United Airlines Plans To Rehire Mechanics

Decision 2004

Veteran
Mar 12, 2004
United Airlines plans to rehire mechanics

With new business in maintenance, air carrier will bring back 100 who were laid off in 2001

By Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- United Airlines is planning to rehire 100 furloughed mechanics during the next couple of months.

In 2001, the air carrier laid off thousands of employees -- including 9,000 in Northern California.

The bankrupt carrier has been fueled by new business at United's sprawling San Francisco Maintenance Center, located near San Francisco International Airport.

The rise in maintenance business has enabled United to bring back the mechanics, who will be drawn from the seniority list of union workers in Northern California and around the country, said Joseph Prisco, president of Local 9 of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association.

Gregory Hall, United's senior vice president of maintenance and engineering, believes the maintenance facility can become a profit center for the airline's parent company, UAL Corp.

The 144-acre facility at the edge of the bay boasts 2.9 million square feet of operational space. It is the largest of United's five domestic repair stations and 18 foreign stations.

The center has serviced United planes since it opened in 1948. But now, as the company pushes to increase revenue, the base is doing repair work for other airlines, air cargo companies and the U.S. military.

"We expect to service 407 engines here this year," Hall said. That's up from 370 engines in 2003, he said, and the work is expected to generate $106.5 million in revenue for the cash-strapped carrier.

What do you TWU nay sayers have to say about that news?

I am sure you can find some tiwst to place on this positive news.

Decision 2004 said:

A good day for the 100, looks like Greg Hall might be better than his rep?

j7915 said:
Decision 2004 said:

AND JUST HOW MANY MECHANIC'S HAS A.A. RETURNED FROM LAYOFF? YEA THATS HAT I THOUGHT "0" :eek:

local 12 proud said:
AND JUST HOW MANY MECHANIC'S HAS A.A. RETURNED FROM LAYOFF? YEA THATS HAT I THOUGHT "0" :eek:
AA didn't lay off any members did they? All I have heard is that the TWU saved 12,000 jobs not lost some to RIF.

16,000 in the craft and class, 2,000 on the street, 12,000 saved, that leaves 2,000 to maintain over 700 airplanes and the buildings. Yeah right

AMFA watch? Aren't they still under the IAM contract? Hmmm...you guys are a joke, AMFA is a joke. Are you liars or do you just you selective wording, seems to me I remember you blamed UAL on the IAM, and now it's AMFA's prowness in the courts to the rescue...?

WOW 100 out of 6000. Let me see, that is 1.6% a year. Well what do you know UAL will have everyone recalled in oh say 60 years, that’s great.

local 12 proud said:
j7915 said:
Decision 2004 said:

Delle is quoted "BK would be good for AA," I have been told by at least one AMFA supporter, and read more postings here, that AA should have laid off thousands. Ken McT for one who advocate shrinking AA to profitability, i.e. lay offs.

Now AMFA supporters are suddenly asking how many amts has AA recalled? Why don't you all get on the same page of your hymnal? From what I can see around Tulsa, there just may be reason for some layoffs. Management does not see that, and we should all be happy about that.

If you all think that any savings from fleet service are going to flow into the amt's pockets, then more power to you, I don't see it happen. Neither will any savings from getting rid of the OSM shops and maybe contracting out. If you want a craft group restricted to one skill only, like the guilds of old; you will still have to differentiate between apprentice, journeymen and skilled craftsmen, hence you end up with A, B and C scale all over again. From my position in QA that could be an advantage. How many people want to advocate a B scale and a C scale?

j7915 when airlines park airplanes, they lay people off its called economics, really not hard to understand is it/ the union can't prevent this unless of course your the twu, you just lower everyones wages, benefits, etc. to save jobs. its called dues preservation heck why not just pay everyone $10.00 an hour and recall everyone plus hire a thousand more. if i must hit the street then so be it, i can retrain if necessary but leave the standard of living in place so i may have something good to come back to!

local 12 proud said:
j7915 when airlines park airplanes, they lay people off its called economics, really not hard to understand is it/ the union can't prevent this unless of course your the twu, you just lower everyones wages, benefits, etc. to save jobs. its called dues preservation heck why not just pay everyone $10.00 an hour and recall everyone plus hire a thousand more. if i must hit the street then so be it, i can retrain if necessary but leave the standard of living in place so i may have something good to come back to!
Why is it you AMFAites are all ready to go out the door? You always see yourselves retraining..is it due to AMFA's ability to allow the outsourcing the companies desire? And yet you call the TWU a "company union", how redundant.

Name one company that wouldn't want AMFA inhouse, the AFL-CIO doesn't count.

Johnny Lunchbox said:
Why is it you AMFAites are all ready to go out the door? You always see yourselves retraining..is it due to AMFA's ability to allow the outsourcing the companies desire? And yet you call the TWU a "company union", how redundant.

Name one company that wouldn't want AMFA inhouse, the AFL-CIO doesn't count.
cio you continue to twist quotes, you are truly a typical twu liar. i never implied "im ready to go out the door" i said " if i MUST hit the street then so be it" and yes unlike the unskilled who have no desire or motivation to better themselves but prefer to ride the coatails of the skilled i can and will retrain if necessary!........AMFA negotiates what the members want, no union can prevent layoffs if the company parks airplanes then there will be layoffs period! its called economics, the twu gave $660 million in concession's and claims "but we saved jobs" OH REALLY tell that to those who had thier senority protection rolled back and were "riffed"......perhaps we could just all work for $10.00 an hour, recall all those on layoff back and hire a thousand more, is this what you propose its all about jobs? bullcrap its all about dues preservation and you know it........dust off your tools cio, if indeed your even a mechanic because the twu has negotiated the last contract in thier history for the MECHANIC & RELATED at a.a. :D