United Bumps Retiree Travel Perk to Back of Line

xUT

Veteran
Dec 28, 2009
SanFranFreako, KommieFornia
United Bumps Retiree Travel Perk to Back of Line

Flight privileges are among the most cherished perks for airline employees and retirees, especially in the case of United, which slashed its pension program in bankruptcy.

More than 3,600 people have signed an online petition objecting to the change. Among the comments by hundreds of retirees: “This is unbelievable. I worked years giving back my pay and then years with no pay raise at all. My medical is ridiculous. ... My pension was destroyed. All we have left are our travel benefits and now we are supposed to accept this package. United has never gotten the concept of treating their employees well.”

Luv U Man! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Very misleading headline.

Retirees are not going to the "back of the line." They will just no longer have super-priority over current employees, and will essentially be treated the same (i.e., boarded by date of hire, which would still be ahead of current employees in most/many cases).

Reactions: 1 person
Sounds to me like UA is just moving to the same reality that exists for most other airline retirees which generally board AFTER active employees.

It is perhaps more significant according to the article that CO management lost their higher priority over rank and file employees. DL - which did not have a distinction between mgmt and frontline employees - eliminated the benefits that existed under NW's policies as well.

Retirees are not going to the "back of the line." They will just no longer have super-priority over current employees, and will essentially be treated the same (i.e., boarded by date of hire, which would still be ahead of current employees in most/many cases).

Nope:
Vacation passes: will be by accrued seniority (not DOH) both active and retirees.
No vacation pass: active employees first (by seniority), then retirees (by accrued seniority).

B) xUT

It really doesn't take a mental giant to understand who was thrown under the bus with this new policy!
It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that even UA's mgmt (all of the new team) could realize that putting one more wedge between labor and mgmt is not such a good idea when trying to integrate two very different airlines.
If DL was smart enough to realize that in their merger, then let the credit go to them.
I'm sure UA mgmt (the new team) would love to have the representation vote results that DL obtained.
Those vote results and the policies that DL put in place before the votes were very much connected.

It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that even UA's mgmt (all of the new team) could realize that putting one more wedge between labor and mgmt is not such a good idea when trying to integrate two very different airlines.
If DL was smart enough to realize that in their merger, then let the credit go to them.
I'm sure UA mgmt (the new team) would love to have the representation vote results that DL obtained.
Those vote results and the policies that DL put in place before the votes were very much connected.

Doesn't Delta have their own board?

I have to disagree. Unless using one of their 8 one way vacation passes, United retirees will board AFTER active employees. The "super priority afforded retirees with 25 years or more" has been done away with; however, with the new plan, all retirees will board after active employees, and unaccompanied spouses. On the subject of the alloted 8 one way vacation passes, CO employees will be able to bring their unused passes to the new program (up to 40), while as of day 1, UA employees will have a maximum of 8.

I have to disagree. Unless using one of their 8 one way vacation passes, United retirees will board AFTER active employees. The "super priority afforded retirees with 25 years or more" has been done away with; however, with the new plan, all retirees will board after active employees, and unaccompanied spouses. On the subject of the alloted 8 one way vacation passes, CO employees will be able to bring their unused passes to the new program (up to 40), while as of day 1, UA employees will have a maximum of 8.

Who were the people responsible for the NEW travel policy? It would appear as if the only representation for the retired faction of the new company were CO Retirees? Their benefits improved while UAL Retirees got dumped on again. What a great way to start the merger with fairness being a tenet of the new policy. Do they actually believe UAL Retirees are braindead? To be honest, I thought the new management team would have traveled the high road and done the right thing for everyone concerned.

WT spews his DL koolaide on US, and AA more than DL, its sickening and everybody is getting tired of it.

Who were the people responsible for the NEW travel policy? It would appear as if the only representation for the retired faction of the new company were CO Retirees? Their benefits improved while UAL Retirees got dumped on again. What a great way to start the merger with fairness being a tenet of the new policy. Do they actually believe UAL Retirees are braindead? To be honest, I thought the new management team would have traveled the high road and done the right thing for everyone concerned.

I suspect management knows full well what it is doing. The recent profit sharing payout, with all the parties, was made to appear to be a management gift. For one group that I know of, it was contractual. I am not sure which other "organized" groups had this in their contract.

The wage increase to CO front line employees also came at a most opportune time. What better way to attempt to tell workers they don't need collective bargaining and a contract.

The vacation passes TO ME, scream "we'll take care of you." ...... and I think most folks don't realize that what was done to the retirees was how they intend to "take care of you."

Honoring commitments made just isn't there.

WT spews his DL koolaide on US, and AA more than DL, its sickening and everybody is getting tired of it.
Well, I am not. WT has the right to post anywhere on this BB just like you and I (as we both often do :lol: ).
Although IMHO he is off the mark with the comments on this thread, he has some very good insights as well as FWAAA. Just keep it in perspective.
B) xUT