Unions And Concessions

The Mole

Jan 14, 2004
Airways’ plan to become a more efficient airline can be achieved with further concessions from the employees. Each employee should ask if they are prepared to save this company. I would consult this decision with your family members. Your decision will ultimately affect your love ones. Now is not the time to be influenced by your union leaders. Now is not the time to be selfish and buy into the union rhetoric that will destroy this company and your careers. Explain to your children that you don’t have a job anymore, but you fought a good fight for the union. Discuss with your spouses what your family will do financially if you are without a job because of your militant union stance.

Each employee should question if the unions have their best welfare in mind. The IAM members should question why there is a lack of communication from their leaders. Your union has not published an official document or conducted a polling of its membership about whether to give concessions or not. Union membership should not forget that YOU run the unions and not your leaders. Don’t allow your leaders to lead you down the wrong path. The path of unemployment is where the IAM members are heading if they don’t voice their complaints to the local leaders. Your union doesn’t have anything to lose by discussing with the company about possible concessions. Now is not the time to ponder on the Airbil outsourcing issue, concentrate on saving this company. Do the right thing! Help save this company by working with management. We can work with management to give the necessary give backs to enable us to fight the real enemies, the competitors.

The unions have secured some of the premier salaries in organized labor in the last few years. The current industry can’t support these salaries and compete with America West. We can compete with the LCCs, but we need to work together as a union and give management the essential concessions. Another bankruptcy won’t save jobs, but concessions might.

Nobody is idyllic with a state of affairs where salaries and benefits will be reduced. However, most employees realize the serious gravity of the current financial situation and are keen to do what it takes to help build a new future for Airways’. It is crucial that labor comes on board.

The Mole said:
Airways’ plan to become a more efficient airline can be achieved with further concessions from the employees.
Really? Show us. I don't buy it. The company will last longer, to be sure, but I have yet to see how concessions have even the teensiest bit to do with efficiency.

Now is not the time to be influenced by your union leaders.
Nope. But it's not the time for a lot of things that still seem to be happening, eh?

Explain to your children that you don’t have a job anymore, but you fought a good fight for the union.
Or maybe you can explain to them how, after concession round after concession round, nothing in the company changed other than being beaten up even more by WN, and how it wouldn't have mattered if they gave everything, because somehow nobody is willing to fix the rest of the broken airline.

Each employee should question if the unions have their best welfare in mind.
Agreed. Doesn't seem like anyone has their best welfare in mind. Really sucks to be in that position, doesn't it?

The path of unemployment is where the IAM members are heading if they don’t voice their complaints to the local leaders.
Or, even if they do. After all, their work is being outsourced anyway...

Now is not the time to ponder on the Airbil outsourcing issue
Actually, now is the time to ponder on it. After all, what's the point in considering renegotiation when the last one turned out so badly?

Help save this company by working with management.
Maybe management needs to help save this company by fixing the rest of what's broken, too. Oh, and while they're at it, it'd be nice to give the IAM the work that the company agreed to give them.

The unions have secured some of the premier salaries in organized labor in the last few years.
A few years ago. Not true anymore. And yet, despite the lower wages, the company still has the highest stage-length-adjusted CASM in the industry. Can't blame that on wages. What's the excuse?

Another bankruptcy won’t save jobs, but concessions might.
Not without fixing the rest of what's wrong.

However, most employees realize the serious gravity of the current financial situation and are keen to do what it takes to help build a new future for Airways’.
Yeah...too bad they're being forced to do it with both hands tied behind their backs. :(

Ahh,
The management moles are coming out. Sounds like someone is really scared.

The Mole said:
The current industry can’t support these salaries and compete with America West. We can compete with the LCCs, but we need to work together as a union and give management the essential concessions. Another bankruptcy won’t save jobs, but concessions might.

Nobody is idyllic with a state of affairs where salaries and benefits will be reduced. However, most employees realize the serious gravity of the current financial situation and are keen to do what it takes to help build a new future for Airways’. It is crucial that labor comes on board.
Hey Mole,

Sure sound like USA320...is he your brother or something....?

First of all I don't believe you know who U competitors are..I'll enlighten you as did our AFA financial analyst:

10% is Delta
5% is American
5% is United
2% is SW
1% is America West

Just want to clear the air that America West is not THE competition for U.

Lastly, if we concede as employees to allow U to terminate our defined pensions, there is no security or future here at U for the employees...there's just a company to work for.

Mweiss,

I'll be the first to say that sometimes you get the best of me and prick my last nerve; however, I appreciate your view in this case. It takes an intelligent person to seriously comtemplate both sides and their positions and come to the plate with a somewhat unbiased opinion.

With that said, two years ago I tried to understand mangement's position. I was all for this company and making it work. But you can only give so much before it becomes too much. One more penny is too much for me - especially when myself and others are ticked off because we see ways this company can be run more efficiently. What's the old saying? You have to learn to walk before you can run. In this case, someone has to run a company before one will consider investing more money.

My children will probably jump for joy when I leave this company. They have seen the heartache and stress it has caused me. Funny how mere toddlers can understand and sense such a thing, but adults can't.

Final note ...............

When the sun goes down, I'll be groovin............................

If a yes vote is cast the employees of U will take massive lay off's and pay cuts. If a no vote is cast the employees of U will take massive lay off's and pay cuts.
Except the fact that it’s over Mole.... now go back to your hole (Crystal City) where you belong.

I think everyone who thinks clearly understands it is NOT PAY CUTS that will save this company. Its leadership with a business plan that works and eliminating all the exsisting waste and excess management. Clean out Crystal Palace first and then put the company together the way an airline should be run. Dont come crying to labor blaming everything on them.

Honestly, I think it'd be far easier to shut the whole thing down and start from scratch. If it weren't going to put so many people out of work, I wouldn't even have a second thought about doing it, were I in the position to make such a decision.

TheLarkAscending said:
Hmmm, spreading a bunch of Molearchy. I thought someone broke that Moled. Does anyone else detect the faint aroma of Moleasses? ;) Would a mole by any other name smell as sweet? :rolleyes:
Read your post and thought I would MOLE over the afore mentioned post. After doing so, felt rather MOLEsted at his suggestions. Decided to reach for a tasty cold brew where the deer and the antelope and yes, MOLE reigns. It tasted much better and tickled my nose more pleasantly than the MOLEasses I was smelling earlier.

mweiss said:
Honestly, I think it'd be far easier to shut the whole thing down and start from scratch. If it weren't going to put so many people out of work, I wouldn't even have a second thought about doing it, were I in the position to make such a decision.
I was going to start a new thread on this, but the subject started so I'll start my rant.

I don't know one person who WANTS to lose a job. The first time I was laid off from U I was devastated. I gave and lost my job any way. Not a hot six months later they were asking for more. I came back in the middle of the second round. I go to work daily hearing threats and listening to the propaganda. Despite that fact, I have managed to continue to do an excellant job. I and all those left have carried this company. It is alive today because of us. I am tired of carrying the monkey on my back.

No I don't prefer to lose my job, but if it comes down to me losing it or giving more back so management can come back a year later to ask for more, then close the damn thing down. I am willing to take that risk. At least I'll know I did all I could do besides working for free.

Latest posts