United applies for Washington-Beijing

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
I would have thought that UA would apply for more SFO or ORD service before IAD:

United Applies for Nonstop Service Between Washington, D.C., and Beijing

Tuesday August 15, 1:00 pm ET

First-Ever, Capital-to-Capital Route Links Political Centers of the United States and China, Strengthens United's Service in the Asia-Pacific Region

CHICAGO, Aug. 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines today announced it has applied for daily nonstop service between Washington, D.C., and Beijing.* The proposed capital-to-capital service will support better economic and political relations between China and the United States, and will provide United's passenger and cargo customers with nonstop access between two of the world's most prominent capital cities. If approved, the service will begin in March 2007.

"United has long been committed to China," says Glenn F. Tilton, chairman and CEO of United Airlines. "More than 20 years ago, United took steps to enter the China market at a time when no other U.S. carrier would attempt it. Since then, United has steadily built the aviation market between the United States and China. Today, we operate four daily nonstop flights between the two countries benefiting businesses and communities on both sides of the Pacific."

In support of this new route application, Speaker J. Dennis Hastert of the U.S. House of Representatives said in a letter to the Department of Transportation, "Washington, D.C., is the largest metropolitan area in the United States without nonstop air service to China. Capital-to-capital service will support the continuous dialogue that is critically needed between these two governments as China continues to grow in the global economy. More opportunity for interaction between U.S. and Chinese policymakers is needed as we work through the economic and political challenges that face our countries."

Approximately 25 percent of United's capacity currently serves the Asia-Pacific, and United continues to strengthen its commitment to this fast-growing region. In addition to providing customers with service to China, United is also helping develop the Chinese aviation industry. The company was the first U.S. carrier to establish an aviation management exchange/training program at the Civil Aviation University of China in Tianjin. United is also a major sponsor of the Wright Brothers Partnership, which provides training and technical expertise to the Chinese aviation industry.

"United has our enthusiastic support for this service," says James E. Bennett, president and chief executive officer of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority. "The Washington, D.C., area is the largest China travel market in the United States without any nonstop service to China, and this service is long overdue. The Washington, D.C., region has had the largest job growth in the United States over the past five years. There has been rapid growth in the D.C.-Virginia-Maryland regional economy, and China's economy is extremely dynamic. It is time for capital-to-capital service."

Through its hub in Washington Dulles, United will offer convenient, single connection service between Beijing and cities throughout the eastern half of the United States. Pending government approval, United plans to operate combined passenger and cargo service between Washington, D.C., and Beijing using its Boeing-747 aircraft configured with 14 United First Suite® seats, 73 United Business® seats and 260 United Economy® seats, including 88 Economy Plus® seats.

The Asia-Pacific region is also important to United's cargo division; its business there accounts for approximately 40 percent of the division's total revenue.

* Pending Government Approval

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060815/cgtu028a.html?.v=1

I would have thought that UA would apply for more SFO or ORD service before IAD:
I suspect that UA is playing a political angle here. As the largest carrier to China, UA is less likely to get new frequencies so they have to bring something different to the table. Connecting a new city, particularly our capital, adds something more interesting to the DOT deciders than just more ORD/SFO.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060815/cgtu028a.html?.v=1
Why? IAD is an int'l hub for UAL and Asia is one of UALs largest int'l destinations. UAL already has service to PEK from SFO and ORD it's other two large int'l hubs and competes with China Airlines on both those routes.
Now UAL customers on the east coast as well as the midwest and west coast will have the option of non-stop service to one of Chinas largest cities.

Makes sense to me.

Rather interesting to see that United is now looking at some rather longer-range flying from Washington.
Has there been any handicapping of the chances that United will actually be the beneficiary of this route or is the competition too keen? How long of flight would it be? Other than the governments, what type of traffic would it generate? Is United serious about this or merely throwing its hat into the ring to augment its existing services from other cities? Frankly it seems a wise move instead of continuing to battle it out over the Atlantic.
Also I have yet to determine exactly how this foray will butress Delta's emergence as the lynchpin of the world's aviation market, but I am sure that somehow the authorities are crafting any response with this inevitablity in mind.
Cheers

A dearth of intelligence - meeting the needs of the below average one thought at a time

I admit, I'm biased towards AA, but with that said, Between...NW/UA/CO and AA, AA is the only carrier with just "one" flt. to china.

I'd guess, with AA making a big deal out of DFW, that the Bush/texas connection, will come into play(behind the scenes)

If I had to guess, this is EXACTLY why, AA did'nt partition for ORD/PEK, but instead "DFW"/PEK !!

(New slogan/Initials).... "TWT"...TIME WILL TELL !!!!!!

NH/BB's

I admit, I'm biased towards AA, but with that said, Between...NW/UA/CO and AA, AA is the only carrier with just "one" flt. to china.

I'd guess, with AA making a big deal out of DFW, that the Bush/texas connection, will come into play(behind the scenes)

If I had to guess, this is EXACTLY why, AA did'nt partition for ORD/PEK, but instead "DFW"/PEK !!
(New slogan/Initials).... "TWT"...TIME WILL TELL !!!!!!

NH/BB's

Unfortunately King George has a little more on his mind right now than this deal. Politically it would make a lot more sense for him to support a capital to capital flight. He needs nothing more from Texas or Texas voters in any way, 2 years from now we will be happily voting him down the road to retirement. Your theory has a lot of holes in it, Texas sized ones in fact.

JBG

Imagine, 24 countries fly from their nations capitol to china's capitol.......but the USA is NOT one of them. I think United has a darn good chance of getting this slot.

