United Airlines will lay off about 100 workers at Port Columbus

xUT

Veteran
Dec 28, 2009
SanFranFreako, KommieFornia
Found this buried in another thread and thought it might be better posted here:

United Airlines will lay off about 100 workers at Port Columbus

Excerpt:
United Airlines will lay off about 100 workers at Port Columbus on Oct. 1 and transfer their union jobs to an outside vendor that will pay its employees lower wages.

Excerpt:
Other airports where United will outsource these union jobs include those in Buffalo, N.Y.; Detroit; and Charlotte, N.C., affecting 600 to 700 workers, said Ira Levy of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

B) xUT

Kev3188 said:
Not awesome. :(
JMHO,
Sucks!

The wages of union workers range from $12 an hour to $25 an hour, Levy said, adding that reports that the outside vendor will pay workers $8.75 an hour “are in line with what I’ve heard.”
How can they find people to work in that environment for $8.75, pass the drug/alcohol test and get a SIDA badge is beyond me.
I doubt that "Airport Terminal Services" offers much of anything else in benefits.
JMHO B) xUT

Reactions: 1 person
And, now maybe some of the union people on here who degrade the Democratic Party, and preach about how wonderful the Republican Party (or God forbid, Tea party) is will understand why working people need Medicaid and Food Stamps.  $8.75/hr in this day and age would be hard for a single person to support themselves.  No way could a family wage earner make it on that alone.  Your buddies in the Republican Party aim to eliminate your union, the minimum wage, and a whole host of other benefits that we take for granted in this country.

Reactions: 2 people
jimntx said:
And, now maybe some of the union people on here who degrade the Democratic Party, and preach about how wonderful the Republican Party (or God forbid, Tea party) is will understand why working people need Medicaid and Food Stamps.  $8.75/hr in this day and age would be hard for a single person to support themselves.  No way could a family wage earner make it on that alone.  Your buddies in the Republican Party aim to eliminate your union, the minimum wage, and a whole host of other benefits that we take for granted in this country.

Your who?
:p

It is beyond comprehension to think that a company would up front say they are replacing regular long term employees with people that will do the same work for a 1/4 of what the original employees were paid AND no benefits.  So sad to see the all mighty dollar rules once again and not the employees.  BTW  you all can thank the the IAM for this as they allowed it to happen...

xUT said:

Your who?
:p
If you are questioning whether buddies is the appropriate word, go read the Water Cooler where all of the "Republican union members"  (though that is a classic oxymoron) post about how wonderful the Repubs are.

If you are questioning the word, your...Did you think that "you're" would be correct?  Go back and relearn your English grammar.  Your is the possessive pronoun.  You're is a contraction of the subject and verb, "You are."  Your is the correct word. 

And it was in the CBA and the members voted on it and ratified it.

Yes it sucks, but they made the choice.

And its not new news, it was announced months ago, but some stations were pulled back and not going to be outsourced.

swamt said:
It is beyond comprehension to think that a company would up front say they are replacing regular long term employees with people that will do the same work for a 1/4 of what the original employees were paid AND no benefits.  So sad to see the all mighty dollar rules once again and not the employees.  BTW  you all can thank the the IAM for this as they allowed it to happen...

Indeed. 

Not only that, think of all the institutional knowledge/skill sets that will be walking out the door. That's not always quantifiable, but it is valuable...

uh, first, you have no idea what types of people are taking these kinds of jobs or that there are people who are supporting a family.

the number of boomerang kids is at an all-time high in the US, the amount of unpaid college student debt is at record levels, even while the creation of full-time, benefitted positions is at all time lows.

If there were full-time, benefitted positions being created, then lower paid jobs could not be filled.

Obama is sending the US down the same path in terms of no-growth economics and a vast sector of the workforce that is working below their potential - and Democrats love it because those people then become dependent on the government. That political/economic phenomena is GROWING around the world.

Take your wrath out on government policies which have limited the growth of decent paying jobs.

