Democrat President.

The Democrats gave the Republicans the Blueprint and eight years by which to kill most US industries, now we expect the corrupt system to turn 360 overnight.

CHANGE ??????? Yeah Right.

Don't worry. the FAA will hire more inspectors to "watch" these facilities. And that will quell the concern. But I am surprised that President Obama has not addressed this issue yet of outsourcing so-called "HIGH PAYING" tech jobs.

Look at United...Gone thru bankruptcy, raped its employees, outsources just about everything and everybody (except executives) and still bleeding cash?

For decades, unions have been to blame...Where's the blame and outrage now?

But I am surprised that President Obama has not addressed this issue yet of outsourcing so-called "HIGH PAYING" tech jobs.

Too much hope is being pinned on this man,.

HIGH TECH jobs, or higher math jobs will still be in demand as the economy heats up later in 2010. The country will have no choice but to bring back these guys from India and such., because we're producing a nation of people who can't read, write much less do higher math.

The other day, we cleaned a flight from DFW, there wasn't one used newspaper on board. Yet, the European flights are trashed with newspapers.

What does that tell you?

The other day, we cleaned a flight from DFW, there wasn't one used newspaper on board. Yet, the European flights are trashed with newspapers.

What does that tell you?

A couple of things. Flights from Europe still feature bundles of newspapers provided free to the premium cabin passengers, and there are often enough to share with the economy pax. Domestic flights don't get free newspapers.

Additionally, I've seen FAs being very diligent in collecting newspapers on domestic flights - they take very seriously the "straighten the cabin" prior to landing suggestions. I've had to stop them from taking my reading materials (that I intend to take with me).

Seriously, though, you're on target on your larger point.

Thousands of airplanes are maintained outside the USA and, remarkably, they aren't falling out of the sky. QF, JL, SQ, LH and others are world-class airlines and their airplanes only see maintenance on US soil for the routine checks necessary before they depart their US destinations.

I'm glad to see AA continue its long tradition of performing more maintenance in the US than any other US-based airline, but maintenance elsewhere doesn't portend disaster. That said, nothing wrong with more FAA instpectors at foreign MROs. Hope the added cost is paid by the airlines that outsource maintenance to the third world.

Thousands of airplanes are maintained outside the USA and, remarkably, they aren't falling out of the sky. QF, JL, SQ, LH and others are world-class airlines and their airplanes only see maintenance on US soil for the routine checks necessary before they depart their US destinations.

I'm glad to see AA continue its long tradition of performing more maintenance in the US than any other US-based airline, but maintenance elsewhere doesn't portend disaster. That said, nothing wrong with more FAA instpectors at foreign MROs. Hope the added cost is paid by the airlines that outsource maintenance to the third world.

If outsourcing is such a wonderful thing...Let's outsource the executives.....Deal?
There is a much larger problem going on in this country. Instead of bringing third world standards UP to ours, our wonderful corporations are forcing the American worker DOWN to third world levels.
This just to increase profits and stock price.

Maybe we should start outsourcing lawyers to India while we are it.

If outsourcing is such a wonderful thing...Let's outsource the executives.....Deal?
Your wish may come true in the near future. However, depending on which countries the execs are in sourced from, they'll make your current bosses look like Sunday school teachers (i.e. they won't tolerate unions or any of the associated BS).

Before visiting/inspecting foreign countires, the FAA might want to do a better job at home: Mechs. Can't Read English

Absolutely!

The FAA has been a puppet to the airlines for decades. Only since the problems at SWA and AA have they begun to get tough. We had two mechanics lose their licenses for 60 days for improper maintenance procedures. They do speak English but years ago it would have been a "wink wink, nudge nudge" by the FAA.
How can you have the same agency responsible for the dual role of promoting aviation while enforcing it.

The FAA shortcomings have existed far before outsourcing became a concern.
Their main concern has been not to burden the airlines with higher costs.

Now it seems they're doing what they should be doing.

And I don't care if it happens in another country or here right at home...Mechanics are required to read and write English.

As for the situation in Texas, I have a hunch which border those mechanics crossed,

Your wish may come true in the near future. However, depending on which countries the execs are in sourced from, they'll make your current bosses look like Sunday school teachers (i.e. they won't tolerate unions or any of the associated BS).

Fine by me... I could care less if I have a union or not. I have one now so that's the flavor of the month. So I guess it's perfectly normal and acceptable to outsource any one who doesn't wear a suit and tie to work?

Bring em in and let those pros see how American corporate greed works.

WE are the only legacy airline to keep most maintenance work in house and in the USA. United gets their birds overhauled in South Korea, others in Central and South America. Apparently we are the only ones concerned about American jobs these days.

WE are the only legacy airline to keep most maintenance work in house and in the USA. United gets their birds overhauled in South Korea, others in Central and South America. Apparently we are the only ones concerned about American jobs these days.

Ask yourself this question...Do you think AA chooses to keep most of its maintenance work in house just to preserve jobs? Do you think it's possible that AA does most work at home because the 2003 concessions which are still in full force have made it cost advantageous to do so?

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact AA has chosen this path, but I truly doubt they do so just to save jobs. AA, like any other corporation's main responsibility is to make money for itself and shareholders.
Look at UAL...Filed for bankruptcy protection. They raped employees beyond belief and shed thousands upon thousands of jobs. They send they work over seas......And they've been losing billions since.

Status
Not open for further replies.