Ual Alpa Reaches Tentative Agrrement

ualdriver

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
To: All United Pilots

The UAL-MEC Negotiating Committee has reached a Tentative Agreement with the company relative to the Term Sheet proposal recently submitted to ALPA under the provisions of Section 1113 of the Bankruptcy Code.

ualdriver said:
To: All United Pilots

The UAL-MEC Negotiating Committee has reached a Tentative Agreement with the company relative to the Term Sheet proposal recently submitted to ALPA under the provisions of Section 1113 of the Bankruptcy Code.
[post="228668"][/post]​
Is this a sick joke?

No kidding......surprise! BOHICA boys!

Of course, not to say all the other unions won't take it up the pooper also...they will. What a fun career! :huh:

United, pilots reach tentative deal
Agreement first among UAL's unions in latest negotiations

By David Kesmodel, Rocky Mountain News
December 14, 2004

United Airlines pilots union announced to members Monday that negotiators had reached a tentative agreement on labor concessions. The airline also said that it will slash pay and benefits for its nonunion employees.

The Air Line Pilots Association told pilots that its negotiating committee tentatively agreed to cost cuts, but it didn't disclose details. It is the first union at the company to say it has reached a tentative agreement in the latest round of concessions at United. The move is significant because the carrier is pressing for reductions by mid-January as part its effort to exit bankruptcy protection next year.

The union's leadership said it will conduct a one-day meeting in Chicago on Thursday to review the pact. If it endorses the deal, it will ask pilots to vote on it.

United had told the pilots that it required $191 million in annual concessions from the group in some combination of wage and benefit cuts and work-rule changes.

The giant carrier said permanent pay cuts for nonunion workers will range from 4 percent to 11 percent. It said it will save about $112 million a year from the cutbacks, which affect U.S.-based salaried and management workers and expatriates.

The reductions are part of the $725 million in annual labor cost cuts United wants from its workers.

The cutbacks for nonunion employees, which take effect Jan. 1, have been expected because United has said it would trim wages across the company.

Denver's dominant carrier said salaried workers will take a permanent 4 percent pay cut plus a temporary reduction of 4 percent that will last until United emerges from Chapter 11 protection.

Management employees will take a permanent 6 percent pay cut. For officers, the cut will be 8 percent. For the eight members of United's executive council, including Chief Executive Glenn Tilton, the cut will be 11 percent. Managers, officers and the council also will take a temporary cut of 4 percent.

The airline previously said Tilton's annual salary would decline to $605,625 from $712,500 as part of the cost-cutting effort.

United, the operating unit of UAL Corp., said it also plans to revise benefits for salaried and management staffers. It is studying changes to medical and dental programs and holiday and vacation schedules.

Further savings will come from productivity improvements. The cuts affect about 8,500 workers, including about 800 in Denver.

"This is very difficult for all our employees," said Sara Fields, United's senior vice president for people. "But it is absolutely essential if we are to build a strong and healthy company."

Chicago-based United also has said it likely will end its deeply underfunded pension plans, including the one for nonunion employees, and replace them with less-generous 401(k)-style plans.

The carrier has said it thinks it can wring $2 billion in further annual cost savings through the pension terminations, the wage and benefit cuts and non-labor cost-reduction efforts. It previously cut annual operating expenses by about $5 billion.

United wants cutbacks with all of its unions in place by mid-January in part because it faces pressure on its liquidity amid high jet-fuel prices and depressed airfares. The carrier must maintain at least $750 million in unrestricted cash under terms of its bankruptcy loans.

If the unions don't agree to concessions, the carrier will ask a federal bankruptcy judge to let it void its contracts and impose new terms.

United filed for bankruptcy two years ago and has amassed more than $9 billion in net losses since the end of 2000.

The airline says it will share profits with employees if it exits bankruptcy and starts making money again. It also says it hopes to give workers an ownership stake in the company after bankruptcy.

