Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
United/Continental Resume Merger Talks

United, Continental resume merger talks

- chicagotribune.com
www.chicagotribune.com

has resumed merger discussions with Continental Airlines that were suspended two years ago when Continental's board opted to remain independent, a source close to the talks said Thursday.Houston-based ...

Reactions: 1 person
Let's pray it's Continental that we merge with and not U.S. Airways. Yikes!!! U.S. Airways and the problems that would bring is like 40 miles of bad road! The difference would be the making of a truely superb carrier vs. a merely average carrier in a death spiral!

Cheers,
Z B)

Let's pray it's Continental that we merge with and not U.S. Airways. Yikes!!! U.S. Airways and the problems that would bring is like 40 miles of bad road! The difference would be the making of a truely superb carrier vs. a merely average carrier in a death spiral!

Cheers,
Z B)

I agree 10000000%. I pray we merge with CAL. I have long wanted to live in Houston.

United airlines and the problems that would bring is like 40 miles of bad road!
We could say the same thing about UAL over here at US. Trust me ,The employees over at CO aren't fond of merging with UAL (Who is on a death spiral as well I may add). Get off your high horse. Both US and UA suck .

Reactions: 3 people

Cheers,
Z B)
I assume the "problems" to which you refer are pilot contract related, but I have to believe they'd be worked out prior to any announcement, ala DL/NW. Operationally, US is every bit as reliable as UA, so I don't see any real problems other the the pilot seniority list. If USAirways image is the problem (which I think it is for most UAers), the powerful, world renowned brand of UA will survive, so what's the big deal?

United airlines and the problems that would bring is like 40 miles of bad road!
We could say the same thing about UAL over here at US. Trust me ,The employees over at CO aren't fond of merging with UAL(Who is als on a death spiral If I may add). Get off your high horse. Both US and UA suck .

United has turned itself around, just look at our on time performance. We are also geared for the buisness traveler. If you read the reports it will tell you that UAL will gain the most out of any airline when buisness travelers return. Guess what, they are returning per market statements. United has a huge international pressence where we don't have to fight low cost carriers, which by the way is picking up in traffic too. Trust me, United is not going anywhere, with or without CAL.

I honestly think that UALALPA will play hardball with LCC but will be easy to deal with concerning CAL. In news reports they have stated that CAL and UAL ALPA divisions have never stoped talking.

Looks like ALPA has taken the UA/CAL side. Say what you want but this is huge.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/statement-by-captain-wendy-morse-chairman-united-master-executive-council-air-line-pilots-association-international-regarding-reports-of-reopening-of-merger-discussions-between-united-airlines-and-2010-04-15?reflink=MW_news_stmp

To all you blow hards out there who think Continental is better than United, the proof is in the numbers. United has LESS debt than Continental and MORE cash on hand. Obviously, after two trips through Chpt 11 in the past 20 years, Continental was never fixed. After being gutted, United STILL produces 25% more revenue.

Here's the charts:
http://ycharts.com/search?q=ual+vs+CAL

This merger is a win win for both companies if there ever was one. It will have the rest of the industry playing catch up forever.

To all you blow hards out there who think Continental is better than United, the proof is in the numbers. United has LESS debt than Continental and MORE cash on hand.
Some of the less debt has to do with the more recent trip through bankruptcy.

Obviously, after two trips through Chpt 11 in the past 20 years, Continental was never fixed.
Not obvious at all.

After being gutted, United STILL produces 25% more revenue.
Considering the difference in ASMs, you'd expect UA to produce even more.

Here's the charts:
http://ycharts.com/search?q=ual+vs+CAL
I noticed one that shows CO with a positive shareholder equity, and UA with negative.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, but your assertion doesn't hold up under even basic scrutiny. The numbers you provide do not support your statement.

Some of the less debt has to do with the more recent trip through bankruptcy.

Not obvious at all.

Considering the difference in ASMs, you'd expect UA to produce even more.

I noticed one that shows CO with a positive shareholder equity, and UA with negative.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, but your assertion doesn't hold up under even basic scrutiny. The numbers you provide do not support your statement.

You better pull up the rest of the charts. Continental and United are both unprofitable operations and there's no assertion or scrutiny involved. Neither is making money. Neither is doing better than the other. As I said, the Continental folk are shooting their mouths off about how great they are when it's just another middle of the road, unprofitable airline. Nothing better than listening to a bunch of "blow hards" talk about how great mediocrity is.

Reactions: 2 people
Who really cares. All of this is above anyones control. Just sit back and watch the movie.
It's going to be a great DRAMA flick. You never know. Maybe ACTION too.

Don't you love the airline industry ! ! ! ! !

You better pull up the rest of the charts.
Sure, let's do that.

Continental and United are both unprofitable operations
Looking at the charts you posted, CO has a profit margin of 2.67%. That's profitable. Not wildly so, but profitable. UA has a profit margin of -5.72%. That's not profitable. Looking over five years, CO is roughly break-even (including during a substantial recession), while UA is substantially unprofitable over that time. UA did a better job starting in 2006, but had only one quarter outperforming CO over the past five years. For 8 of the 20 quarters, CO blew the doors off of UA.

As I said, the Continental folk are shooting their mouths off about how great they are when it's just another middle of the road, unprofitable airline.
Of the legacy carriers, CO has done the best financially for about 15 years. Now, you can certainly consider the entire legacy contingent as mediocre, and that's an easily defensible position. But within that category, CO has performed the best, financially speaking.

Try this again. Bloomberg.com has an United article if the link does not work. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a17xBclpe32k&pos=2

Status
Not open for further replies.