United Continental Shifts Jobs to Trim Costs

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
United Airlines, the wholly owned subsidiary of United Continental Holdings Inc. (UAL), is outsourcing more than 630 jobs across 12 airports in the U.S., to curtail costs and improve profitability.

The worst affected employees in this scenario will be the gate agents, the baggage handlers and the customer service associates working at airports in Salt Lake City, Detroit, Iowa, Texas, El Paso, Kansas, Pensacola, Ohio, New Mexico, New York and North and South Carolina.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united-continental-shifts-jobs-trim-181006116.html

Today UA announced that after the "market review" we will continue to ground handle our flights at KOA, LIH, and OGG.
ABQ, BUF, CHS, CLT, CMH, DSM, DTW, ELP, FSD, ICT, PNS and SLC (ramp) will be out sourced.
We will also take back all above the wing functions at HNL as will as express handling at PHX and IAD.
Total job loss for the outsourcing is over 600 with over 400 gained due to the insoucing. Net job loss approx 200 jobs.

Good and bad news. Today. Transition expected to be completed by October.

So, UA is following the same strategy that DL has of showing preference to have its own people in public contact positions and essentially moving people from the ramp to above wing functions?

sounds so, ummm, 7.5

and the IAM couldn't do a thing except acknowledge what DL did 20 years ago.

the bad news from Belo Horizonte is showing up on presses around the world.

It is ONLY bad news.

The IAM can and did do something, they came up with bringing work back in-house, so instead of 630 jobs being cut, its 200.

Does DL Employees have the right to negotiate with the company when cut back at MEM, CVG and DTW?

And did DL FAs able to negotiate to keep a job when the closed the crew bases that they did?

Well the AFA at UA did and those affected UA FAs got jobs at CO if they choose to take them.

DL mgmt., you know the ones that you said left DL employees exposed in 7.5, actually did the very same thing that UA is now doing.... and you want to claim credit for the IAM as doing.

No union has done anything to protect jobs that DL mgmt. didn't do for its own employees and in the case of moving jobs from BW to AW, DL did it 20 years.

Spin away.

Did DL and its employees at the stations where DL cut negotiate what happens to them?

Were they offered jobs at a sister airline, oh wait, there isnt one, lol.

The IAM saved 400 jobs that were going to hit the street, why dont you go ask those 400 how they feel that they wont be getting laidoff as their union saved jobs.

Keep avoiding the things poised to you when you know you are wrong, typical of you.

they didn't have to negotiate anything.

The company provided protection that remains unsurpassed by any union.

I am happy for those 400 UA employees.

Just don't claim that the IAM came up with the idea.

The very process was used by DL 20 years ago in 7.5.

And how the event that you have used repeatedly as an excuse for how badly DL has treated its employees is precisely what you now want to claim as a great accomplishment for the IAM.

I'm avoiding nothing. I'm posting the truth that you don't want to hear.

DL has done a better job of protecting the jobs of its employees than any union has ever done.

UA and the IAM just confirmed it.

Yep they sure protected jobs at:
ANC, CVG, MEM, MCO, DFW, MSP, DTW and a host of other cities.

Ask the former hub wokers at DFW and MCO how DL protected them.

Same for the hangars in DFW and TPA, oh wait DL closed all those too.

You are full of it, the IAM has had layoff protections at various times at most carriers, does DL offer that to its non-union employees?

So keep up the spin.

Kevin has proven you wrong over and over on this.

Hey how come DL FAs who are NYC based have to fly out of EWR, JFK and LGA but DL only provides parking for them at two airports?

Why do FAs have to pay to come to work?

of course you want to go down the "list of shame" but would never want to hear about BWI, PIT.....

no, you don't get it.

DL has provided and does provide as good as if not better job protection than the IAM or any other union provides - and is precisely because of that DL people see absolutely no reason to choose a union and in fact 25K former NW employees did their part to make DL the heavily non-union company that it is.

not sure why you keep holding onto Kevin's panties.... he has no more succeeded at his goals than you have.

