UNITED CSR Doug Beaman

gizmo_sc

Veteran
Mar 19, 2006
http://www.expressjetpilots.com/the-pipe/showthread.php?42002-Don-t-mess-with-UAL-CSR-s!-updated

or the full article

Captain John Rood was the Captain on United Airlines Flight 744 on December 26, 2010 from Denver to Boston departing from Gate B-37. After assisting Maintenance with a reverser problem which had delayed the flight, Customer Service began boarding the aircraft when the go ahead was given by Zone Control around 8:30 am. At the last minute, a Jet Blue pilot entered the cockpit and requested to ride the cockpit jumpseat to Boston since the flight was planned to be full. After checking his credentials, and after introductions were made, the pilot requested to stow his bags in the cockpit, to which Captain Rood agreed since there was plenty of room. The jumpseater further stated that the CSR working the flight had taken his roller board away from him and was going to gate check it. Captain Rood exited the cockpit onto the jetway and saw the pilot’s bag next to the jetway door. He told the CSR, a Mr. Douglas E. Beaman, fn[edited], that it was ok for the pilot to stow his bag in the cockpit. Mr. Beaman rudely responded that the bag was going to be gate checked and would not be allowed on the aircraft. As the working Captain of the flight, Captain Rood felt it was well within his authority over OMC issues to allow the bag in the cockpit. In order to accommodate the jumpseater who was commuting to work, he told the CSR that he was taking the bag onboard. At that time, the CSR opened the jetway door, grabbed the bag, and threw it out onto the slide to the bottom of the jetway stairs. As he did that, Captain Rood attempted to go out onto the jetway stairs, but the CSR abruptly closed the door, and used his body to bump the Captain back onto the jetway. The Captain was astonished by the CSR’s highly antagonistic actions. The Captain asked him if the CSR was going to prevent him from accessing the ramp, to which the CSR replied that was his intention. The Captain pointed out that he was a badged employee and the CSR had no right to deny him access to the ramp. He replied that he was not going to allow the Captain onto the ramp. The Captain then attempted to go around him, when he forcibly tried to stop the Captain’s progress again making physical contact. The Captain continued to move to gain access through the door. When it became apparent that the Captain was going to gain access, Mr. Beaman abruptly stopped pushing, flopped back and stated, “That’s assault.” No one else was present on the jetway during this encounter. The Captain went out the jetway door and down the stairs, retrieved the pilot’s bag, and brought it back up to the top of the jetway stairs. Having forgotten the door access code, he was standing at the top of the stairs outside the jetway door calling the Company Crew telephone number in order to retrieve the code from an automated system. As he was in this process, the CSR opened the jetway door, grabbed the pilot’s bag and again threw it down the jetway slide. The bag was again retrieved, and the Denver Domicile Flight Operations Representative was called in order to get a Flight Manager for assistance. The jetway door again opened, this time by a CSR supervisor, and the Captain regained access to the jetway. The Captain’s access to the aircraft was now blocked by two CSR supervisors. So, as he stood there with the bag, he called the Flight Operations Duty Manager, and spoke with Scott Miller. He explained the situation, and asked him to check on the actual verbiage in the Flight Operations Manual, in order to verify where the bag was allowed to be stowed. Scott verified that it could be stowed in the primary or secondary crew stowage areas, the primary area being in the cockpit. About this time, DEN 767 F/O William Fox, the Flight Operations Representative, came down the jetway, and the Captain briefly explained what has happening. On the jetway now, there were about three CSR supervisors, the CSR, and four Denver Airport police officers. The Captain was surprised when the police arrived, and he became concerned about the escalating situation. He made the statement that he was exercising his Captain’s Authority to board the bag in the cockpit. One police officer came forward, stating that “you have no authority, I am the authority, and your authority is only in effect on the airplane, and then you can be Captain or Admiral or whatever you want.” The Captain also called ALPA representatives who in turn called the NER ACP Captain James Simons in order to get some Flight Operations assistance, but without any success. The Captain was trying to use his resources in the Flight Operations chain of command, but the situation was spiraling out of control. No one from United management seemed to be taking control of matters. A police officer asserted that the Captain was causing an inconvenience for a lot of passengers and that he should just get on the airplane.
The implication was very clear, “Fly or be arrested!” This whole situation, the obvious disregard for the Captain’s authority for the conduct of this flight, the physical intimidation and lying by the CSR, and the added intimidation by the police officers, and the lack of any meaningful support from company management put him in a very difficult situation. He was faced with assuming the responsibility for the safe conduct of the flight and safety of an aircraft with 148 passengers and 5 crew aboard into a snow storm where the forecast visibility was 1 mile and decreasing with a resultant lowering ceiling; or removing himself from the flight due to the continuing stress and mental distraction that he was enduring from the intimidation and interference while attempting to perform his duties in a responsible and diligent manner. The Captain was no longer focused on the jumpseater’s bag, but rather the safety of the flight. The Captain then made a statement questioning his fitness to fly, and that maybe he should conscientiously remove himself from the flight which he subsequently did. After gathering his gear from the cockpit, he was then placed under arrest for assault and disturbance by the Denver Airport Police, handcuffed, transported to first a holding cell at the airport, and then downtown for processing and booking. Up until the point of his self-removal from the flight, he had the option of boarding the aircraft as pilot in command and departing. Except for Captain McCaskey’s assistance in getting from the Denver jail back to DIA, support from United Airlines in this matter has been notably absent. Moreover, he is personally liable for any and all legal fees and other expenses resulting from this incident, even though he was in the pursuit of his duties, and his final decision to remove himself from the flight was made with the overriding interests of flight safety in mind at the expense of his own well-being. Amazingly, the Company has chosen to ignore his self-sacrifice and to instead issue a disciplinary letter of charge for unprofessional behavior. The Captain is currently awaiting the Company’s decision after his hearing at IADFO. The Company's behavior in this matter is unfathomable when viewed soley in the context of safe airline operations. But when you factor in their campaign against the stature and importance of the airline pilot profession thier actions become understandable. Lastly, the fact that Captain Rood is an active ALPA volunteer, currently serving on the MEC Grievance Committee, makes very clear the motivation behind the Company's actions.

