U Signs Lease For 10 Pit Gates

DCAflyer

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
US AIRWAYS SIGNS LEASE AGREEMENT FOR 10 GATES AND RELATED FACILITIES AT PITTSBURGH INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Commitment to Hub Awaits Broader Agreement on Debt Relief
ARLINGTON, Va., Jan. 5, 2004 -- US Airways (NASDAQ: UAIR) has signed a long-term lease agreement for 10 gates and related terminal and support facilities at Pittsburgh International Airport, to replace the lease that was rejected as part of the company’s Chapter 11 reorganization.

Under the agreement, US Airways will lease 10 gates and associated operations and ticketing space on a signatory basis through 2018. The balance of 40 gates and other facilities currently used by US Airways and its US Airways Express carriers at Pittsburgh will be leased on a month-to-month, non-signatory basis.

Additionally, US Airways has signed a three-year lease agreement for its current on-airport support facilities, including maintenance hangars, cargo, mail sorting and foodservice facilities. This includes an option for either party to terminate the agreement with respect to all or part of the facilities after the first year.

The company said that it will continue to negotiate with the Allegheny County Airport Authority, Allegheny County and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the hope that a broader agreement can be reached in order to maintain its hub operations at Pittsburgh. State and local officials are exploring whether new revenue sources can be devoted to relieve airlines operating at Pittsburgh of some of the cost of servicing the $640 million debt load the airport carries. In the meantime, US Airways has agreed to operate a schedule close to its existing service at Pittsburgh through September 2004, in order to allow negotiations to continue.

"We are quite appreciative of the leadership Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato has already demonstrated in reaching an alternative agreement for facilities while we collectively explore all other options," said Christopher Chiames, US Airways’ senior vice president of corporate affairs. "We remain optimistic that Mr. Onorato can work constructively with Governor Rendell and the Airport Authority to identify new sources of revenue for the airport. Our discussions over the past several months have demonstrated that all parties recognize that this is about new revenue and lowering the cost of doing business at the airport for all airlines, and not a subsidy targeted to US Airways."

Chiames said that US Airways officials recognize that a budget crisis in the state, and competing state and local fiscal priorities have extended the process beyond what was originally envisioned.

"When we rejected the leases last March, effective Jan. 5, 2004, we believed it gave all parties plenty of time to find a solution that would allow us to cost-effectively maintain our Pittsburgh hub," said Chiames. "Despite the lengthy process, our conversations with public officials remain constructive, and at the same time, they recognize that we are trying to complete a financial restructuring that did not end with our emergence from Chapter 11 last year. We understand that public officials have some difficult choices to make, and in turn, they understand that we must begin making business decisions very soon and that these negotiations must be concluded quickly."

As a signatory for 10 gates and related facilities, US Airways still has the largest financial commitment to the Allegheny County Airport Authority of any airline serving Pittsburgh.

US Airways currently serves nearly 100 destinations nonstop with approximately 375 daily flights from Pittsburgh International Airport.

Reporters needing additional information should contact US Airways Corporate Affairs at (703) 872-5100.

Nothing really. The decision to hub/de-hub was basically pushed off again while ACAA decides how, or if, to reduce the outstanding debt load. Based soley on lease commitments announced, US could downsize PIT instantly to a focus city.

DCAflyer said:
" Our discussions over the past several months have demonstrated that all parties recognize that this is about new revenue and lowering the cost of doing business at the airport for all airlines, and not a subsidy targeted to US Airways."
Yet another statement that indicates that Chiames is really no better than Baghdad Bob when it comes to telling the truth.

How many other carriers rejected leases, use PIT as a hub, or are interested in these "talks?" Zero. It's a subsidy for US, plain and simple.

Why they continue to deny it or try to call it anything else still boggles my mind. I state yet again that's it is clear that US has nowhere it can run to, no better non-LCC infested O&D market to hub in, and insufficient gates/airspace to move things to PHL or CLT.

"US Airways will lease 10 gates and associated operations and ticketing space on a signatory basis through 2018. "

So, in the event no other long-term agreements are forthcoming, this could be "the fallback plan" for Pittsburgh. How many flights per day can you maximize with 10 gates?

Additionally, US Airways has signed a three-year lease agreement for its current on-airport support facilities, including maintenance hangars, cargo, mail sorting and foodservice facilities. This includes an option for either party to terminate the agreement with respect to all or part of the facilities after the first year.

Hardly concrete if they can back out in one year. Bet they wish they could get the union contracts to have that little piece of fine print. Guess PIT mtc will be around another year....

I would guess the way marketing is, about 50 flights for the 10 gates. In our station at merge time, we had 128 departures out of 9 gates so it can be done with the right people working operations/tower.

USAirways scheduling and style, about 60 would be pushing it. :D although some other carriers could get about 100 or more out of the same gates.

Are you trying to say U's management is inept and couldn't run an airline much less a hub? :eek:

Come on people look at the bright side and sing a song!

I'm so glad
I'm so glad
I'm glad, I'm glad, I'm glad
I'm so glad
I'm so glad
I'm glad, I'm glad, I'm glad

Sorry, Deep Purple ;)

I could be wrong, but I believe that MOST airports are operated on very short, even month-to-month leases. Even the large ones, like DFW and ORD are. This is a non-issue for UAIR, but eliminates some of the protection for the airport. If I were PIT I would be agressively looking to get someone into the airport to "put the hammer" on UAIR. Leases protect both sides, and a lease which can be cancelled in one year is only a one year lease, no matter what you call it. PIT is still a great location for a company looking to capitalize on the east coast, and the airport is about the best in the US from an operations and customer standpoint. It was PIT's location that allowed Allegheny to grow into USAIR, and it's still a pretty good location for north-south and east coast markets. Seems like it is tailor-made for a low fare airline wantig an east coast presence. That is, if they make their costs competitive. NO, I don't live in PIT, work in PIT or have any relatives in PIT. I just enjoy visiting the PIT airport on occasion.

This is a non-issue for UAIR, but eliminates some of the protection for the airport.

Rent on the month-to-month gates incurs a 20% premium, I'd hardly call that a "non-issue" on 40 gates.

If I were PIT I would be agressively looking to get someone into the airport to "put the hammer" on UAIR.

There's no airline that's going to come in and want anywhere near 40 gates.

How many other carriers rejected leases, use PIT as a hub, or are interested in these "talks?" Zero. It's a subsidy for US, plain and simple.

US is trying to negotiate a reduction in debt service. If that debt service is reduced by 50%, that will equally affect every tenants rent in percentage terms. US gets the greatest benefit since they are by far the largest tenant, but every tenant benefits equally in percentage terms.

insufficient gates/airspace to move things to PHL or CLT.

Charlotte has tons of capacity if the hub is depeaked.