Advanced
Jan 20, 2003
Bad news for ALL airlines...

AP
Oil Rise Could Lead UAL to Ground Planes
Wednesday November 7, 4:50 pm ET
By Dave Carpenter, AP Business Writer
United Exec Says Oil Price Increase Could Cause It to Ground Planes

CHICAGO (AP) -- United Airlines could ground up to 100 or more of its airplanes if soaring fuel prices ultimately cause consumers to buy fewer tickets, a top executive said Wednesday.
As crude oil prices approach $100 a barrel, Chief Financial Officer Jake Brace said there has not yet been any evidence of a falloff in demand, which has been strong since the second quarter.

But he said United, a unit of UAL Corp., and other airlines eventually will have to deal with skyrocketing prices by either raising fares further or reducing capacity rather than flying with too many empty seats.

"Either the industry passes on the higher fuel prices or we're going to have to lower capacity, but you have to make the equation work," he said in comments to a Goldman Sachs conference in New York.

Brace said United has a little more than 100 aircraft unencumbered by debt, including 50 Boeing 737s, "that we could ground whenever we needed to if the demand environment were such that it didn't make sense to fly those planes."

The 100 planes would represent more than a fifth of United's mainline fleet of about 460 aircraft, as of Dec. 31.

It also has 13 narrow-body airplanes and one 757 coming off lease in 2008 that also could help it adjust capacity.

"We can adjust the domestic fleet by putting planes on the ground," Brace said.

United fully controls planes that are unencumbered by debt, and would not have to answer to creditors if there were grounded.

United executives had said they expected 2008 capacity to be flat to up 1 percent, by shrinking domestic capacity by 3 percent to 4 percent and growing international capacity to offset that.

Brace said those plans were made when oil cost $20 less per barrel than it does now. If fare increases don't stick, capacity cuts are likely, he indicated.

"We're taking it under advisement right now," he said. "It's hard to tell what's going to happen to fuel prices from here. But we're getting ready to react to it."

Besides its mainline fleet, United also had 290 aircraft operated by regional partners as of Dec. 31.

I wonder if they would increase regional flying? Seems like 70 seat aircraft could easily fill the gap or if this could be a primer for a merger or sell off; reduce overlap to gain govermental approval?????

Oh, yes - everything is leading to the sell off... Didn't you get the memo??? Did you read the article?? If demand drops off, and ticket prices rise - although at this point we are seeing none of that.. Trust me, if fuel gets high enough, everyone will be parking planes, I would venture to say that NWA and AA will park their 9's and 80's along with most peoples 737s by UAL and US and DALs 80's as well. Also, you need to read the new EOUA, It came out today, talking about UALs growth in Asia.. Also check out the article about UAL approaching Airbus and Boeing about new narrowbodies that mirror the 787 and 350.... I can't wait to see what the people in negotiations will get with oil over 100 a barrell.... This will be a sight to see... Raise the bar girls... Raise the bar!!!!

I'm not doubting that the rising prices will affect all carriers. I'm just suprised that UA would announce something so draconian in nature. I read the article. I also read the article that Doug Parker was quoted as saying that US was not in a good position with oil in the 100 dollar range. I would bet that NW would look at parking their DC-9's.

The thing that does not make sense to me is the continued flying of 37-50 seat regional jets that are some of the least economical aircraft flying. Eagle/AA conection operates a lot of sub 50 seat jets and from what I have read those have a higher CASM. I'd imagine regionals would be looking to decrease those flights and increase the more economical 70-90 seat jet flying. I would not be suprised to see the majors reduce their domestic and focus more on international and outsource more flying to regionals with 70-90 seat jets. It lowers pay for the industryand that sucks but it seems like the trend lately....

Oh, yes - everything is leading to the sell off... Didn't you get the memo??? Did you read the article?? If demand drops off, and ticket prices rise - although at this point we are seeing none of that.. Trust me, if fuel gets high enough, everyone will be parking planes, I would venture to say that NWA and AA will park their 9's and 80's along with most peoples 737s by UAL and US and DALs 80's as well. Also, you need to read the new EOUA, It came out today, talking about UALs growth in Asia.. Also check out the article about UAL approaching Airbus and Boeing about new narrowbodies that mirror the 787 and 350.... I can't wait to see what the people in negotiations will get with oil over 100 a barrell.... This will be a sight to see... Raise the bar girls... Raise the bar!!!!

It appears to me, any raise the rank and file of the industry was looking for, went straight into the pockets of the skilled "talent". Suckers are make to be played...and we were played...but hard and fast!

Good evening. By now, many of you have read or heard reports that United is planning to ground 100 aircraft. The reports are based on comments I made at a Goldman Sachs conference yesterday in New York. I want to put the story straight and get the facts into the right context. First, let me be clear, we are not grounding airplanes.

