Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
United Moves Closer to Leaving Bankruptcy Protection

By Ross Snel
TheStreet.com Staff Reporter
7/1/2005 11:27 AM EDT
Click here for more stories by Ross Snel

United Airlines' parent, UAL (UALAQ:OTC BB - news - research), says it's on track to emerge this fall from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

The company announced Friday that it was initiating its exit process by filing a proposed timeline with its bankruptcy court. It also said it plans to file a plan of reorganization with the court around Aug. 1.

In its two-and-a-half years in bankruptcy, United has taken drastic measures to reduce costs in to cope with brutal industry environment. The company has extracted more than $3 billion in annual concessions from workers and gotten government pension insurers to take over its pension plans, a move that will reduce benefits for many employees and retirees. These actions have generated worker resentment and helped prompt lawmaker efforts to reform the nation's pension laws.

"Today's filing represents perhaps the most significant step forward in our restructuring," said Glenn Tilton, the company's president and CEO, in a news release. "We appreciate the substantial contributions of our stakeholders that have brought us to this point, and we look forward to our ongoing collaboration as we complete the work necessary to successfully conclude our restructuring and exit as a viable, competitive company."

On Thursday, another network carrier, US Airways (UAIRQ:OTC BB - news - research), took an important step in its efforts to emerge from Chapter 11 by filing its plan of reorganization and disclosure statement with the court overseeing its bankruptcy.

The plan is based on US Airways' merger with America West Holdings (AWA:NYSE - news - research), which the two airlines announced in May. In addition to lifting US Airways out of bankruptcy, the merger would significantly increase America West's scale. But analysts have said it faces significant challenges, including meshing two labor groups with different seniority levels.

US Airways said the bankruptcy court has scheduled an Aug. 9 hearing to sign off on its disclosure statement. It also said it and America West remain on track to close their merger by late September or early October. The deal has already received the approval of federal antitrust enforcers.

In a news release, US Airways said its creditors who have claims of $50,000 or less will receive a cash payment of 10% of the amount of their claim. Other creditors with unsecured claims will receive stock in the reorganized company.

Existing common shares of both United and US Airways are likely to be canceled and rendered worthless when the companies emerge from bankruptcy protection. US Airways shares were trading at 67 cents, and United shares were quoted at $1.45.

novaqt said:
Fly:

Can't you retire your Avatar now? I'm keep getting a backache!
[post="279831"][/post]​
Why is that his choice for an avatar? I keep wondering if I should turn off avatars at work . . .

Those huge jugs flopping back and forth have got to smart by by now. Ouch....my back!!!

dc3fanatic said:
Why is that his choice for an avatar? I keep wondering if I should turn off avatars at work . . .
[post="279833"][/post]​
you are allowed to play on the computer at work? Would it be allowed if I had a different avatar or should you turn off the computer games and get back to work?

Didn't we hear this prediction last year :lol: ??? Has UniTED set up their new business model for $70 a barrel for oil :shock: ???? Like last year we'll wait and see and won't be holding our breath! :blink:

Frontier is doing everything it needs to do to adjust to the flucuation in oil pricing. We aren't in BK and struggling for survival like UniTED is. Yeah we have lost money due to the over capacity, pricing, and oil. But still not hemeraging blood like UniTED is each month. It will be interesting as the end of summer approaches to see if Tilton and the boys are just blowing smoke again about a fall BK exit. SEEING IS BElIEVING!

You know, for two plus years now they have said 3 times that an exit was immenant. They are begining to sound just like the union groups and all the chest thumping strike talk that NO ONE COULD BEAR TO LIVE UP TO! You know the UniTED employee groups are just like their management, ALL TALK AND NO ACTION!

Sorry we couldn't 'take one for the team' for you.

Of course, no one would have had to if the 'wanna be airline people' hadn't lowered the bar by working for pennies years ago.

Fly:

Thanks! My back feels better already!

Also the "wanna be LCC's have no where to go" when fuel goes even higher. They'll be giving Fishy a wage cut or maybe even a job cut. Goodbye Fishy!!

[deleted HUGE image. Please dont post photos that large. It is hard for some people to download and ties up the system. thanks.]

[ Picture of a dead drunk fish, use your imagination]

When F9 shuts down UniTED will be out of business, that you can count on! Even though your management is still dreaming of ANOTHER BK exit in AUG (which they predicted two year's in a row and didn't happen) as oil continues to rise they will still be F&^kED and you ALL KNOW IT!

Best thing that could happen for you all at UniTED now is that the BK judge finally wakes up and lets other parties file a reorganization plan PERIOD. Your current management will NEVER PULL THIS OFF! :p

BLah Blah Blah. Shut your lips fish...your airline is just like that picture that FLY posted...DEAD! :eek:

You've been saying that for a year and we are still around. And we are no where near the predicament that UniTED still finds it's self in today, tomorrow, next week, next month, and probably still next year! I know the truth hurts, but UniTED still has a lot to show people before they'll get out of BK. But then again they could be like USAIR. They could exit BK and then when oil hits the $70 a barrel range, they'll find themselves seeking BK protection again. Then they'll be back in your wallet, trying to get you to beleive that the best thing in your life is to give more so you can still have a crappy employer to work for.

mrfish3726 said:

But then again they could be like USAIR. They could exit BK and then when oil hits the $70 a barrel range, they'll find themselves seeking BK protection again. Then they'll be back in your wallet, trying to get you to beleive that the best thing in your life is to give more so you can still have a crappy employer to work for.
[post="280157"][/post]​

But then again, maybe they won't...Who knows for sure? You haven't been much of an arm-chair analyst yourself Chum....