United Airlines' Maintenance Division Wins Top Ind

gatemech

Senior
Aug 24, 2002
www.usaviation.com
United Airlines' Maintenance Division Wins Top Industry Award

Tuesday March 29, 8:02 AM EST

CHICAGO, March 29, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- United Services -- United's maintenance and engineering division -- has been recognized as an industry- leader by winning the 2004 Charles B. Ryan Award for Business Innovation. The award will be presented on April 19 at Aviation Week's Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Conference in Dallas, Texas.

"United Services has very successfully taken a market-driven approach to MRO, shedding cost while growing its customer base, making it a deserving recipient of our annual Charles B. Ryan MRO Award," said Kenneth E. Gazzola, executive vice president/publisher-Aviation Week Group. "Challenging times led to innovation and inspired United Services with the courage to examine its MRO business and make significant strategic changes -- even exiting work segments where it could not be competitive and restructuring its collective bargaining agreements -- in order to focus its business and increase revenue."

This year, United Services is the sole winner of the annual MRO award that is typically given to two companies in separate industry categories. This award recognizes the work done by employees to make United Services more than just another MRO provider, but an industry leader providing MRO services on engines, landing gear, and high-tech components including avionics, as well as line maintenance.

"This award is a great honor for us, especially after all the hard work our employees have done to revamp the way we do business and become a more market-oriented enterprise committed to the customer," said Gregory Hall, senior vice president-United Services. "We've strategically focused on cost- effective, competitive endeavors, and exited markets that were not delivering the results we needed to be a robust business. Earning the Charles B. Ryan Award is a nod from the industry that indicates we're on the right track."

Last year, United Services implemented the Lean Manufacturing system to improve processes and eliminate inefficiencies and waste -- an action which has helped drive down United's cost per available seat mile (CASM) and attracted new customers. With nearly 100 current customers around the world, United Services expects that its operational changes will help grow its revenue by more than 15% annually in the coming years.

The annual award is co-sponsored by the Aviation Week Group and Overhaul & Maintenance magazine, and has been awarded each spring since 2002 in two categories: the first for an outstanding airline or military operator and the second for a leading MRO supplier. It is meant to honor the memory of Charlie Ryan -- aerospace leader, former president of aircraft component manufacturing and repair company The NORDAM Group and beloved industry colleague -- by recognizing industry-leading companies and organizations for finding new ways to improve operations, service, profits, products, efficiency and effectiveness, while sustaining or improving safety and technical proficiency.

About United Services

United Services, a division of United, brings 79 years of experience, employee talent and the highest level of operational integrity to more than 100 airline customers worldwide. As an airline-based MRO provider, United Services provides its customers industry-leading services on engines, landing gear and high-tech components including avionics, as well as line maintenance. For more news and information about United Services, visit its Web site at http://unitedsvcs.com .

Slave wages and work got the award for United Services. The AMT's got the award for United services.

gatemech said:
United Airlines' Maintenance Division Wins Top Industry Award

Slave wages and work got the award for United Services. The AMT's got the award for United services.
[post="259953"][/post]​

:up:

B) UT

You know I keep reading this same canned stuff about United Services, the 'MRO provider' shpeel, the 'Lean Processes' nonsense. The typical buzzwords like 'strategic', 'focused', 'competetive', 'value-stream' and the repeated mention of the 'HUNDREDS' of customers.

I work there - I don't see any of this. What I see is everything getting outsourced in a frenzied rush to shut the place down.

kcabpilot said:
You know I keep reading this same canned stuff about United Services, the 'MRO provider' shpeel, the 'Lean Processes' nonsense. The typical buzzwords like 'strategic', 'focused', 'competetive', 'value-stream' and the repeated mention of the 'HUNDREDS' of customers.

I work there - I don't see any of this. What I see is everything getting outsourced in a frenzied rush to shut the place down.
[post="260180"][/post]​

You are just being too negative!!

Think 'good Karma' and the world is yours! :p

Take Care,
B) UT

kcabpilot said:
The world IS mine UT, I just passed the IA exam - I'm working on Cessnas again!!!
[post="260227"][/post]​

kcabpilot: I have an A/P, work at United Services. Can i get my IA without having a fixed base of operations? I think this is one of the requirements, or do you 'just' neeed a sign off? How did you get yours? Thanks. I have tools and work on my own Skylane and occasionally other little stuff...

kcabpilot said:
The world IS mine UT, I just passed the IA exam - I'm working on Cessnas again!!!
[post="260227"][/post]​

Congratulations on getting your IA!!! :up:
(Not an easy task by any means)

Going back into private aviation might not be a bad idea.

As for me, when this gig us up, I'm out of aviation.
(at least the working part :p )

Take Care,
B) UAL_TECH

FL030 said:
kcabpilot: I have an A/P, work at United Services. Can i get my IA without having a fixed base of operations? I think this is one of the requirements, or do you 'just' neeed a sign off? How did you get yours? Thanks. I have tools and work on my own Skylane and occasionally other little stuff...
[post="260242"][/post]​

FL030

'Fixed base of operations' only means a place where they can get in touch with you during the 'normal' work week. It doesn't need to be where you exercise your IA privledges. Since I'm now back on mids my home address is normally where you'll find me during the 'normal' work week - although I'll probably be asleep :ph34r: Also, the regulatory information (AD, TCDS and FAR's) are all online now so you don't need to have a subscription to biweekly microfiche updates to satisfy that requirement, just an internet connection. You need the tools (engine compression and timing, cable tensiometer and such) but you've probably already got most of those.