(and I have a darn good chance of working it in 30 years) :lol: ( I wonder if they will sell me cheap...good quality...electric scooter.Last time I was there the man said...you should try.....best one a day, best price......look good....has basket....pick a color, go sit down" " we talk to you in 15 minute." What a guy. He acted like he didn't speak English until I started talking $$$. He's a quick learner.

I am a little surprised at the lassitude in the responses. One would think in the drive to "offshore" (not just outsource but completely offshore)to China, that there would be quite a clambor over such a flight. When important matters such as moving entire portions of business from one country to another come to call, one would think that those so involved would need a streamlined means of transport to conduct such negotiations.
Fly makes a germane point. I have not checked all the flight schedules, but I would well imagine that the majority of EU countries are providing such service.
Of course this could be a very good example of the ultimate path of the offshoring - in that it would be China that would provide the transport for the men and women who are effecting the transfer of business to its home territories - indeed a very wry twist of irony that would be! We will take your investment dollars and your production and to boot we will send our boat to effect the transfer. Now, one of my American friends told me that the US has as many workers engaged in manufacturing as it did at the turn of the 19th to 20th century - a contention I am not certain of.
Either way, one would think there would be capital to capital connections of all types from Washington.

Is it Capitol or Capital? I can never keep them straight.

Anyway, in many countries, all (or nearly all) of the long-haul flights depart from the capital (capitol?) of that country, so of course many flights to/from PEK will be to/from various nations' capitals. No surprise there.

From how many cities other than Paris can one fly significant long-hauls to/from France? There's a smattering of point to point UK flights not involving London, but not a significant number. Dozens of other countries are similar.

It's an interesting tidbit (the capital to capital thing), but hardly a compelling reason for the feds to award 7 more frequencies to UA instead of to CO (which has the best proposal, IMO) given UA's huge headstart in China frequencies.

Maybe UA's IAD idea is the best - but make no mistake about it: the DOT will write an award opinion that clearly discounts that aspect when awarding CO their request for EWR-PVG. Something about NYC being the really important city compared to the swampy nation's captial.

Capitol  /ˈkæpɪtl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kap-i-tl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. the building in Washington, D.C., used by the Congress of the U.S. for its sessions.
2. (often lowercase) a building occupied by a state legislature.
3. the ancient temple of Jupiter at Rome, on the Capitoline.
4. the Capitoline.

Time will tell but United certainly has a compelling argument. May also be extremely helpful that the decision makers happen to live near the CAPITOL :D and just may need to catch a quick flight to China.

Here's a press release by a bunch of former government bigwigs (and UAL, I presume) that calls itself the "Capital to Capital Coalition:"

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060919/nytu073.html?.v=64

Fly, thanks for the dictionary entry - Capitol is the building itself and Capital is the city where the government is centered. When I lived there (DC) the highway people were in disagreement about the "Capitol Beltway" on the signs over I-495 - some used the al ending and some used the ol spelling.

Anyway, you may be right - government leaders may want the benefit of a suburban Virginia nonstop - but my money is still on CO's entry.

How often do important government officials really fly commercial to China instead of taking a government plane? Key word there is "important" bureaucrats - not some low-level GS-9 or GS-11. It's not like China is a NATO ally requiring lots of back and forth flying.

Here's a press release by a bunch of former government bigwigs (and UAL, I presume) that calls itself the "Capital to Capital Coalition:"

Fly, thanks for the dictionary entry - Capitol is the building itself and Capital is the city where the government is centered. When I lived there (DC) the highway people were in disagreement about the "Capitol Beltway" on the signs over I-495 - some used the al ending and some used the ol spelling.

Anyway, you may be right - government leaders may want the benefit of a suburban Virginia nonstop - but my money is still on CO's entry.

How often do important government officials really fly commercial to China instead of taking a government plane? Key word there is "important" bureaucrats - not some low-level GS-9 or GS-11. It's not like China is a NATO ally requiring lots of back and forth flying.

The airline business is not about giving frequencies to "even it out", it is about who can provide service that will be the most useful to the flying public. UAL's proposed routing will do that.

UAL will win this.

JBG

Capitol  /ˈkæpɪtl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kap-i-tl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. the building in Washington, D.C., used by the Congress of the U.S. for its sessions.
2. (often lowercase) a building occupied by a state legislature.
3. the ancient temple of Jupiter at Rome, on the Capitoline.
4. the Capitoline.

Your quote is correct, of course, but maybe misleading. OH... I see you all have already cleared that up. So, I'll complete the vocabulary exercise by using the words in sentences:

Washington, D.C. is the capital of the United States.

When in Washington D.C. I took my nephews to visit the Capitol. They really liked the rotunda.

I agree with FWAA's analysis of bureaucrats going to China: not many. The folks that go to China are businessmen. However, my money is still on AA's application, partly because it's medium and small sized businesses across the country, many in the south, that are expanding into China business. (observed anecdotally and partly made up)

FWAAA,

I would submit that although yes, France does have a flight from Paris to China and therefore a 'capital to capital' flight, I would also mention that France is approximately the size of your state of Texas. One need not go very far to see that one can also reach China from Amsterdam, London, Frankfurt, probably Munich, and many other European cities.
I say this only because not only does it reflect 'capital to captial' flying but also a high density of flying albeit across national borders. I was looking rather at the distance between major cities in Europe to determine this density - in other words there are quite a few flights to China from a not very geographically disperse area. If this same scale of geography were placed across the FCs, one would have a flight from nearly all your major cities.