UA v WN Who will blink first?

wwtraveler99

Jan 31, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Just saw that WN will add 4 more LAX-SFO flights in March.

With this increase they will be at 12 a day. UA is at 15 a day (if I counted correctly)

So my question is who will be the first to blink?

With AA and Virgin in the mix as well it's anyone guess.

I think it will be AA.

Hard to say, UA and AA throw a lot of codeshares onto their flights so they get listed a bunch of different ways.... AA flights get listed also as AS and show up on the AS website and UA throws the US codeshare on their flights as well as a plethora of international carriers like NZ and TA and I think AA does the same thing with QF. so one flight can be listed two, three or four different times in a GDS depending on what city pairs you enter and that can affect bookings as well. VX doesn't list in any GDS only their website and WN has limited distribution other than it's own website.

I'd guess that VX would appeal to the trendy crowd that carries ipods and iphones that don't have much allegiance to a FF program or that just want to try something hip and new or that are familiar with the Vrigin brand name, and that FF'ers will stick to their loyal carriers and the thrift or last minute purchases will buy WN and all of the above will fight for the remaining share of people.

I am just waiting for VX to announce codeshare with all the other Virgin carriers. Seems like Bransons plan is to connect the dots with his other carriers around the globe like VS and VAustralia whenever it begins flying to the US.

VX doesn't list in any GDS only their website and WN has limited distribution other than it's own website.

Didn't WN recently sign on with Galieo? Aren't they also currently with the AMR res system, whatever it's called?

You are correct though, AA and UA are listed more time though various sources. I just don't see how there is enough traffic for all those carriers. I know that Frontier and Alaska already left the market but WN has added more flights than they cut. In addition there are 20 or so flight to OAK. I think for the most part these are two different markets. It still is a large LA-Bay Area presence.

I'm sure that UA can more than hold their own with flights that connect to directional banks in LAX and SFO, so as to feed flights to the Pacific and transcons to the East Coast. Those flights do pretty well I'm sure. The non-bank flights would be my question. Some of those are pretty marginal I'd imagine, depending on how much high-yield business traffic they carry.

Latest posts