And its not new news, it was announced months ago, but some stations were pulled back and not going to be outsourced.
so it's ok for the top X% of the workforce to throw the bottom Y% under the bus and then stick a union seal of approval on it even while chiding the loss of full-time, benefitted jobs in the workforce?

and you wonder why the percentage of Americans represented by labor unions is on a continuous, downward path.

most people when they read stuff like this don't wonder.

but, yes, it was a given that UA would be forced to reduce its workforce along with its flight schedule in order to turn its profitability around.

my sincere best wishes to the employees involved who are caught in a situation that is far bigger than their individual jobs.

WorldTraveler said:
so it's ok for the top X% of the workforce to throw the bottom Y% under the bus...
Why not? You think it is. How many times have we heard about how great it is that DL protects the FT workers it has, even though that means creating a permanent underclass of coworkers?

In this case, perhaps you meant that the majority working in a hub throwing the field stations under the bus?

Here's a better question to ask; with the combined (UA/CO) flight activity obviously being larger than each's PM operation, why not just adjust staffing to the new level needed? The scorched Earth policy Smisek is employing is not the right way to go.

Hell, in some places, they're even undercutting the vendors in place now...

Somewhere along the way, these guys all forgot that investing in your employees almost always generates a huge ROI...

Reactions: 5 people
700UW said:

Oh, so now that the almighty IAM (in your mind only) agreed with the company to have it inserted into a contract nego by the IAM and even have the gall to put it out for a vote, it's all ok and now it's all the memberships fault.  Ypu are such a 2 faced, flip floppin, 100% IAM supporter.  Lets see why were the members forced to vote yes in this outsourcing?  What else was in this contract that held the gun to their heads?  I bet you will not be able to recall that information will you now???

Reactions: 4 people
Kev3188 said:

Indeed. 

Not only that, think of all the institutional knowledge/skill sets that will be walking out the door. That's not always quantifiable, but it is valuable...
At Texaco, we used to call it "losing corporate memory."  There is the way that the policy states something should be done (usually written by someone who has never done it), and the way that something is done in the real world (corporate memory).  A lot of damage in corporations has occurred because the corporate memory was walked out the door and replaced by contractors who didn't have a clue. 

You do realize they members at UA/CO voted down the first TA, meanwhile the PMCO employees had a CBA with no protections at all.

TA2 passed by the membership, thats the facts, they could have voted it down like they did to TA1.

No one was forced to vote yes, now were they?

And you have some gall, you and your union stapled the TWA FAs to the bottom which led to most of them being laid-off, even your current APFA President said that was wrong.

And what about your former APFA president who tried to anoint himself President and was removed by the DOL?

I guess you like being in STL based, while FAs who had more time than you were laid-off.

Ever hear of a glass house?

jimntx said:
If you are questioning whether buddies is the appropriate word, go read the Water Cooler where all of the "Republican union members"  (though that is a classic oxymoron) post about how wonderful the Repubs are.

If you are questioning the word, your...Did you think that "you're" would be correct?  Go back and relearn your English grammar.  Your is the possessive pronoun.  You're is a contraction of the subject and verb, "You are."  Your is the correct word. 
Gettin testy in your old age eh... :p
Here I am agreeing that this sucks and get beat up on by an Engrish Magor... :p

--- As a side bar --------------------------------------------------

I don't vote a straight ticket anymore as the DemoRats have screwed me as much, if not more than, the RepubliRats.
I am an independent voter and there sure as he11 has not been much of a differentiation between candidates in 'any' party.

Tell me what has the A$$ party done for the working man lately?
As long as we still allow lobbyists to sway the opinions of our political bureaucRats, it just won't work.

Perot sure had it right (that's who I voted for) on NAFTA and who signed it into law?
Yep, BJ Bill... DOH!

So what? I voted for Kerry because I knew Bush was an ID-10T. I didn't like him being swift boated any more than the DemoRats (Obama) attacks on McCain.
I voted for McCain mainly because my disgust at how he was treated by the A$$ party.

First time I voted RepubliRat in years.

Beat up Bush all you want but remember that 99% of the A$$ party was for it until they were against it.
DOH!

Maybe if people would take the time to make an independent decision instead of voting a straight party ticket, this crap would change...

--- Side bar Finished --------------------------------------------------

Paying minimum wage for ramp and/or stores is myopic.
Having some lug-nut running around an airport ramp is just speaking of disaster.
I have the 'up-most' respect for people working in a super dangerous environment.

JMHO