What is Delta's history of outsourcing of ramp work?

Before the merger with Northwest Airlines, Delta had their own ramp employees at only 15 stations. All other stations were outsourced. Northwest Airlines employed their own ramp workers in 40 stations. They were prevented from outsourcing any of these because of the union contract. Once Delta and Northwest became one carrier Delta brought all ramp work in Northwest union stations back in house.

Delta did not outsource all ramp work in the former Northwest stations because that would have provided too big a target for union supporters. In addition, because of Ready Reserve, Delta could operate these stations very cheaply.

Bottom line? Without the legal protection provided by a union contract, any part of Delta's operation can be outsourced at any time

Sorry Dude, I am not holding onto anyone's panties, and do you have a mancrush on Kevin now?

Be careful, you do have an feminine voice and demeanor about yourself from your video.

Are you coming out of the closet now?

of course you'll turn to the character assassinations since you're backed into the corner again.

I'm not holding onto Kevin's undies... you are.

I debate him. just like I debate you.

of course DL COULD outsource anything. but the simple fact is that they have let their unionized peers set the height of the bar and right now it is a few widths of hair above the ground.

DL has done a better job of protecting its employees' jobs than the union has - and UA just used a system of moving BW employees to AW that DL adopted 20 years ago - and you want to claim as a victory for the IAM.

Conveniently you posted about me holding on to Kevin's panties, you started it.

WorldTraveler said:
not sure why you keep holding onto Kevin's panties.... he has no more succeeded at his goals than you have.
And I have no goal, unlike yourself who is a retiree collecting a frozen pension check, what is your goal since you dont work for DL and havent for years.

What is your goal since you are not in ACS nor a Flight Attendant, its their choice, not mine or your?

If you dont like it, maybe you should think before you post.

DL doesnt protect its jobs, it looks at cost only.

Hence why RR is rampant, hence why some people got a 2% raise while others got a 3% raise.

Hence why DL cut their profit sharing by 33% from a 15% payout to a 10% payout.

Hence why DL has three different pay scales for the same classification, yep thats fair.

Funny how come all the work that came in-house were former NW stations?

Why are MIA, RDU and CLT three decent size operations for DL yet they are still outsourced?

I'm not holding onto Kevin's panties. You are.

stand up and be a big boy and fight your own battles. let him do the same.

Again, let's be clear that DL employees received the LARGEST profit sharing in the history of US aviation and it went UP with their latest profit sharing.

You can hype about the percentage all you want but DL employees look at the amount that got deposited.

and they also look at what the IAM's represented employees don't have because the IAM couldn't be smart enough to see the recovery that was coming in the industry and get a piece of it - and DL's employees have done far better because of their profit sharing.

you and Kev can also harp on the RR program but it is based on protecting the jobs of EXISTING full time employees even if new positions are added as RRs.

the unions haven't negotiated a program as good as what DL is doing.

UA employees have to VOTE to cut their own pay in order to keep their jobs.

no union advantage there. None.whatsoever.

You cant even comprehend what you post and read, you made a derogatory comment towards me, I answered you back, I didnt start the war of wards, you did.

And as far as UA, and taking cuts, if DL wanted to outsource work, do they have to negotiate with their employees to come up with a workable solution?

Nope, they dont, the do as they please as they dont have too and they dont put employees first.

Why are there three different wage scales for ACS and yet they all do the same job?

Why do some DL employees get a 2% raise while others get 3%?

Yep, thats fair and putting employees first.

You are a broken record, and UBER DL can do no wrong in your eyes.

RR doesnt protect Full-Time jobs, it actually harms them as they cut full-time positions and they dont give the current DL Part-Time employees the opportunity to go full-time when a $7.50 an hour employee who gets one raise take the FT position as its not offered as an upgrade.

broken record?

I think you have said the same thing about a dozen times.

I'll just repeat the only fact that matters - DL employees have voted out more unions and more union membership cards were eliminated by DL employees than at any time in the history of US aviation.

No elections have been scheduled since.

the results speak for themselves.

Latest posts