Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
UA Boosts IAD Service by 13%, adds IAD-PBI, IAD-RSW
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060817/cgth025.html?.v=71

Press Release Source: United Airlines

United Airlines Boosts Washington Dulles Service by 13 Percent, Strengthens Commitment to Key Hub
Thursday August 17, 9:59 am ET
New service includes first-ever to Japan and the Middle East and three new domestic destinations
Also applied for first-ever capital-to-capital service from Washington, D.C., to China

CHICAGO, Aug. 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- This fall, United Airlines brings more travel options to customers by increasing international and U.S. domestic service for business and leisure travelers from Washington Dulles -- its key East Coast hub -- by 22 new flights. This represents an approximate 13 percent increase in departures compared to fall of last year. With this increase, United will provide 321 daily departures from Dulles by November 2006.

The service boost will strengthen Washington Dulles as United's international gateway on the East Coast. New international flights from the hub include United's previously announced service to the Middle East through service to Kuwait (which received government approval in July) and its first-ever service from Washington, D.C., to Japan via Tokyo Narita -- both to begin in late October 2006. United also recently applied to offer the first-ever nonstop service between Washington, D.C., and China, via Beijing.

As part of the service increase, United also will offer new daily service from Washington, D.C., to the domestic warm-weather destinations of West Palm Beach, Fla., beginning December 2006, and Fort Myers, Fla., and Tucson, Ariz., both beginning in late October 2006.

"Washington Dulles is integral to United's network," said Kevin Knight, vice president-Resource Planning. "We are pleased to strengthen our East Coast hub with new international and domestic service, which further strengthens our global network. With the addition of these new flights, we are providing even more travel options for our customers."

United also will increase frequencies to cities already served from Washington Dulles, including Albany, N.Y.; Hartford, Conn.; Columbia, S.C.; Charleston, S.C.; Columbus, Ohio; Newark, N.J.; Greenville, S.C.; Houston; Jacksonville, Fla.; New York-JFK; New York-La Guardia; Orlando, Fla.; Providence, R.I.; Raleigh-Durham, N.C.; Rochester, N.Y.; Syracuse, N.Y.; Tampa, Fla.; and Knoxville, Tenn.

"Dulles is the full service airport for the Washington region with non-stop flights to more than 125 domestic and international cities," said Mark Treadaway, vice president, Air Service Planning and Development for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority. "We are very pleased that United Airlines is working with us to meet our region's growing demand for service throughout the U.S. and abroad."

Customers will earn 1,000 bonus miles every time they purchase qualifying travel at united.com, which also offers the guaranteed lowest United fares.

About United

United Airlines (Nasdaq: UAUA - News) operates more than 3,700* flights a day on United, United Express and Ted to more than 210 U.S. domestic and international destinations from its hubs in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Chicago and Washington, D.C. With key global air rights in the Asia- Pacific region, Europe and Latin America, United is one of the largest international carriers based in the United States. United is also a founding member of Star Alliance, which provides connections for our customers to 842 destinations in 152 countries worldwide. United's 56,000 employees reside in every U.S. state and in many countries around the world. News releases and other information about United can be found at the company's Web site at united.com.

*Based on the flight schedule between May 1, 2006 and Dec. 31, 2006.

Worldwide Press Office:
Days: 847.700.5538
Evenings/Weekends: 847.700.4088

Source: United Airlines

UA Boosts IAD Service by 13%, adds IAD-PBI, IAD-RSW
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Fly,

I agree good news for the IAD folks (myself included) Just wish we had more widebodies to increase the international flying on the 767.

DC

[

This reminds me of the days back in the early 90s when UA did a lot of north/south flying out of Dulles. It's good news. I hope it lasts.

Since Independence AIR went Ch 11, West Palm Beach to Washington has been EXPENSIVE. Southwest is $400 to BWI from PBI, US to National is bad too. This is great for PBI, TED is probably what they are going to fly the route with. Now PBI will have another way to DC and connections to the world via a JFK style gateway without the JFK problems and no huge hubs like Atlanta.

Sweet.

Seeing how I'll eventually get the boot out of N.Y., this is going to make commuting to IAD very easy.

Since Independence AIR went Ch 11, West Palm Beach to Washington has been EXPENSIVE. Southwest is $400 to BWI from PBI, US to National is bad too. This is great for PBI, TED is probably what they are going to fly the route with. Now PBI will have another way to DC and connections to the world via a JFK style gateway without the JFK problems and no huge hubs like Atlanta.

While I understand that WN does not always have the cheapest fares, UA isn't going to win by undercutting WN on price. Ted just don't work for cheap (nor do any of the Ted pilots or FAs). Now if UA can attract the same $400 (that has to be return fare), then Fantastic!

I don't think WN is goung to expand much at IAD like they have at DEN. IAD will remain firmly in UAL's hand and will continue to have good pricing power and higher yields. WN is too afraid of cannabilizing themselves at BWI. just my thoughts........

I don't think WN is goung to expand much at IAD like they have at DEN. IAD will remain firmly in UAL's hand and will continue to have good pricing power and higher yields. WN is too afraid of cannabilizing themselves at BWI. just my thoughts........

I think you are sorely delusional.

WN missed the opportunity to be a major fish in NYC and BOS. They are not going to miss being a dominant player in PHL or the Washington area. Further, BWI and IAD are very different markets.

No successful company intentionally passes the opportunity to serve profitable markets. If WN’s 1st flights at IAD are successful, WN will keep expanding until better opportunities come along. Northern Virginia’s growth is more than enough to fill lots of WN airplanes even without the stimulation effect that comes from WN’s fares – and the stimulation factor for the area is now well known thanks to Indy’s foray into the market.

Of course, B6 will start flying the route in early October w/ $99 fares so that should lower the price a bit.

While I understand that WN does not always have the cheapest fares, UA isn't going to win by undercutting WN on price. Ted just don't work for cheap (nor do any of the Ted pilots or FAs). Now if UA can attract the same $400 (that has to be return fare), then Fantastic!

FWAAA,

When will you and others get off the idea of TED not being a finacial success simply because those that work it, are paid the same as mainline. The entire airline is at a low payscale!!!!!!

SW 12yr Captains make $59/hr more than a 12yr A-320 Ted/Mainline Captain at UAL. Heck, any Captain at SW makes at least $37/hr more than the most senior 320/300 Captain!

So actually Ted does work for cheap. And so does mainline UAL.

DC