Several guys have jumped ship this past week. Lockheed is hiring for a big C5 mod up at Travis. I think the pay is around $27 but they are desperate for people and if you live out that way (Fairfield or Vacaville) it might be the ticket. Every United guy that went to the job fair last week got offered a job. One that I know is getting sent to a 7 week school immediately.

UALTECH

I've always kept one foot in GA but like you, when this gig is up I'll never wrench on an airliner again. I think they're gonna be hurting in the future. When I took the IA exam I got a peek at the next generation of A&P's - it wasn't pretty :blink:

Several guys have jumped ship this past week. Lockheed is hiring for a big C5 mod up at Travis. I think the pay is around $27 but they are desperate for people and if you live out that way (Fairfield or Vacaville) it might be the ticket. Every United guy that went to the job fair last week got offered a job. One that I know is getting sent to a 7 week school immediately.

If it's the big mods they are trying to get done, it will be PLENTY of work for quite a while. The C-5 was one of the first, if not the first, big jet with a 4000 psi hydr system. On the A models it is supposedly BIG problems. The C-5 was also one of the first jets with high bypass fans. They only put out around 44 K lbs of thrust. there was a plan to update the engines with CF6's, upping the thrust to 60 K (or at least giving you 45 K until MUCH higher altitudes). Last I heard, it would also require new nacalles.

Can you imagine the corrosion on a 35 Year old jumbo based on the coast? Congrats to the guys jumping ship. Don't look back! :up:

United's staff hangs tough in turbulence

"Morale at United is the lowest it has ever been," said Joel Libbea, a 16-year pilot based in Los Angeles, who took a 52 percent pay cut. "Many employees are leaving. They are finding more stable jobs and they are not coming back."

Three top United executives have received $500,000 bonuses for 2004, even though the carrier is still losing money. No matter what the explanation, it's a slap in the face to those taking pay cuts.

"I didn't see our distinguished management team check in one customer, toss one bag or taxi one aircraft," one United employee told me.

Yet, whatever pain they must feel, many United employees still come to work with smiles on their faces.

A smile or a grimace? :p

Sometimes it is hard to tell…… :D

B) UT

I still carry a smile to work. Most of us who are left and haven't moved on are like me. We're at an age that we don't feel compelled to jump ship for another career - to repeat the cycle. I've learned my lesson, I'm not giving anything to another corporation that sees zero value in it's employees, that views them as nothing more than a liability and a cost. If United eventually fails it won't be because of me. I have no regrets, I did everything within my power and with the resources they provided me to make it work.

When a company doesn't value the people that work for it - above all else, above even the customer, it's doomed to fail.

It's not that United's great days are past. I've been here 16 years and there were never any great days. This death will be the result of a long and protracted illness.....

But I met a lot of great people and I'll never forget any of them. (the great ones that is)

Regarding the previous posts about getting IA endorsement...be fully advised that you are walking a tight rope with no safety net below when signing IA on your own.

There is no liability insurance you can buy to cover yourself if you are operating on your own.

Only liability safety net is:
1. Do IA work as an employee of an incorporated firm.
2. Become a Part 145 Repair Station, which will require a facility capable of handling the work you wish to perform.

IA legal liability is very real.

This is true but you can incorporate yourself as an S-corp or LLC. The latter is much easier but some states will not allow you to LLC if you are a 'licensed professional' (something that UAL would probably dispute) <_<

You don't have to incorporate in the state where you do business but in that case you have to maintain a resident representative. That can be another corporation and there are firms that provide that service for a fee. UAL, as well as many other corporations, are registered in Delaware because of taxation and other benefits. Just like all those 'Liberian' oil tankers. You'd a thought that Liberia was some happenin' place - but it aint....

In the end you 'take your chances' - there's no way around that. You do it every day when you get out of bed or cross the street, there's risk in life.

There's also the requirement of negligence. In that respect you have some control over covering your ass. Plus there is the ethics issue. I mean, you could be a six month wonder UAL foreman who now signs off entire paper packages for work done by a whole crew of unlicensed illegal aliens at an OSV. :unsure:

Another word of caution about your IA. If you have one and work as an AMT for UL. You can get called into the Fed office if an airplane you work on has any issues. I know a guy working here at DL on one of the HMV lines who gave his up because of this. He was getting called in about stuff he never even came close to, but he was the highest authority on the HMV check in the eyes of the FAA. Good luck.

Well that seems very odd as UAL and all other airlines are Part 121 under a continuous maintenance program which is something that an IA has nothing to do with. There are no annual inspections and all major repairs or alterations are the responsibility of the part 121 certificate holder's designated representative. The inspection requirements under 121 rules are a totally different animal.

Latest posts