United Lufthansa

cubfan02us

Sep 10, 2002
With todays announcement that the US and the EU have reached an open skies agreement a new round of consolidation is approaching. Glen Tilton's call for global ties in the airline business has been answered.

Virgin America will be flying soon, Heathrow will open up,
American will tie up with British Airways and Delta, NWA, and CO will become one.

I have predicted a United and US Airways merger for some time now but the end game is quickly approaching.

United....Lufthansa...US Airways
United Air Group

Deutsche Lufthansa AG (ISIN: DE0008232125) (pronounced [dɔɪtʃə ˈlʊftˌhanza]) is the largest German airline, and the second-largest in Europe (behind Air France-KLM, but before British Airways).[citation needed] The name of the company is derived from Luft (the German word for "air"), and Hansa (after Hanseatic League, the powerful medieval trading group).

Other airlines probably will be involved , but not sure of the logistics. ANA and Air Canada (the Star Alliance) will surely be involved.

Makes the discussion of new widebodies pale in comparison
doesn't .

With todays announcement that the US and the EU have reached an open skies agreement...

I'm glad somebody brought this up. If approved, this agreement will allow foreign ownership up to 49.9% of a US carrier. Additionaly, it will allow any EU carrier to fly from any EU point to any US city. US carriers will be able to do the same. Lastly, Heathrow will be open to all-if we can get the slots. Who knows, though-for the right price, maybe our European alliance partners will sell some?? Very exciting indeed. Hopefully, our service over here will be brought up to their standards as well!

With todays announcement that the US and the EU have reached an open skies agreement a new round of consolidation is approaching. Glen Tilton's call for global ties in the airline business has been answered.

Virgin America will be flying soon, Heathrow will open up,
American will tie up with British Airways and Delta, NWA, and CO will become one.

I have predicted a United and US Airways merger for some time now but the end game is quickly approaching.

United....Lufthansa...US Airways
United Air Group

Deutsche Lufthansa AG (ISIN: DE0008232125) (pronounced [dɔɪtʃə ˈlʊftˌhanza]) is the largest German airline, and the second-largest in Europe (behind Air France-KLM, but before British Airways).[citation needed] The name of the company is derived from Luft (the German word for "air"), and Hansa (after Hanseatic League, the powerful medieval trading group).

Other airlines probably will be involved , but not sure of the logistics. ANA and Air Canada (the Star Alliance) will surely be involved.

Makes the discussion of new widebodies pale in comparison
doesn't .

More news to support my original post.....

My Webpage

My Webpage

My Webpage

My Webpage

I hope these links work . I can't seem to figure out how to make 'em a cyberlink .

Just got in from FRA. Seems that the folks at Star are wondering why we're even in the alliance anymore. We don't participate in anything they do (one official told me that out of 17 airlines, one can be expected to NEVER show up for meetings...US). What's really funny is that all Star carriers--except one--have signed on to one single reservation system by the close of 2008. What is it? Amadeus. Which carrier in the alliance isn't switching? US...we decided that SHARES was better. Brilliant.

This is troubling, can you share your sources?

I was led to believe that Star Alliance was a top priority for US Airways and that they have 3 people that do nothing but act as liasons to the Star Alliance.

PM me if you like but I'd be curious as to the source.

Doogie & Company think they know better. Star Alliance, Schmar Alliance. Doogie is the wunderkind of the industry (at least in his own mind.)

And I am certain that, for the Star Alliance, USAirways does have "3 people that do nothing," as you so aptly put it.

Well, that is a bit of hyperbole. Those 3 people are probably out on the golf course during the Star Alliance meetings...and that's technically not "nothing."

Hardly any of the ads you see for US Airways even mention the Star Alliance. The corny Coca Cola/Bob's Ice cream whatever TV ads don't even have the Star Alliance member tag on them. Just some VP from an ice cream company and an A320 (not very impressive) taking off in the background. Nothing about the new US- the lack of amenities, design school dropout livery and "look" says serious international competitor. I'm glad US seems to be capable of competing with Southwest now, but its obvious that they are used to ONLY competing with Southwest as opposed to say, Delta, or American, or British Airways...

The Delta plan seemed to be put this pig to bed and become part of our more worldly direct competitor... Whats the plan now? They want to serve Asia but they cant run a website, cater a beverage only narrowbody, provide a first class experience or even give correct flight information. Mixed signals! I'm sure the Star Alliance is taking a hard look at the "new" US Airways.

This is troubling, can you share your sources?

Very troubling, indeed. I thought that *A membership was still a major source of revenue. (And a bit of pride, if we still have any). And Amadeus is light years ahead of the manure pile that many consider QIK.

Back to the original topic of the thread, imagine the powerhouse LH/UA/US would be.

I know of only one US employee at Star HQ in FRA.

From what I am told, whenever Star has meetings for strategic planning (one could be for purchasing, one for marketing, one for logistics), we are the only carrier that doesn't participate. I am not talking about the employee we have in FRA, I'm talking about the big wigs from those respective departments in Tempe. For example, there was a meeting for Alliance members recently in Los Angeles--a city that is a mere 45 minute flight from PHX. The higher ups from Singapore, LOT, Lufthansa, Thai, ANA, TAP, etc. flew in from all over the world for this meeting. We didn't bother to show up.

Just got in from FRA. Seems that the folks at Star are wondering why we're even in the alliance anymore. We don't participate in anything they do (one official told me that out of 17 airlines, one can be expected to NEVER show up for meetings...US). What's really funny is that all Star carriers--except one--have signed on to one single reservation system by the close of 2008. What is it? Amadeus. Which carrier in the alliance isn't switching? US...we decided that SHARES was better. Brilliant.

Supposively, SHARES is part of the Amadeus system or is at least a distant cousin. From what I understand Shares is based off of Eastern's SystemOne like Amadeus so they at least have a common ancestor.

and QIK would be...
..the ex-con cousin no one talks about? :p

...the shiftless brother-in-law? :p

...[your suggestions to follow]

Its the trailer cousin!

US is the trailer trash family member in the Star Alliance... they are probably glad US doesn't show up and happy US is alphabetically at the bottom in ads... they are probably waiting for the moment they can drop them.

TalkingSplash.gif

and QIK would be...
..the ex-con cousin no one talks about? :p

...the shiftless brother-in-law? :p

...[your suggestions to follow]

I don't even think QIK is remotely related to anyone in this family. My understanding is it is a "generic" interface that runs over top of something else. Much like Windows 3.1 ran over DOS.

So thinking in those terms QIK would be the houseguest that never wants to leave because it's so comfy at your house. :D

I'm glad somebody brought this up. If approved, this agreement will allow foreign ownership up to 49.9% of a US carrier. Additionaly, it will allow any EU carrier to fly from any EU point to any US city. US carriers will be able to do the same. Lastly, Heathrow will be open to all-if we can get the slots. Who knows, though-for the right price, maybe our European alliance partners will sell some?? Very exciting indeed. Hopefully, our service over here will be brought up to their standards as well!

Ain't going to pass. Thank your unions & Congress. The 24.9% voting thing....

Why do y'all think this treaty is going to the next best thing to sliced bread?

Ask KLM & AF how it goes.

Oh yeah, hi WT!

Latest posts