Union Turbulence – Letter-to-editor

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
THANKS TO THE recent Christmas work action, I will never fly US Airways again, and hope the airline goes out of business.

I want to see all those thug union employees out of work, reaping what they so graciously sowed.

Their families deserve to have many holidays ruined in the same way these animals destroyed Christmas for thousands of innocent people. Going forward, when I choose to fly, or do any type of business, I will select the companies that have the smallest union footprint, and preferably none at all.

Ray Markey , Haddon Heights, N.J.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Letters – Don’t Blame Airline

A thought for travelers and their bags stranded by US Airways over the Christmas weekend: Don't blame the airline, blame yourself. Your incessant demands for ever-lower fares have resulted in cheap tickets for you and massive pay cuts and layoffs for airline employees. Before you complain about missing your holiday or arriving without your packages, think about former airline employees who are unemployed, or current employees who are scrambling to just make ends meet.

If you want service, you pay for it. But that's the problem with the airline industry today: Customers have champagne tastes with beer credit cards. You want Nordstrom-in-the-Sky, but you'll pay only Wal-Mart prices.

A.R. Manning /San Francisco

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

CLTObserver Forum: Letters to the editor

Too much baggage worsened meltdown

The US Airways meltdown, though caused by disgruntled employees, was exacerbated by passengers who failed to adhere to the airline's generous baggage allowance and by others who outright abused the privilege.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
THANKS TO THE recent Christmas work action, I will never fly US Airways again, and hope the airline goes out of business.

I want to see all those thug union employees out of work, reaping what they so graciously sowed.

Their families deserve to have many holidays ruined in the same way these animals destroyed Christmas for thousands of innocent people. Going forward, when I choose to fly, or do any type of business, I will select the companies that have the smallest union footprint, and preferably none at all.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="235515"][/post]​
....Sounds like Ray will never be flying Southwest.......Evidently Mr. Markey didn't read Senior Vice President of Labor Relations Gerald Glass's comments on this years Christmas operational problems.......

When did the customers set the price they want to pay? The airlines are flaming them for something they offered.

The legacy airlines are offering a "Ruth Chris Steak House Experience" while asking the customer for Golden Corral prices. The low cost folks promise to take you from A to B and back again only . The legacy airines are offering you a First Class seat and airport lounges and other amenities thay cannot afford to offer.

Maybe the airlines should have a FED/EX counter at their ticket counts for pax who have more than carry on bags. I do understand why this man wrote a letter to the editor. It has been over a week and U management is still allowing the few in PHL to ruin their customers travel experience. Is it not time to take the control of the ever continuing problem? Don't think the cupcakes and coffee will fix this problem. Maybe if manangement took some tasty cakes and coffee down to the ramp break room, it might help.

USA320Pilot said:
Their families deserve to have many holidays ruined in the same way these animals destroyed Christmas for thousands of innocent people.

See Story

Yeah that's the Christmas spirit wish that someone's innocent family member have many holidays "ruined".

planeirish said:
When did the customers set the price they want to pay? The airlines are flaming them for something they offered.

The customers collectively (a.k.a "the market") sets the prices, not the airlines.

USA320Pilot said:

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="235515"][/post]​

Thugs? Animals? What a POS this guy is. Hey Ray, why'd you buy a ticket on U. Oh let me guess, it was the cheapest.

Dear Mr. Markey,

I read your note about US Airways and wanted to respond. If you really paid attention you would read the article on January 2 in which Jerry Glass (VP of something at US Airways) admitted that the employees did not cause these problems over the holiday. They were caused by the company furloughing too many employees without taking into account that the industry is never a routine operation. This was intensified by foul weather/irregular operations. The problem started two days BEFORE Christmas. The news media heard sick calls and caused a media sensation!

The company also cut salary by 35% and took away holiday pay thirty days prior to Christmas. The ‘thugs’ were forced to work mandatory overtime shifts of 16 hours per day on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The company only gives 8 hours off between shifts. Those ‘animals’ really didn‘t want to work that many hours in such a short time span but they had no choice. Before anyone called out sick on any day they were fifty-five shifts short! No one wanted to come in on their day off to work an 8 hour overtime shift because they knew that if they came in they would have to work 16 hours, mandatory overtime! That is NORMAL for Christmas at US Airways.

So, you have had your wish fulfilled over and over again for many, many years. These ‘thugs’ and ‘animals’ ALWAYS have a rotten Christmas. They just were better compensated for it a few years ago. Can you imagine your little children crying because their ‘thug’Mommy or ‘animal’ Daddy can’t come home for Christmas because they had to work a 16 hour day? Not just on one special day, but over and over again. These animals/thugs already know the odds for survival of this airline are poor. Since 9-11 20,000 of those employees have been furloughed. The ones that are left do not make enough to support their families any more. Some are loosing their homes, some have declared bankruptcy. A couple have died.

I feel very sorry for you. I want to wish bad things for you just as you do for all those animal/thug folk. I want to wish your live would fall apart, have your salary cut to $24,000 per year, have your lose your job and be unable to give your family presents of any kind. I really want to wish that your company went out of business and you lost your house, your family and all of your material wealth.

I pray that you are blessed in all areas of your life.

Sincerely,

A lucky ex-US Airways employee

By the way, you might want to stay away from Southwest Airlines too, because they are 85% union employees. They have the highest percentage of union employees on any US air carrier.

[post="235569"][/post]​
[/quote]

Geat Post! I hope the guy had a wonderful Christmas. I hope it was infinitely better than mine. I really do! (Actually, I'm sure it was better than mine!) I worked som 14 and 16 hour shifts during the holidays. I wonder if he did?

nycbusdriver said:
[post="235588"][/post]​

Great letter! Did you send it to the newspaper that published Markey's insensitive, ignorant tirade? If not, you should. If so, did it get published?
[post="235658"][/post]​
No, I just wanted to tell our side. Customers only care about their side and the news media just wants sensational news stories. I did contemplate snail mail but I changed my mind.

Latest posts