Ua 853

More info please. Were passengers on board? What happened? How long out of service?

Oh wow! found some articles. Must have scared the crap out of the 2 mechanics onboard.

This is not that big a deal. I don't think any passengers were on board. As you can see, the main gear did not collapse. Perhaps it was loaded improperly. I don't have any specifics, but if I hear anything I'll pass it along.

Doesn't look like any major damage. I've seen this happen before with 747 freighters.

I'm shocked Fish hasn't been here yet. Let me reply for him.

Let's see he usually starts with a melodramatic headline that has misspellings...how about:

Would you put you familie on this airline???!!??!

Then he does his snazzy spelling of United:

WHat's wrong with UniTED??????

Then comes the doom prediction and shocked look smiley faces:

This will surely spell the end :shock: :shock: :shock:

Come to think of it, his writing is much like mad libs...

767jetz said:
This is not that big a deal. I don't think any passengers were on board. As you can see, the main gear did not collapse. Perhaps it was loaded improperly. I don't have any specifics, but if I hear anything I'll pass it along.

Doesn't look like any major damage. I've seen this happen before with 747 freighters.
[post="288897"][/post]​

http://www.ktvu.com/slideshow/news/4859506...ews;dm=ss;w=400

This photo reveals both body gears partially retracted. The wing gears are fully extended.

Statement From United Airlines

PR Newswire

08.16.05, 2:21 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO, Aug. 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- While undergoing repairs at our San Francisco maintenance facility, a Boeing 747 aircraft was inadvertently damaged when its gear retracted, causing the tail to rest on the ground.

Aircraft maintenance technicians were in the process of troubleshooting a hydraulic issue at United's maintenance hangar. The hydraulic issue caused the plane to be returned to the airport on Monday. The flight was headed for Tokyo and returned safely to San Francisco.

We are in the process of inspecting the damage and the cause of the incident.

No one was injured, and repair work will begin on the aircraft immediately.

Customers have been accommodated on another aircraft, and the flight is expected to leave for Tokyo at about 11:30 a.m. local time today.

United regrets any inconvenience to our passengers.

767jetz said:

[post="288897"][/post]​
No disrespect intended jetz, but its the things you dont see that will bite you! souix city comes to mind.

local 12 proud said:
No disrespect intended jetz, but its the things you dont see that will bite you! souix city comes to mind.
[post="289161"][/post]​

Not sure I understand. I know the center body gear collapsed due to a missing gear pin, and oviously something went wrong. But all I'm saying is that it looks worse than it is. From people I've talked to, the damage is minimal and no one was hurt, so this could have been much worse. Looks more spectacular than it really is.

I think what Local 12 was saying is that although the outward damage might be minimal, internal or structural damage which may or may not be easily detected might be significant if not severe. For example, spar damage, or perhaps warpage creating cracks or leakage in the rear pressure bulkhead.

One just hopes that all these possibilities are investigated in repairing this aircraft to operational status.

As bad as it seems, it could have been worse, folks.

My best to you all.....

Art at ISP said:
I think what Local 12 was saying is that although the outward damage might be minimal, internal or structural damage which may or may not be easily detected might be significant if not severe. For example, spar damage, or perhaps warpage creating cracks or leakage in the rear pressure bulkhead.

One just hopes that all these possibilities are investigated in repairing this aircraft to operational status.

As bad as it seems, it could have been worse, folks.

My best to you all.....
[post="289365"][/post]​
Precisely! on July19,1989 United flt. 232 suffered a catastrophic engine failure when an UNDETECTED crack in the number 2 engine fan rotor finally decided to let go and by shear luck or fate which ever you choose, took out all three hydraulic systems making the DC10-10 Almost completely uncontrollable. Im sure Most all wittnessed what happened at Sioux City via the News footage, fortunately of the 285 passengers and 11 crew members, 174 pasengers and 10 crew members survived. A UNDETECTED HAIR LINE CRACK WAS THE CULPRIT!

Not trying to spread gloom and doom here - just asking a couple of questions:

How many 747s does UA have?

What about spares?

With the recent repo of another 747, this takes two out of the mix...what does this do to UA's int'l flying in the short term? Have certain flights been cancelled as a result? At best, I assume some flights are being downguaged.