U’s Management True To The End.

calibrator

Veteran
Jan 30, 2004
Seems mechanics are being recalled. When the mechanics ask what the future holds the answer by both management and union are basically, duh, we don’t know.

Many that can retire are deciding they have had enough mental abuse from the constant uncertainty and are leaving, collecting their pensions and taking a lesser more secure job for their mental health.

Seems they are recalling mechanics just to fill the holes made by the ones leaving, with absolutely no guarantees whatsoever. The only ones willing to come back are up against it with nothing to lose realizing that their recall could last only weeks or a few short months.

It’s amazing to me that after all that was put on the employees by U’s management team the union leaders can offer no hint of what to expect.

A fellow mechanic I now work with was recalled and of course declined, but he already had a start date. He asked what he was supposed to do because he wanted to part in good standing doing the right thing, but neither the company nor the IAM makes that easy. He now must jump thru many hoops having both the company and union sign paper work so he can resign in dignity. If he fails to show up, he is simply fired.

It’s amazing what years of unions dues accomplishes. The more I live the more I know unions are nothing but another money machine for a few uncaring incompetent individuals that are completely powerless or unwilling to stop the insanity management gets away with. From the second one walks into door at U until you leave the company both the union (IAM) and management make your experience one continuous nightmare. What’s worse is the fact one must “pay†the IAM for that privilege.

The IAM is self destructing by its own hands filling its ranks with some 60 year old hippies and morons incapable of seeing the reality of what’s happening let alone doing anything about it.

700 this is for you: I am speaking directly to PIT, and I will NOT reply to any of your sorry excuses for such a flawed pathetic excuse of an entity that dares call itself a union. Its record stands and speaks for itself.

Get on with your life, your obsession and hatred of unions is not healthy.

700UW said:
Get on with your life, your obsession and hatred of unions is not healthy.
[post="303048"][/post]​
Translation: "Your petty criticisms are of no concern to me. What makes you think union leadership is accountable to the rank-an-file? Begone! Don't you see I have an expense report to work on here?"

Poor IAM. Ironic that they are being nibbled to death by the same geese that they're making their foie gras out of.

Just my .02 worth...but here it goes.

A mechanic or anyone else being recalled is in no different shape at U than an alike person at NW , DL , UA , FlyI , ATA , Aloha and a few others possibly.

If you want to draw a check?...even if its short term? Make your call and live with it , otherwise decline and simply move it on down the road.

This industry is in the toilet unless you work for WN , FL or possibly B6. Even B6 is looking at posting a loss this quarter. I feel that CO and AA haven't seen the last of the pain either...but I wish them no ill.

You can say what you will about U...or the New U...but everyone including the merged HP folks are not immune to what's taking place in this industry , so the risks are certainly a shared risk for both sides of the equation.

From my chair...I'd rather gamble with U's current agreement with the IAM...and hopefully retain what little we have left in regards to in-house work...as opposed to shelving the IAM and seeing everything outsourced to Mobile Aerospace , AC , Timco or TACA.

What's taking place going forward is for those whom are active to decide...not a bitter retired person with nothing left to do but stir the pot. Thanks for your overly jaded opinion all the same.

IF DL and NW succeed with their employee opaycuts and benes cut and if it is lower than the new US, I'd suspect that the new mgmt will comne back and ask for another round or go ch11 and get it that way. especially if the industry stays the way it is or gets worse

Phantom Fixer said:
Timco or TACA.

What's taking place going forward is for those whom are active to decide...not a bitter retired person with nothing left to do but stir the pot. Thanks for your overly jaded opinion all the same.
[post="303226"][/post]​

Phantom Fixer

Timco and TACA are taking the IAM’s food right from their mouth and you defend that pathetic excuse of a union! Shame on you. Several U employees and myself included were lucky enough to get hired at a real company with real benefits, wages and security. I am not bitter in the least. I simply loathe the IAM and the people who defend it or run it. I feel they are poor excuses for human beings, uncaring indifferent self-serving morons.

I, like any other poster, have a right to post my thoughts, beliefs and opinions and it makes no difference whether you or IAM fools like it or not.

I paid the IAM dues for 15 years, and for what? A pension barely enough to pay the gas bill, big deal. Unions are finished unless like I said they come across some REAL leadership. At this point all you have are morons running the show, and morons defending them.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have no expense report to fill out, I put in 40 hours a week at US Airways, not the IAM.

And Cal, you could not be more far off base, your obsession is not healthy and you lost all credibility when all you do is insult.

As you are so fond of pointing out, everybody has the right to post here.

I frequently disagree with Cal, but he has the same rights you do.

Moreover, there are IAM have's and have-not's. We can disagree as to how that came about, but the fact remains, and is an obvious basis for discontent.

Lastly, the way you dismissed cal with a personal attack, as opposed to a rebuttal of his post, is redolent of another frequent poster.

And frankly, it did have the sense of "let-them-eat-cake."

JMO.

Latest posts