Ual Solicits Regionals...

Rob

Senior
Aug 19, 2002
From UAL's press release: "Companies that received an RFP include: Air Wisconsin, Trans States, Chautauqua, Mesa, SkyWest, Independence Air, Horizon, Pinnacle, Mesaba and Express Jet."

I wonder why "the partner" didn't ask US to bid. It's hard to believe some sort of *profitable* proposal could not have been put together with Dash8's and RJs.

Isn't Piedmont as capable as other captive operators like ExpressJet and Pinnacle?

You're probably right; but wouldn't it be nice to have some portion of the business operating at a guaranteed profit.

LY is right,

What RJ capacity we have now, and wie can add later is still neeeded by Airways. Although I possibly could guess at TSA moving it's 20 somethiing ERJ fleet over with the rest of thier operation at UAL since PIT is being phased down.

Another reason is that ALG/PDT is already scheduled to grow in size in the next few months. They plan to add 200 pilots and additional Dash 8''s to cover additional flying. That much has been stated in union code-a-phones,

Rumor wise, it is clear that the opportunity exists to pick up real cheap short term leases on DHC-8 aircraft right now, in particular the larger and quieter 50 seat 300 series.

Wave of the future...? No, but a revenue positive addition that makes sense right now with high oil prices and short stage lengths. There is a world of difference between a newer 300Q or even a 400Q model over the tired and worn 100's that they have ben phasing out.

I suspect it would have to be an all or nothing deal for this to work... It would be nearly impossible, over time, to determine which UA*/US flights are pay-per-departure and which ones are merely a pro-rate code-share. Then to have some UA*/US flights operate as "United Express" and some UA*/US flights operate as "US Airways, Star Alliance member"... Very confusing. It would have to be all (all of US Airways operates as United Express) or status-quo.

Geez, with these guys, I am surprised they didn't come up with this, as they seem to try to make things as complicated as possible.

I'm gagging as I write this, but maybe a certain 320Pilot's erotic dream might come true. UAL already has a code-share with U. With what's most likely to be left of U can become UAL's regional and viola! The UCT emerges! Not quite what 320P might have liked, but at least he'll have the satisfaction of knowing he was the Cassandra, boring and irritating to us all, while he "spoke" the truth no one believed.

I'm going to bed. I've obviously reached the point of complete silliness. Please forgive me.

Best wishes to all UAL employees. Hold a good thought for us suckers at U. :(

Dea

Dea Certe said:
... UAL already has a code-share with U. With what's most likely to be left of U can become UAL's regional and viola! The UCT emerges! ...
[post="200312"][/post]​

I've long thought that one version of US's Plan B, C, D, etc. would be to shrink the airline drastically and become solely a feeder for UAL. Their cost components really are getting low and if they got out of their high-cost route system and into 500-1,000 mile feeder segments for UAL, they could probably make money.

Rob said:
I've long thought that one version of US's Plan B, C, D, etc. would be to shrink the airline drastically and become solely a feeder for UAL. Their cost components really are getting low and if they got out of their high-cost route system and into 500-1,000 mile feeder segments for UAL, they could probably make money.
[post="203777"][/post]​

"There is no PLAN B" ---Rakkesh Gangwall, CEO US Airways

Stated after failed UAL merger...a BAD decision (having no plan B, mustless C or D)haunting U still today. <_<

Latest posts