UAL A&p's and related have a T/A

whoop whoop

Senior
May 18, 2010
It looks like the teamsters and UAL have reached a tentative. The confusing part about it, is the mechanics still don't know what is contained inside. There is nothing more ridiculous than having some entity negotiate on your behalf and you have no idea about any of it!!!!! The teamsters are by far the worst union out there.

It looks like the teamsters and UAL have reached a tentative. The confusing part about it, is the mechanics still don't know what is contained inside. There is nothing more ridiculous than having some entity negotiate on your behalf and you have no idea about any of it!!!!! The teamsters are by far the worst union out there.

Are you saying that the mechanics at UAL have not even seen any of the details of the T/A?

Are you saying that the mechanics at UAL have not even seen any of the details of the T/A?

I am a UAL Mechanic and no we have not received details yet. This is by far the worst union we have ever experienced. Confidentiality agreement signed with the union. Appointed negotiators, ibt lead negotiator making closed door deals with out the ual employed negotiators. They even bribed five of the negotiators with full time ibt jobs as Business Agents and one individual was awarded a Airline Division Rep position. Then against the rules allowed them to vote to bring this crappy TA to the members. I could go on and on but bottom line is we cannot afford to let this union negotiate an amalgamated contract. GT Davis

As GTD stated, nobody has seen anything yet. The best part, people found out they had a T/A from the news media and not the teamsters themselves. It was the same way a few months ago at CAL.

As GTD stated, nobody has seen anything yet. The best part, people found out they had a T/A from the news media and not the teamsters themselves. It was the same way a few months ago at CAL.
Some food for thought for you guys at UAL.
You can see full text proposals of the union and company at aa.twu.org for American Airlines.
Our Table position is $43.96 with pretty much everything that we gave up in 2003 (except for 5000 M&R jobs) restored.

I wonder if they are bringing back $50/hr like they got for their members at UPS? If not then why?

If they did we may have to reconsider our offer, if not I hope you guys hold out for at least as much as we are asking for. If you guys do turn down your TA AA may fold.

Whats your workload like? At AA we have aircraft sitting out of service because they ran out of time and are waiting for a place to do the checks. I hear the mechanics are approaching FAA duty time limits on some of the docks in OH. On the line our guys already have as many hours of OT as they normally average in a year. At AA over 54% are over 50 and the FAA has only been issueing enough certs for around 3000 A&Ps a year.

We also threw in USAIR clause that if we dont get a new TA within 6 months of the amendable date we get a 3% increase, and changed it to 'every six months therafter".

Our proposal calls for a new amendable date of May 1 2012.

The fact is despite the economy and fuel, Aircraft Mechanics are in the best position to make gains that we have ever been in. This opportunity could be short lived (FAR66)so we need to take advantage of it now.

Didn't AMFA have open negotiations?

Hey Bob. I went to the site and can't find the actual articles. Can you please direct me. $43.96 is great! The ibt is bringing us 35 and change just like the CAL guys. The crap is about to hit the fan. GT

Didn't AMFA have open negotiations?
Not only were they open to the membership, I think as many as 12 observers are allowed. They actually ask for opinions/advise from the membership during intermissions. With all the positives and negatives of the past, AMFA is still the only hope we have as a profession to unite industry wide and make the real gains we need to as a profession.

Hey Bob. I went to the site and can't find the actual articles. Can you please direct me. $43.96 is great! The ibt is bringing us 35 and change just like the CAL guys. The crap is about to hit the fan. GT

GT, you have got to be kidding..... $35 and change..... That is a slap in the face!

Try this theres a link that says "direct link to M&R proposals

http://www.twu562.org/
or;
http://aa.twu.org/tentativeagreements/tentative.asp

Article 4 is Compensation.

I dont think that $43.96 is "great" but I think its sellable. Our real wage would still be considerably lower than it was in 2003 before we took the concessions. It would only bring us to number 4 in the indfustry, behind UPS, FED Ex, and SWA. Remember the days when everyone always went for "Industry Leading" so we could just about keep up with inflation? When you've been stuck in the bottom of the sewer for ten years I guess the gutter looks good.

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars’
Oscar Wilde

We must close the gap and not leave the UPS guys hanging out there by themselves but I figure if you guys reject yours like we did then AA would be nervous and be more agreeable. If we get $43.96, then you guys meet or beat that, Delta will up the ante, especially if there's a union drive going on for the mechs, same with Jet Blue. Then SWA, USAIR and AA go back into negotiations in 2012 and we can start closing the gap with UPS. Until we do they wont be able to go any higher.

GT, here is what you're looking for. http://aa.twu.org/tentativeagreements/tentative.asp
Not that I'm speaking highly of the TWU, I do understand them and the teamsters are like one. But, you guys are getting a lot more info than we ever got or get at CAL/ULA.

Not that I'm speaking highly of the TWU, I do understand them and the teamsters are like one. But, you guys are getting a lot more info than we ever got or get at CAL/ULA.

We (the Negotiating Committee) kept a lid on it till we put it across to management. The mediator wanted us to get some dialogue going before we hit the economics. We agreed that once management sees it then so would the guys. We gave it to Management on Thursday and had it out Friday. Its one thing if you dont want managemnet to see it, another to let management see it and keep it from the guys. AA Management requested time to put it to their board, thats why it was delayed a day, we gave management that, plus it takes some time to put it all out there since we were doing two at the same time (M&R and Stores), then they snuck out a misleading statement claiming that we were raising their costs by three quarters of a billion dollars, that was the cost over the four years the proposal covered. The real cost for the 11,000 members it covered was less than $200 million per year(Even those numbers I feel are inflated). We gave $320 million year in concessions in 2003(it was probably a lot more than that), or $2.56 billion to date(not counting headcount losses and productivitygains etc). We are asking for less than $200 million of that $320 million back 8 years later. I'd say we are letting them off very easy.

They only announced this Friday, I'd give them a couple of days to get it out.

Try this theres a link that says "direct link to M&R proposals

http://www.twu562.org/
or;
http://aa.twu.org/tentativeagreements/tentative.asp

Article 4 is Compensation.

I dont think that $43.96 is "great" but I think its sellable. Our real wage would still be considerably lower than it was in 2003 before we took the concessions. It would only bring us to number 4 in the indfustry, behind UPS, FED Ex, and SWA. Remember the days when everyone always went for "Industry Leading" so we could just about keep up with inflation? When you've been stuck in the bottom of the sewer for ten years I guess the gutter looks good.

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars’
Oscar Wilde

We must close the gap and not leave the UPS guys hanging out there by themselves but I figure if you guys reject yours like we did then AA would be nervous and be more agreeable. If we get $43.96, then you guys meet or beat that, Delta will up the ante, especially if there's a union drive going on for the mechs, same with Jet Blue. Then SWA, USAIR and AA go back into negotiations in 2012 and we can start closing the gap with UPS. Until we do they wont be able to go any higher.

Got it. Thank you. I emailed it out to my fellow CAL and UAL Mechanics and Related. I agree with you 100%. GT