Unions proposed former US Airways CEO for board

flyonthewall

Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/5580475.htm

Pitbull, I believe that you and the AFA were one of the strongest critics of this trio that was paid $35 million. Now the AFA is recruiting Rakesh Gangwal to represent them on the board. What a double standard! How can you complain about excessive management compensation when the AFA is recruiting one of the poster children for excessive executive compensation?

I see that your close friend Teddy Xidas stated in the article that Gangwal knows the company. Interesting that you don''t agree with your close friend.

Remember this thread that you started? US Airways holds out cup to taxpayers while execs get rich. You stated in this thread: “With these execs who were here only 6 years, their performance is definitely in question by many.†So, you question the performance of Gangwal, but you don’t care having him as your voice? AFA should be very embarrassed.

Maybe it is time for the flight attendants to find another group of union officers. I would recommend that all flight attendants who aren’t happy with the AFA begin by starting a petition that will decertify this group. Make you voice count!
In the thread titled “35 MILLIOM $$$$†You make the following comments: “AND THEY GIVE OUT $35 MILLION DOLLARS TO THREE PEOPLE IN THE COMPANY WHO TOTALLY MISMANGED THIS COMPANY and helped put us in such a predicament. Pitbull, can you explain your statement above? I guess that you don’t mind if Gangwal puts the AFA in another predicament. How can your group recruit someone who “mismanaged†the company as you claimed?
Maybe AFA should consider Frank Lorenzo as their next candidate!

No offense flyonthewall, but don''t you get it? Everybody has been treated so bad by Siegel that even Gangwal and Wolf look like friendly pussycats to the unions.

At the risk of shouting:

ANY LABOR LEADER WHO WOULD ELECT TO HAVE RAKESH GANGWAL REPRESENT LABOR ON THE BOARD OF U IS AN IDIOT. GANGWAL TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THE EVENTS OF 9/11 AND ADMITTED TO WALL STREET ANALYSTS THAT THOSE EVENTS POSITIONED US AIRWAYS WITH CERTAIN OPPORTUNITIES (WITH RESPECT TO LABOR CUTS) THAT THE COMPANY WOULD NOT CONTRACTUALLY HAVE OTHERWISE BEEN ABLE TO MAKE.

RAKESH GANGWAL IS NOT A FRIEND OF LABOR. NEVER HAS BEEN. NEVER WILL BE. AND ANY LABOR LEADERS WHO ADVANCE HIM TO REPRESENTION OF LABOR ON THE U BOARD OF DIRECTORS SHOULD DO SO WITH THE KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING THAT SAID LABOR LEADERS WILL PROBABLY BE THE SUBJECT OF RECALL ATTEMPTS.

DCAflyer

First, I don't agree that Rakesh would have been a good choice (didn't he have the "scream at you" reputation; wasn't he standing at the podium proclaiming 'NO PLAN B'; wasn't there a massive amount of money wasted on propaganda videos sent out starring and endorsed by none other than he?) I won't elaborate on the 15 mil. The AFA would be out of its mind if they'd agreed to this one. Maybe a popular newsletter author is correct in advocating an ousting of the AFA....this would have been a waste of union dues, and an example of terrible representation.

Secondly, I don't know Teddy, I've never flown or worked with her in any capacity. I was a commuting flight attendant based in PIT eons ago, but not when she was a part of the local MEC. I do hope everyone realizes that she is neither specifically nor solely responsible for every bad thing that may have happened in the current f/a contract.

Lastly, this behavior several here have displayed in this particular thread (and I gather that the 'pile-on PITbull' posters are management types) make PITbull appear meek, mature and sensible. I don't often agree with her posts and views, so you can imagine just how badly you're representing yourselves. The "Pile-On Posters" ought to be reading "All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum. You're behaving badly and it shows.

Post Script: You've made me damn glad I left the airline.

Brothers's, your *deleted*!!!

Do-do and Gang-wal!!!

We are 'ALL' *deleted*!!

Good luck to you and yours,

Take Care,

1.gif
  UAL_TECH

I do not support Rakesh Gangwal being on the board.
He was the first to flee when asked to work for 1.00
a year...At least Mr wolf stuck out the hard times and
tried to get a bk group together.

In all my years under Rakesh...I feel that his subordinates were afraid to speak the truth ...he
was headed in the right direction with accountability
and did clear out a lot of "dead wood". However,
eventually people were so afraid of speaking the truth,
that all kinds of problems erupted. No one would
listen to an employee. The public was given the lies,
carrier of choice...all the while raising fees,
pressuring res reps not to give seat assignments,
cutting service not improving it.

If the company was forced into these actions by
competitive pressures, I can understand the rationale,
but let us speak the truth. And let us speak the truth
to the public. No one likes to be "spinned or smoothed
over".... A labor friendly bankruptcy is another
spin on the awful truth. It is an insult to the
people who have worked their collectively many many
years, only to have been led by some questionable
executives whose motives were crystal clear from the
beginning...

No Rakesh for me....!!

I have been with this company for many years and have quietly read this board for the past year. I had to voice my anger for my union to even think about having RAKESH represent us. What was the AFA thinking? Was the AFA trying to make a deal with the devil? We almost went on strike because of Steve and Rakesh and now we want to have him join us in a partnership. NO thanks Teddy and AFA! It is time for a change in the AFA union.

