Ua Service Compared To Us

USFlyer

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
Hey All -

I finally had an opportunity to fly a UA flight via the US-UA codeshare and was VERY impressed with UA's service, from check-in thru baggage claim. The agents in both DCA and ORD were extremely courteous, helpful and motivated, and several thanked me (as a US1) for flying UAL. And, I hadn't seen a plane that clean or comfortable (I was in Economy Plus on an A320) in ages. The on-board service was also more than US's first class service on short haul routes: Full can of soda PLUS a coffee service before landing. (The F/As on my PIT-SEA flight the next day served the F meal and disappeared.)

Granted, UA probably hasn't seen the really deep cuts sink in just yet; US cut a lot of things once RSA came into play. But, I sure hope US management see this: US needs a major shift in strategy (or perhaps a strategy?) if it intends to survive long term! I realize US employees have been through a lot, which explains the extremely low morale. Whatever management thinks, this IS seen by your frequent customers. Also, the on-time departure/arrival record is abysmal: What good is the UA-US codeshare if the US flights feeding UA's can't arrive in time for the connections?! I've also given up any hope of leaving on-time lately. And, FWIW, this is not totally due to weather. I've seen PERFECTLY CLEAR days all along the east coast, yet for some reason I still can't seem to have a flight that departs on-time. And, for god sakes, hire some more cleaners to clean the planes -- I've seen cleaner bathrooms and carpets in college dorms than I have on US planes as of late!

At any rate, I know everyone on this board sees this stuff each and every day. But, coming from a US1 who so far has 250,000 tier miles this year, I'm now actively booking UA flights to give them a try. UA Economy Plus is just fine for the majority of < 1000 mile flights, so I'll gladly give up the upgrades if what I experienced on my one UA flight holds for other flights. I'm so embarassed by US's service, too, I'm now actively encouraging others to try UA, especially if a nonstop is available over a connection on US.

Is there anything we as passengers can do to bring light to these issues? Whatever happened to that customer focus group that met once a quarter? Has Consumer Affairs distributed talking points about some of this stuff?

The reason for the horrible on time performance is due to the shortage of personnel on the gates and ramp.This management team gets zero input from its employees,so why should the passengers be any different?I have never seen a management team like Siegel's ,all they do is lie to line their pockets,it is a shame that all of the mainline employees are getting screwed like they are,that's why the morale is so low.Nothing to look forward ,to,maybe a job at Mid Atlantic at half the wages, and half the benefits, sounds like our future is promising!

US Flyer, thank you for the kind words. I hope we can continue to offer you the service you expect. Welcome Aboard! :up:

USFlyer:

Thank you so much for the very kind and positive remarks about your experience flying United. You cannot buy that kind of publicity. Thankyou for choosing United! :up:

I too have taken UA flights recently and have found them to be quite good. Both trips were C class flights to PVG. I had forgotten how big the 744s are and how many people can be stuffed into them.

UA's heroin for me is, obviously, Channel 9. I wish that US had that...

Thanks for the words of praise. I'm glad our efforts are being noticed by customers like yourself. :up:

I agree with your comments about moral. IMO it can make or break an airliine, or any service industry for that matter. I can't explain it, but for some reason I have seen more cooperation, team work, and optimism at UA in the last 1 & 1/2 yrs than ever in my time at United. Even after pay cuts, work rule changes, furloughs, BK court, etc., the employees are at their best! And it's staring to show.

I'd like to share 2 e-mails I received recently from other pleased passengers:

"Thank you so much! I cannot tell you how happy you made the kids, as well as me.

You might not know, but I am a global services customer, with one-K and million mileage status. Through all of the difficult and uncertain times, everyone at United is doing a terrific job. In my view, service has gotten even better.

Thank you again. I look forward to crossing paths again in the future.

Best regards. "

"We just returned home from our trip to the West and found your e-mail with the pictures that you took of our children on our flight out. I wanted to say that your invitation to the girls to come up front after we landed really made their day. It was very special for Melissa and a birthday that she will not forget. We usually fly with USAir because of their hub location in our home town, but friendly service, clean planes, free movies, and crews such as yours have made us think twice before we book our next ticket.

Thanks again for your "going the extra mile" for our kids."

I hope we can continue provide you with the exceptional experience that you deserve!

Sincerely,
767jetz

A counter point

For the past seven years I have been a US1 and for three recent years I was also a United Premier Executive flyer. My experiences were just the contrary. Overall -I would rate US far above UA. Of course any airline will have both excetional and marginal employees, so I try to look at at what my average experience was. Perhaps the attitude at UA is changing, but what I saw quite frequently, especially with in-cabin staff, was what I call a senior dog - just go by the rules attitude. Perhaps that was due to most of my UA flying being either trans con or to/from HNL. Those long haul routes tend to draw the more senior staff. US has a frequent flyer program that is a quantum leap above U's. U may offer more destinations (before the recent agreement) but US treats it's frequent flyers much better overall.

I'm glad that USflyer had a good experience, and it is good to see U staff who have a positive attitude posting here - but in my humble opinion they still have a lot of work to do in getting their peers to jump on the customer service bandwagon.

For what it is worth my son just returned today from a four segment U trip. When I asked him how his flights went his reply was - "The people at the counter this morning had an attitude and were nasty when they did not have to be and every one of the flight attendants I had seemed to be in a bad mood." His flights were all RJ's so except for the counter crew this was not mainline staff, but to the customer staff is staff regional or mainline makes no difference to me.

767jetz said:
I can't explain it, but for some reason I have seen more cooperation, team work, and optimism at UA in the last 1 & 1/2 yrs than ever in my time at United.
It's obvious!! I'm suprised that you can't see it. When your backed into a corner your going to cooperate and do what ever is necessary to get out of the corner. If we weren't in BK then you would still see the infighting that has been here for years. Just give it some time after we get out of BK you'll see it return.

:(

Borescope said:
It's obvious!! I'm suprised that you can't see it. When your backed into a corner your going to cooperate and do what ever is necessary to get out of the corner. If we weren't in BK then you would still see the infighting that has been here for years. Just give it some time after we get out of BK you'll see it return.

:(
Sorry, I just don't agree. Look at the attitude at AA and US. Neither are in BK. One has already been there. By reading these boards you can get a taste of all the in-fighting going on there. While US was going through the courts you could still see it.

I stand by my original statement. I don't know why, but UA is running like a well tuned watch, for the most part. And in no small part due to the postitive attutude and great effort of the employees. Maybe it will be short lived... Maybe not. We'll have to see. Perhaps it is the scrutiny we've been under by all of our critics that has solidified our desire to prove them all wrong. But this is all just my humble opinion.

Jetz.

Well, he just said it.....WHEN you get out of bankruptsy you will see the change. Look at US, during BK things weren't that bad, now they are the worst I have ever seen. Wait, you will see it. Oh, maybe not, you probably have a management team and not a communist dictator.