At the conference, I was talking with analysts about how the industry would respond to an economic environment where oil is hovering near $100 a barrel. I was reinforcing to the analysts a point that I believe strongly: United has more flexibility to respond to economic challenges than our competitors. We have a great network that gives us the opportunity to move our aircraft around in response to changes in worldwide economics. We have managed our U.S. domestic capacity very well. We have a strong cash balance and good cash flow. We are in a very good fundamental position.

As part of that conversation, I also brought up, as one point about our flexibility, the fact that we have more than 100 aircraft that are debt-free. Because they are unencumbered, if oil prices stay high and if we cannot pass the costs on to our customers, one way to manage our capacity could be to ground aircraft, which we could do without incurring ongoing costs. It was one point in a larger conversation about the possible responses we would have in an extreme environment, which the analysts in the room understood. Unfortunately, the point was picked up by reporters listening to the webcast as something we were considering, rather than a possibility if certain conditions occurred.

There is no underestimating the impact the price of oil has on our industry. It’s a significant issue for every airline and something we are watching every day. Just today, we announced a $10 fare increase on U.S. domestic flights to offset higher fuel costs. We will continue to weigh our options to manage the impact the price of oil has on our business and we will certainly inform you in a much more deliberate way if we ever get to a point where decisions as serious as grounding 100 aircraft are necessary.

In the meantime, as Pete reinforced in a recent email, the best course for all of us is a continued focus on fuel conservation, efficiency and looking for cost savings at every opportunity.

Jake

Deja vu.

In 1991 Bob Crandall made a similar statement/threat: He said he would park all of AA's 727s (at that time they still flew well over 100 of them--100s and -200s) if oil prices remained above the level they were then at due to the Gulf War ($40/bbl?--don't remember).
Oil prices soon retreated, and 727s soldiered on at AA (and UA) for over another decade.

Here's hoping they park the 100 planes. Beauty will be furloughed and won't have the ability to vote in the horrible work rules (ie - 65 hours a month mins) in which she will someday be forced to live by. Some people just can't seem to see far enough ahead to keep from hurting themselves.

Here's to parking the planes!
party-smiley-556.gif
party-smiley-565.gif
tongue-smiley-8861.gif

To be so bitter AND so junior. Sad!

Here's hoping they park the 100 planes. Beauty will be furloughed and won't have the ability to vote in the horrible work rules (ie - 65 hours a month mins) in which she will someday be forced to live by. Some people just can't seem to see far enough ahead to keep from hurting themselves.

Fly...I am TOTALLY with you on this one. Christ, flight attendants gave the company MORE hours during the Kevin "Lump Sum" contract of 1997 (the 10-Year that no one seems to remember voting for) by allowing the domestic operation go to a quarterly system. During the road shows of '97 I continued telling our colleagues that they were going to screw themselves as reserves. The contract got ratified and a reserve who flew 65 hours in month one soon discovered that they had to avail themselves for 85-90 hours the next month. I've come to the conclusion that most...not all...but most...F/A's are lazy and apathetic about their own career. I agree with you wholeheartedly: They bring it upon themselves.
NO MONTHLY MINIMUMS!

More proof positive that Jake "The Village Idiot" Brace should have been fired about 7 years ago! Has anyone in the history of corporate America ever matched his incompetence and kept their job?

I think he has some videos of the apres-board meeting shenanigans...You know, the ones they pay money to keep in a vault somewhere...

It just goes to show you how much of a quid pro quo relationship exists between United's BOD and it's senior executive team. There is no objectivity when the CEO chooses most of the board. They, in turn, become beholden and loyal to him. Not good for any company to have such an arrangement. Just ask anyone who worked for Enron. No other company would reward such incompetence. Yet, Brace manages to keep his job and get bigger bonuses each year. He was an incompetent elitist windbag when he ran the Finance Department. I thought Doug Hacker was the poster-child for executive shortcomings when he was still at United, doing absolutely nothing to earn his pay. But Brace makes him seem like Executive of the Year. Amazing.

It just goes to show you how much of a quid pro quo relationship exists between United's BOD and it's senior executive team. There is no objectivity when the CEO chooses most of the board. They, in turn, become beholden and loyal to him. Not good for any company to have such an arrangement. Just ask anyone who worked for Enron. No other company would reward such incompetence. Yet, Brace manages to keep his job and get bigger bonuses each year. He was an incompetent elitist windbag when he ran the Finance Department. I thought Doug Hacker was the poster-child for executive shortcomings when he was still at United, doing absolutely nothing to earn his pay. But Brace makes him seem like Executive of the Year. Amazing.

Precisely. Reason why UA's management has no credibility and must await a big-bang event from the outside before change will happen.

Sad that Brace would make an off-the-cuff comment about grounding 100 planes and aggravate the stress of his front-line associates.

Jake don't care because he's cashing out.

Can't you people overthrow him already?

Latest posts