United Embraces A La Carte

Iheartflying

Advanced
Jan 25, 2008
United has adopted an a la carte program similar to US. Who's next?

Across the company, we are taking action to redefine our work and our airline in very difficult economic circumstances. Onboard Service is identifying ways to conserve cash and generate revenue while maintaining a clear focus on both safety and customer service. In the next several weeks, the division will implement staffing and catering changes to help tackle the challenge.
"We are taking an overall approach that will enable us to reduce costs while preserving a differentiated product for our premium cabin customers," says Alex Marren, senior vice president-Onboard Service.

Effective July 1, we will implement a charge of $6 for alcoholic beverages in United Economy. We will also begin charging for alcoholic beverages in the economy cabin on all Pacific and intra-Asia flights beginning August 1.

Also beginning August 1, we will conduct tests offering a la carte snack items available for purchase in the economy cabin for $3. These items, including cookies, candy, chips and trail mix, are in 4- to 5-ounce portions and are in line with our strategy of offering customers more items that they value and can choose from accordingly. The U.S. domestic testing, to run through the summer, will include Denver-Seattle flights and Denver-San Francisco, as well as Chicago-Denver and Chicago-Boston trips. International flights participating in the test will include Los Angeles-London and Los Angeles-Frankfurt flights, as well as San Francisco-London and San Francisco-Frankfurt flights.

Staffing changes to go into effect August 1 include reductions in flight attendant staffing on the Boeing 777XA and B747OB aircraft, as well as B757 and p.s. flights. We will implement these changes with an eye toward maintaining a clear differentiation between the three cabin products, as well as between United First and United Business on international flights.

We continue to enlist the ideas of our flight attendants to streamline service procedures so that we continue to serve our customers in the best and most efficient way possible.

Flight attendants have begun accepting the "Early Out" option for eligible flight attendants, which goes into effect August 1. In addition, we continue to offer unpaid schedule flexibility, including special leaves of absence and both 30-day and daily authorized no-pay offerings. The division is also undergoing salaried and management organizational reviews that will result in workforce reductions of approximately 20 percent, similar to other divisions.

No outrage from me. Quite frankly I'm glad and a little relieved. At least we won't be the only ones so now when a passenger complains I can say "we aren't the only ones, United is charging as well". :p

Times are a changing and it's been a loooong time coming, high oil prices or not. My prediction is that more will follow suit with the obvious exception of Southwest.

I just think it was funny how everyone was quick to jump on US but no one is saying anything about United doing something similar. Why the double standard?

I just think it was funny how everyone was quick to jump on US but no one is saying anything about United doing something similar. Why the double standard?

My only thoughts are that this is still not quite as "A La Carte" as US...

I see nothing in the post stating they are charging for Water/Juice or Soda. In my opinion, this is what most people are upset with, at least that's what bothers me the most.

As for Alcohol, there has always been a charge for this, I don't see any issues with this but US will be charging 7.00 and UAL is going to charge 6.00.

As for Food in economy, both US and UAL have been charging this already, so I don't see a big change here.

I tried looking for this info on UAL's website, but can't find it, do you have a link for it?

Because nobody cares that you are mad about having to serve more food inflight.

Nobody cares about United for that matter either.

What United is doing is charging for snack items that they DO NOT currently serve complimentary. US also sold individual snack items before we merged with that airline out west. We sold full sized Pringles, beef jerky, gummy bears and movie size kit-kat bars. What you DON'T see United doing is charging for soft beverages. It amazes me thought that STILL US thinks their product for domestic f/c is REMOTELY in line with other carriers. IT'S NOT FOLKS. So while I have no problem with trying to bring in some added dough $$$ I DO have a problem with how they view our FF's who PAY THE BILLS. So in closing there is very little similarity between UA's attempt at A La Carte' and US's hillbilly approach to covering their lack of managing an airline. :rolleyes:

That's the point!!

United is NOT charging for sodas, juices, coffee and water. Their management realizes that it would be stupid to put passengers on a plane and make them pay for HYDRATION! Only the idiots in Tempe think that charging $2 for a glass of water on a 6 hour transcon flight makes good business sense!!!

