NC
Via Facsimile & U. S. Mail
Mr. Bruce Lakefield
President & C.E.O.
US Airways, Inc.
2345 Crystal Drive
Arlington, VA 22227

Dear Mr. Lakefield:

US Airways management has requested IAM participation in meetings regarding the company’s appeal for additional concessions from the IAM-represented employee groups.

Because of these repeated requests, it is necessary that we reiterate our official
position that there are significant and meaningful cost savings that can be achieved to make US Airways successful and profitable.

Our members have identified how this can be done, and we have provided the
framework for US Airways to save millions of dollars without reopening our collective bargaining agreements.

We believe there is significant waste at US Airways and that constructive
dialogue on these employee-developed proposals would improve operations for the
benefit of the company and its employees.

Further, your implementation of these proposals will go a long way in repairing
the relationship between the IAM-represented employees and US Airways. Improving the morale of all the employees at US Airways is an essential element in making the airline competitive and profitable. Although this problem developed under a previous management team, it is up to you, working collaboratively with all your employees, to repair it. Obviously, this would be to the benefit of the company and its employees, and would flow directly to the bottom line.

These ideas include, but are not limited to:

1) Implementation of a crew chief concept;

2) Improving Safety Programs; and

3) Reduction of maintenance costs through employee involvement in
maintenance expenditures, which would result in streamlining work and
reducing vendor cost.

Our members have made a significant investment in US Airways and they are
prepared to protect that investment through employee involvement in the running of day-to-day operations. However, they are not prepared to enter into any negotiation that would result in a reduction in wages, benefits or scope language.

I urge you and your management team to recognize that employee morale is at a
detrimental level and US Airways must begin to listen to those that actually do the
day-to-day work.

I must reiterate that it is in the best interests of US Airways to pick our members’
brains instead of attempting to pick their pockets.

Sincerely,
Robert Roach, Jr.
GENERAL VICE PRESIDENT

Randy Canale
PRESIDENT/DIRECTING GENERAL CHAIRMAN
IAM DISTRICT LODGE 141

William O’Driscoll
PRESIDENT/DIRECTING GENERAL CHAIRMAN
IAM DISTRICT LODGE 142

RR/tlm
cc: Buffenbarger
Celona
Varsel
Cronk
GLRs

Well lets hope they stand their ground. It is so good to see a union stand up and say NO MORE, just fix it.

I just want to cry I am so happy.

Go IAM make your members proud.

MrAeroMan said:
They're playing right into the companies hands.
Whats that mean?

And if thats a good thing why do they negotiate with any of the unions why not just take it to BK and rape them all?

usairways_vote_NO said:
Whats that mean?

And if thats a good thing why do they negotiate with any of the unions why not just take it to BK and rape them all?
The company knows they can't win against all the unions in another bankruptcy filing and they also knew they would get one or two unions that would put on the brakes and not negotiate at all. The IAM has filled that prophecy and will be at the mercy of the judge when the next filing comes. I believe all the other unions will have 1113 letters and the company will present it's case to the judge that they have tried with the IAM but they just won't respond. The judge will then begin the process and it will result in an abrogated contract and finally a job action by the IAM against the company. What will be the fallout of such an action?? Time will tell but it won't be good for anyone.

MrAeroMan said:
Time will tell but it won't be good for anyone.
What I think will figure big in all this is how the arbitration ruliing fits in. If , and a big if, the company wins does the judge consider that when he makes ruling on abrogating contract? If union wins does judge say go back and negotiate in good faith now that it is settled. There is a alot of angles to play out hanging on the arbitration ruling.

As a customer service agent, I applaud the IAM stand against the company demand for more money. I see nothing but wasted revenue being thrown out the door everyday. Thousands of dollars daily spend on delayed baggage claims and delivers just at this station alone. Tens of thousands of dollars a day going out the door on the oversales from overbooked internation flights at PHL. Airplanes setting on the ground in the west coast cities overnight that could be used to generate more revenue. And hundreds of free trips being given away domestically for more overbooked flights. The company needs to address the waste in operations of the airline before taking money out of the employees pockets to squander away on bad business management. This company has no concern for employee moral. That is nothing they want to deal with. So dont expect anyone from management at any level to be concerned with employee moral. This company changed when the Wolfe/Gangwal pair entered the picture, spent BILLIONS on new airplanes, then exited taking millions with them. Bruce Lakefield can take his BRAVO ZULU and put it where the sun dont shine. Who got time to take care of our customers while we're working short staffed and dealing with irate customers and giving away first class to every frequent flyer that wants it??? Listen Mr. Lakefield...this isnt customer service we provide anymore...it's customer processing....just like cattle.

PineyBob said:
Really? What happened? Break a nail posting on company time?

BTW the club in BWI is really nice and the folks who work here are all very positive and friendly. Hmm Wonder why? Positive attitude can work wonders.
no i fell off my lazy boy while napping on company time. ;)

PineyBob said:

BTW the club in BWI is really nice and the folks who work here are all very positive and friendly. Hmm Wonder why? Positive attitude can work wonders.
Not to burst your bubble Bob, but the Club people are in many ways so far isolated from whats really going on, it would be kind of hard not to be happy about working there. From talking with many of the Club reps in my station, most really are living on a different planet as far as what US is up against and doing right now. I have a friend who now "works" in the PHL clubs and even he agrees that its its own little world up there.

They got a nice raise a couple of years ago, dont have to deal with many policy or procedure problems, no ticketing except in reroutes, and only deal with the very frequent flyers who have a clue as to what travel is all about these days. Also, they have a little nicer environment to be working in vs the majority of the front liners who deal with the pushing and shoving of the huddled masses going on below in the airport. I'd be lovin life too if I worked there.

WestCoastGuy said:
Airplanes setting on the ground in the west coast cities overnight that could be used to generate more revenue.
Aircraft cannot fly for an infinite period of time. Long overnight visits, such as those in SFO and LAX (especially afternoon LAX arrivals that sit until the next morning), give the maintenance department valuable time to get necessary work done on aircraft, whether it be clearing MEL items or completing overnight A/B checks. It's like the old FRAM commercial, you can pay me now, or pay me later. If only the rest of the operation heeded those words?

N628AU said:
Aircraft cannot fly for an infinite period of time. Long overnight visits, such as those in SFO and LAX
Wonder why they shut down SAN and do think LAX and SFO will stay open assuming the airline stays open?

Latest posts