Ual Reaches Agreement To Termiante Pensions

ualobserver

Sep 16, 2002
(Reuters) — United Airlines reached an agreement with the U.S. government on Friday to terminate its employee pension plans, union officials said.
Under the deal to be announced later in the day, the federal Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. will assume four retirement plans covering pilots, flight attendants, mechanics, ground workers and other employees. United has sought to cut costs by eliminating its traditional pensions and negotiate cheaper deals with its unions.

I fail to see why this is a surprise to anyone.

There will be no stike due to this issue. (Not a legal one that is.)

And I certainly don't see how the company saving $600-$700 Million per year leads to a liquidation. :blink:

These are cheap shots by people who are bitter or hope that UAL will fail for their personal benefit.

This will make life very difficult for those airlines who still offer traditional pension plans. I have to imagine they will immediately begin looking for ways to eliminate theirs as well.

Whether or not they will be successful, however, is another matter. But I suspect we will hear from the heads of AA, CO, DL, and NW on the matter.

767jetz said:

And I certainly don't see how the company saving $600-$700 Million per year leads to a liquidation. :blink:

These are cheap shots by people who are bitter or hope that UAL will fail for their personal benefit.
[post="263999"][/post]​

You are clueless to how this will have a profound affect on the pension plans at ALL AIRLINES!
When are you going to wake up and realize that you do not live on a island?

Correct.

Now explain to me why our doing what we need to, to remain employed is any surprise to you?

We will do whatever is necessary for OUR company. And you will do whatever is necessary for YOURS.

Do you honestly think that we are going to take a stand so that YOU can remain employed with pension and salary, and we can stand in the unemployment line? Not going to happen.

If you feel this strongly about it, why don't you all take a stand and say NO when your airline comes a beggin'......cuz they will!

As long as Southwest and Jetblue don't have pension's then the major will try and level the playing field and get rid of their pensions. don't blame United for trying to survive, blame the airlines that refused to give their employees the same benefits that the rest of the airlines were enjoying in the '90"s.

767jetz said:

[post="263999"][/post]​
Hold on...If United hasn't been paying into its plans for the past year or so, how is this going to save them 600-700 million a year? It'll be status quo.

Fly said:
Correct.

Now explain to me why our doing what we need to, to remain employed is any surprise to you?

We will do whatever is necessary for OUR company. And you will do whatever is necessary for YOURS.

Do you honestly think that we are going to take a stand so that YOU can remain employed with pension and salary, and we can stand in the unemployment line? Not going to happen.

If you feel this strongly about it, why don't you all take a stand and say NO when your airline comes a beggin'......cuz they will!
[post="264016"][/post]​

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yo fly,

I'm gonna sing you a little song.
Ready ?

" So it's "1" , "2", "3".........."STRIKES" yer out , at the ol' ball game " !!!!!!!!
IAM...AMFA...AAFA(?)

Sorry, It IS what it IS !!!!!

NH/BB's

Fly said:
Correct.

[post="264016"][/post]​

I understand your statement that you will do what is necessary for your career survival.
I believe that you are badly mistaken if you think UAL is "OUR" company.
UAL clearly belongs to Glenn Tilton and judge Eugene Wedoff and not the employees of UAL.

The stand I will take if AA steals my pension is personal one.Walk away from 20 years of service and go to another career totally different than aviation.We are already having several 14-15year veteran mechanics leaving here at TUL for the railroad and trucking industry. My POSSIBILTY of a defined benefit pension plan is the only reason I'm still here at AA.

767jetz said:

[post="263999"][/post]​
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Are u sure ur not A320from US?.. Geee you two are starting to look and sound like the same..Both of U are drinking the company kool-aid..WAKE UP BOYS!!!!

I wonder if Tilton and the senior management types got their pensions, severance bonuses, under the table consulting fees, and incentive pays, etc. touched.

Ya think? Tilton and the execs are laughing all the way to the country club.

Just shutup, bend over, and take it like a xxxxx.