I promise you, the lawsuits will be files within hours of the first flight on August 1st!! The first lawyer who runs from A25 to C27 in Philly with 13 minutes to make his connection and is charged $2 for a drink of water will be the first in line----can you imagine???

LISTEN UP TEMPE!!! Passengers and employees alike have no problems with the fees for "premium" beverages---it is charging for ALL beverages that is the issue!! Our customers need SOMETHING to drink for free. PERIOD!! Otherwise, this "ala carte" system will be ala-carting you into court!!!!

And now that I have "insubordination-check" on my PC I should be able to avoid being ambushed by US management on my way to work. That being said....Flight attendants are a smart and imaginative group and (it is my opinion) flight attendants will have no problems legitimizing free drinks for most everyone....if nothing else get the pilot (the ultimate authority for the safe operation of the aircraft) to sign for it in order to assure a flight safe from medical/safety incidents inflight.

BTW--Where is USAPA's "strongly-worded statement" on the ala carte beverages?? Come-on new and brave union!!! MAKE A STATEMENT!!!

Gee, I hope more Management isn't waiting for me(again) when I get into PHL from my trip tomorrow.....almost has me shaking in my boots.....

United is NOT charging for sodas, juices, coffee and water. Their management realizes that it would be stupid to put passengers on a plane and make them pay for HYDRATION! Only the idiots in Tempe think that charging $2 for a glass of water on a 6 hour transcon flight makes good business sense!!!

Yet Amtrak puts you on a train for up to 24+ hours and expects you to buy your sodas, juices, coffee and water. Why should a plane be any different?

Yet Amtrak puts you on a train for up to 24+ hours and expects you to buy your sodas, juices, coffee and water. Why should a plane be any different?

I can refund, change, and alter an amtrak ticket without paying $150, for starters.

Besides that, United is not charging for drinks, they are going to be a buck cheaper on alcohol.

Finally, I just booked a $10+ ticket on Qantas to Oz, largely to avoid giving UA a dime of my money. OTOH, I wonder how many snack boxes they'll need to sell to recoup that kind of revenue.

I have always made my thoughts clear on why airlines are held to a different standard than the train BUT have had time to think it through. First of all trains don't limit what you can bring from home such as soda or water. There is no TSA to clear. Second you are free to move about the cars as you wish. Like to dine in the snack car and grab a bev? Sure your free to do so. Airplanes are transportation YES but it IS a bit different. Also the situation holds water of passengers running between flights. Those that charge like Spirit and Allegiant don't have connections for the most part. The majority of their flying is point to point or in Spirits case FLL to a Caribbean or Latin American destination. All in all the charging for soda's is grasping at straws to cover what the REAL problem is. It's ridiculous and will be worked around. Trust me. ;)

Hmmm. I was in the market the other day and 5 12 packs of soda cost 10.99. I stopped at shell and put a few dollars in the empty gas tank (of course I didn't have enough money to fill it) and notice shell was selling 6 12 packs of soda for the same price.

Have we questioned the company where they intend on purchasing the beverages? Would be a real hoot if it were the oil companies who have a hand in all of it. Maybe Usairways will be hedging fuel another way. Seems like everyone outside the U S of A makes more money ripping off Americans. One never will know will we?

UH DUH Maybe because they are not charging for cokes and waters hello did u read what u posted?

They'll charge for alcohol in Economy on transpacific flights, loser USAir doesnt even have any transpac service aside from the route they got hoping a 75 would make it.... US started charging on transatlantic flights half a decade ago and it's pretty standard. Plus a beer on UA is STILL a buck cheaper than Despairways and everything else is still FREE, just like every other real airline. NO BIG DEAL They aren't trying to get two bucks out of you for a Coke NO ONE has followed trashy America West style US with this and no one will

US Airways plan IS an outrage as is the whole culture from the clueless trailer desert people....... United is not doing anything even close to it

I just think it's funny that you can't read