Incredible! Hindsight is always 20/20, but maybe the CA should have called for Chief Pilot/union/fellow FO assistance at the first hint of power-grab by the agent. Unfortunately, unless the agent gets smart and drops the "assault" charge, with no witnesses it's going to be a "he said/she said" kind of issue in court. It could end up not being good for the pilot unless he finds a way to sue the crap out of the agent--slander, defamation of character, whatever.

Somethings not right here...if there were no witnesses to the initial altercation then why was the pilot arrested? Last I checked simply pointing at someone and claiming assault didn't get too many people arrested without some incriminating evidence to prove the point.

On a side note don't use employee file numbers on an open forum

TSH

Shame on whoever posted this topic in a public forum. Commuters have no special privileges and to side with one is just wrong. Someone just trying to do their job during the holiday rush and being pushed by a another employee is just wrong. I don't care what you say. The Captain should have minded his own business and done his job. Fly the freakin plane. Naming names is bullspit.

Reactions: 1 person
Somethings not right here...if there were no witnesses to the initial altercation then why was the pilot arrested? Last I checked simply pointing at someone and claiming assault didn't get too many people arrested without some incriminating evidence to prove the point.

On a side note don't use employee file numbers on an open forum

TSH
Sounds like somebody try to exercise their authority without cause or power

Waaaaay too long incident description. Could only have been written by someone who was there and has too much leisure time. Or is very unhappy with life.

Surely the TSA would have automatically resolved the dispute. They always do. With powers that rival The Almighty.

It is not an 'article'. Just another unsubstantiated post on the internet.
There are many forums discussing this issue.
No news article, just more spam.

I agree xUT. And who's side of the story are we really getting here?

Just like Monty Python sang:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITeuaqcpckc

I agree xUT. And who's side of the story are we really getting here?

Just like Monty Python sang:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITeuaqcpckc

You guys are clueless. This incident did happen. It's in the Denver court records (I looked it up and so can you), and it is confirmed by the UAL pilot MEC. For God's sake just look up the pilots schedule on unimatic.

How about using your real names? Are you scared of something. THis is my real name. I'm not scared of the internet boggy
man.

I thought the pilot forum was full of idiots. This forum make the pilots look like Einstein.

You guys are clueless. This incident did happen. It's in the Denver court records (I looked it up and so can you), and it is confirmed by the UAL pilot MEC. For God's sake just look up the pilots schedule on unimatic.

How about using your real names? Are you scared of something. THis is my real name. I'm not scared of the internet boggy
man.

I thought the pilot forum was full of idiots. This forum make the pilots look like Einstein.

Trout-Pressure-suit-patch.jpg

This U?
:p

man.

I have seen this incident on several forums...Botttom line there is still two sides to this story.. Sounds to me like two egos got out of hand. I have seen both pilots and agents flaunt their perceived power. But getting cops involved and if true if this was over a J/S bag even I have to call time out. Totally stupid if you ask me. But somehow I think there is more to this story than is being presented on this forum. Anyway in my opinion ALL of us employees should always be on each others side as co-workers..I always found it disturbing that some of our own co-workers who non-rev treat fellow employees like the enemy when they themselves travel non-rev. I am no longer on the passenger end of airline employment but I think that you have enough battles with airline management you don't need to strike out at fellow workers trying to go on vacation.

man.

Can you send a link? The story just seems to have some holes in it. And no we're not idiots.....just not internet suckers.

Finally a Link:
Pilot arrested over luggage confrontation at DIA

Captain John Rood, 53, of Virginia, was arrested for misdemeanor assault and disturbing the peace for an altercation at Gate B37.

Rood pushed the worker, who fell and scraped a finger, the police summons said.

The Denver Police officer who responded to the gate indicated Rood was "highly agitated and uncooperative" and refused to provide information.