Fly said:
The airline previously said Tilton's annual salary would decline to $605,625 from $712,500 as part of the cost-cutting effort.
[post="228848"][/post]​

Oh, my. :shock: And, I don't think he and his wife have any children left at home. They may not qualify for food stamps even with the draconian paycut. How will they survive?

jimntx said:
Oh, my. :shock: And, I don't think he and his wife have any children left at home. They may not qualify for food stamps even with the draconian paycut. How will they survive?
[post="228849"][/post]​

Some people will never be happy. All along many have asked "why won't management take a pay cut?" Now they do, a significant one at that, and you're still not satisfied.

What will it take? Should the CEO of the second largest airline in the world make as much as a "baggage smasher?"

Here's a news flash... Tilton is payed well below the norm for his position. I commend him for sharing in the pain. We're all taking it in the shorts. The sooner we get over it the better.

Get over the paycheck envy and move forward for God's sake!

I agree -- you should have followed a different path if you wanted higher wages. Although you would think that the crap we are dealing with would make this airline a complete cluster****, the employees sure pull off an act for our customers. You would never be able to tell the infighting we have going on by how we are performing.

767jetz said:
Some people will never be happy. All along many have asked "why won't management take a pay cut?" Now they do, a significant one at that, and you're still not satisfied.

What will it take? Should the CEO of the second largest airline in the world make as much as a "baggage smasher?"

Here's a news flash... Tilton is payed well below the norm for his position. I commend him for sharing in the pain. We're all taking it in the shorts. The sooner we get over it the better.

[post="229032"][/post]​

:angry: "baggage smasher?"

You and 'Driver' might compare notes.

Being the 'Dicks'!!! That you both are, I would rather confront you both on one thread rather in multiple threads as it appears that you are of the some mindset.

You are some of the most contemptuous pampas asses that I have communicated with to date. I am ashamed to be associated with you in 'company name' and in your inclusion into a 'unionized' organization (as such as it is) should not be acceptable as well.

So, let’s not be presumptuous in the future. Do not consider me ‘friendly fire’ as I have tried to be. I have heard quite enough ‘solidarity’ from the pilot community, and what I have seen/heard/read/felt gives me nausea as to the intentions of ALPA.

You believe that the rest of us ‘peasants’ do not see the tethers that ALPA has on the operations of UAL and we are a group of incompetents.

Get a Clue Fly Boy!!!

View attachment 2289 UT

767jetz said:
[post="229032"][/post]​

Um, 767....

this is not 'moving forward'

Here's how it goes - we all take another round of cuts. Our bloated management with a new infusion of cash comes up with another bevy of lame-brained schemes and plans, hires another load of consultants and pretty much just pisses that cash down the drain.

sound familiar?

My, my, my....

Looks like some decaf coffee is in order.

I must agree with ualdriver when he says that tempers are flaring because people are facing the reality of their fair share of cuts, unlike the last round when ALPA took a disproportionate hit.

And the reality is that pilots will be hit harder again just in the pensions.

The whole idea that I should take a an even bigger cut so you don't have to, is what makes me sick. Fair is fair, no matter where you fall on the pyramid.

As for the paycheck envy, people need to get over it. I don't begrudge Tilton for making $600,000, because I don't see that as an excessive salary considering the position. If I wanted to be the CEO of a large company, I could have pursued that avenue.

And by the way UAL TECH, I used to be a "bag smasher" for UAL many years ago, so I think I have a unique perspective on the situation. I worked Ramp service, but I also knew I wanted to improve my income and quality of life. So worked my a$$ off and now I fly the jets instead of servicing and loading them. That was my choice. No one handed it to me.

I also remember other Ramp Service guys in the ready room laughing when I told them I want to be in the cockpit. As if to say "You're just a lowly rampie. You can't fly jets!" That was their own mindset. So please don't preach to me about contempt!
:down:

767jetz said:
My, my, my....

Looks like some decaf coffee is in order.

I must agree with ualdriver when he says that tempers are flaring because people are facing the reality of their fair share of cuts, unlike the last round when ALPA took a disproportionate hit.
[post="229078"][/post]​
I know for myself I don't have any sympathy for you. After all, you guys took a pay cut on a bigger pay raise that nobody else got and still ended up with a pay raise.

So, it seems more than fair that your share SHOULD be greater, at least in the first round. I think most of us agree that it had something to do with getting into the position we were in at the time anyway.

In other words, it was a wash the first time around.

Latest posts