I haven't agreed with everything that Dave has done, but he is our only hope. Rakesh only wanted to sell our airline and how many employees would still be here if the merger had gone through? Probably not many! At least Dave isn't out to sell us to the highest bidder.

Ashamed to be AFA!

While I am not a proponent of Mr. Gangwal being on the BOD, a few random thoughts....

1. This thread was started by management.

2. Educate the workforce against the unions (source: our chief Union Buster''s website: www.fordharrison.com)

3. Why is management (Fly On The Wall, Do It For Dave and CCY) encouraging the membership to revolt? A classic union busting technique (source: Confessions of a Union Buster)

4. AFA did not submit his name, the TWU did. A classic union busting technique, start rumors. (source: Confessions of a Union Buster)

***The PIT LEC president informed the employees when Mr. Siegel brought the Chief Union Buster, Jerry Glass, to the bargaining table. Could that be the reason management is working the board encouraging dissension?****

We are all entitled to our opinions. Peace.

Actually all of the above comments are based on RUMOR! All airline ceo s are about the same. They all have the same goal but different tactics.. They all use intimidation and threats to get what they want. Dave included. There is one HUGE difference here. All be it i did not and still dont like Wolf and family, the only difference guys is that Dave had "world events" and events outside the companies control, to use as a way to get what he wanted. None of the unions including mine didnt want to here or adhere to the knowledge that the airline industry was sliding fast and things had to change. Wolfs comp. cost structure words were the same exact terms Dave used . There was one difference, now he had the employees in a corner.. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Daves im on your side talks was a different approach but even still there were people and still are people who still dont agree. Rumors destroy people and companies. Im not saying mr G was the best and brightest, but please he didnt get where he was and is by being a idiot.

Excerpts from the CLT Observer article:

Gangwal''s "name was brought forward," Perry Hayes, president of the US Airways chapter of the Association of Flight Attendants, confirmed Monday in an interview. "Although he was honored that he was approached about this, he has declined." . . . .

Gangwal declined to comment Monday. Union leaders said they believed Gangwal would be a strong representative because of his high level of knowledge about corporate affairs and the airline industry.

"He knows US Airways," said Teddy Xidas, president of the Pittsburgh AFA local. "He ran the company in the worst times and the best times."

Additionally, while union leaders are knowledgeable about negotiating contracts and grievances, being on a board of directors for the first time calls for "a different thought process" involving corporate strategies and priorities, she said. Gangwal has advised the union in recent months at no charge on its role as a board member, she said.

Gangwal''s name was initially suggested by the Transport Workers Union, which shares a board seat with the flight attendants. Flight attendants control the seat because they have four voting shares and about 6,600 members, while the TWU has three shares and about 350 members, including dispatchers, pilot training instructors and simulator engineers.

Bill Gray, president of two TWU locals, said he worked closely with Gangwal. "He was tough but fair," Gray said. "He has our respect. He has a degree of respect that speaks to why we would be interested in selecting him as a candidate."

Unions hold four of the 15 board seats. Hayes now occupies the AFA/TWU seat; the Air Line Pilots Association, the International Association of Machinists and the Communication Workers of America also hold seats and fill them with union leaders.

When he left US Airways, Gangwal received a $15 million retirement package, negotiated when he joined the company in 1996. Wolf received a similar package in 2002.

Many flight attendants would likely have opposed the selection of Gangwal as the union''s board representative if they had known about it, said John McCorkle, a Wilmington-based flight attendant who publishes a US Airways newsletter on the Internet.

Additionally, McCorkle said, "Wolf and Gangwal kept telling everybody the merger with United would happen, and a lot of people bought into that and put money into US Airways stock." The shares, which United was prepared to buy for $60 each, are now worthless.

Im not at all why any of this matters! Obviously the people "in the know" know the facts, we get rumors... Wow what ever happened to "not judging " at least with out the facts! Bob i somewhat agree with your post conserning management and union busting... Whats so funny is its like a war . There are numerous battles. I assure you across the boards of america, there will be a huge price to pay for these. Workers across this country will win in the end. Oh yeah its about the almight dollar now but in the end, if you do not have faith respect and trust from your employees, there is no winning only whining. Productivity, morale as well as customer service will all falter in the end. In the end we will once again be the top paid workers of america. What comes around goes around and i assure you, i have been in the aviation industry all my life, its all one big circle. If in fact these guys are management planted on here..... Be ware my friends your days are marked. Its only a matter of timebefore one way or another you temporary sucess will turn into massive revolts. Enjoy your short lived rewards, remember my friends You get what you pay for.

MLT said:

4. AFA did not submit his name, the TWU did. A classic union busting technique, start rumors. (source: Confessions of a Union Buster)

DCAfyer replies:

Tell the whole story. Yes, TWU did submit his name. But AFA controls the board seat.

Giving Gangwal a seat on the board would be like the US and UK giving the French a major role in the rebuilding of Irag. The nerve. What''s next? Wolf? The silence from this issue is deafening. What''s that vibration I feel from PIT? Wiggling out of this one?