Ua Execs Negotiating W/atsb Wed

UnitedChicago

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
UAL chiefs in talks on concessions
By Caroline Daniel in Chicago
Published: June 17 2004 3:38 | Last Updated: June 17 2004 3:38

United Airlines executives flew to Washington on Wednesday to negotiate last-minute concessions, which could include further cost cuts and finding a new equity investor, in an attempt to secure a critical federal $1.6bn loan guarantee.

The Airline Transportation Stabilisation Board, a three-man panel that oversees the loan guarantee system, was poised to vote as early as this week on United's application and was minded to turn it down amid fears that the airline's current plan did not put it on a sustainable footing, according to several people aware of the talks.

The loan guarantee is considered vital to United's efforts to emerge from bankruptcy this year.

One adviser said: "They [United officials] are in talks over conditions that could be attached to a loan approval, which might include cost cuts or bringing in private equity. They are negotiating about what the terms would need to be to get approval for a loan. They [the ATSB] are getting close to a board vote."

Glenn Tilton, chief executive, who cancelled a speech he was due to give in New York last night, and Jake Brace, finance director, met officials from the working party of the ATSB to discuss potential concessions. It was unclear when the ATSB board would decide.

Concern about the business plan has been triggered by the continued growth of low-cost carriers, by higher than expected fuel costs - which has added an additional $700m to United's costs this year - and by fears about whether United's current plan can generate enough cash to fund more than $4bn in unfunded pension obligations and repay the loan.

The ATSB board includes a representative from the Treasury, who is expected to vote against a guarantee. The Department of Transportation representative is expected to vote in favour. Ned Gramlich, the representative from the Federal Reserve, is widely regarded as the swing vote on United's application.

Mr Tilton said in an interview with the FT last week that United was introducing a hiring freeze and was cutting discretionary capital spending in an effort to conserve cash.

A decision by the board to say yes, but impose certain conditions, is seen as a politically pragmatic solution amid fears that saying no to United, the world's second-largest airline, in an election year could carry political risks for the administration.

United could not be reached for comment.

"Ned Gramlich, the representative from the Federal Reserve, is widely regarded as the swing vote on United's application."

It's actually ED Gramlich, former university professor and CLINTON appointee to the Fed. Tragic that a bunch of goons who have never run a business themselves have such power.

Busdrvr said:
"Ned Gramlich, the representative from the Federal Reserve, is widely regarded as the swing vote on United's application."

It's actually ED Gramlich, former university professor and CLINTON appointee to the Fed. Tragic that a bunch of goons who have never run a business themselves have such power.
But look at the people with the most airline business experience are doing.
(Airline CEOs/VP/BOD)
Difference?

At the end of the day - I want United to emerge on solid footing and be able to compete long-term.

If that takes concessions that were mentioned in the article - then it has to happen. UA needs to get it right the first time - and not revisit CH11.

Hang in there!

Busdrvr said:

That's dissappointing Busdrvr. I assume you're a republican...so now you're going to pin UA's woes on Clinton?

UnitedChicago said:
That's dissappointing Busdrvr. I assume you're a republican...so now you're going to pin UA's woes on Clinton?
UC, I consider myself a "free thinker" ;) . I just find it comical that folks pin the last decision on Bush. Lets consider a few fact.

The board has three voting members
1. Eddie Gramlich: Fed governor, college professor, Clinton Appointee and DEMOCRAT
2. Pete Fisher: Under sec of the treasury, one of a handful of DEMOCRATS in the Bush treasury department
3. Kirk Van Tine: Transportation dept legal counsel. Member of bush family pal Bakers Law Firm. Member of the Bush Florida recount legal team. REPUBLICAN

How did they vote?
1. Gramlich: NO
2. Fisher: NO (position possibly influenced Paul O'Neils firing, for more info, google hastert, fisher, and O'Neil, with the right spellings... :D )
3. Van Tine: "MAYBE".

So the score?
Dems = 2 NO's
Repub's = 1 "maybe"

Maybe Bush "influenced" Fisher, but Gramlich is serving until 2008 and is "untouchable". If just Gramliched crossed, UAL would have gotten a loan, with added conditions, and jobs and various pension fund assets invested in UAL may have been saved. I'd contend now that a rejection would HELP the dems in November, so I would expect Gramilich to be a "tough sell". The current "crew"

http://www.federalreserve.gov/bios/gramlich.htm

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/shane.htm

http://www.treas.gov/organization/bios/roseboro-e.html

Thanks for the response Bus.

The facts are such that there was not enough time to meet any conditions (i.e. further wage cuts) that the ATSB may have attached to the original loan application. With the huge debt payments due in December 02 - there would not have been time to put another contract out for negotiation and vote.

Now I'd have to run the numbers...and I'm making a guess here...but had United been granted the loan - they very well could have breached the terms and recently filed for ch11 or would potentially have been in Delta's current position.

I don't know anyone that would dispute the fact that the original business plan was flawed.

I'm a mere customer and not an employee so I can't pretend to know what you all have gone through. I just want United around. Period. It may very well be a good thing if the loan is rejected for the long-term health of United. I know the latter is not a labor friendly statement - and again I say that not being in your shoes.

Regardless - all of the positive press about service is right on. I've had the best United experiences ever during the last 3 years.

hp_fa said:
The correct members of the board can be found at http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/domestic-fi...ypersonnel.html .
HP FA,
If you spend a moment to look at my post, you'd see the three links below the sentence "the current crew". The links take you directly to the governemtn provided BIO's (complete with pictures) The individuals mentioned earlier in the post were the three voting members the first time around.