United/shuttle America

Cosmo

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
United just announced that Chautauqua, Republic and Shuttle America will join the United Express program later this year, operating 16 50-seater RJs (probably ERJ-145s), 16 70-seater RJs (CRJ-700s?) and 10 34-seat Saab turboprops, respectively. These aircraft will be used at United's ORD and IAD hubs, presumably to replace some of ACA's aircraft. Read the press release here.

The most interesting question posed by this announcement is whether these RJs are new deliveries or instead are aircraft taken from the current US Airways Express operations that these carriers provide (although I'm not sure whether Republic is actually operating 70-seaters for US Airways at this time).

Chautauqua 16 50-seater RJs (probably ERJ-145s)
Republic 16 70-seater RJs (CRJ-700s?)
Shuttle America 10 34-seat Saab turboprops

What airlines do these carriers currently serve? I must plead some stupidity, I have never really heard any of these names before.

It was announced today that Shuttle America will begin flying 9-10 Saabs for United Airlines around June. It will continue its TTN-BED service until further notice due to passenger response to the closure. SA will also continue flying 6 planes for US Airways. CHQ and Republic will also begin service for United.

This isnt something to be excited about. Sniff around the US board for info on Shuttle America. (EDIT-didnt realize we were on US board).

But does this mean US is rid of them? 6 planes insnt too bad... hopefully they'll hide them in very small markets out of PIT only. For the sake of 6 planes, couldnt Colgan take those routes over and eliminate another Express operator? Less is more!

Chauatuqua does American Connection, Delta Connection, and US Airways Express, and in the past has done America West Express. They operate ERJ135, 140, and 145. Based in IND.

Republic I believe is just an alter-ego company to Chautauqua, presumedly non-union. They were supposed to do USX, but I believe ALPA vetoed this (dont quote me on this, I could be wrong). I think they would operate ERJs as well. Based in SDF.

Shuttle America, once an independent Dash8 operator in the Northeast, now operates Saab340As as US Airways Express. Based in FWA.

All are owned by the same company, Wexford.

This brings it up to what, 8 Express operators? If its anything like the US Airways Express cluster****, good luck!!! :shock:

This is welcome news at US as deliveries come to the MidAtlantic division (division staffed by furloughees operating the new 70+ seat E-jets) and PSA (wholly owned subsidiary operating CRJs). In turn, this has made some Dash 8s (also wholly owned subs Allegheny and Piedmont) able to take over some turboprop routes from affiliates). There is finally growth for US Airways Group employees rather than affiliates, so this may be a result of aircraft becoming available as US wisely replaces them with in-house metal.

Good luck with Shuttle America. I can only hope that US will be rid of them all together. Their A/C are pathetic and can't take a full load on a good day with ideal WX conditions. The crews are another story, but I will leave you in suspense and let you see for yourselves. ;)

They should take the remaining 6 and fly them one final time to a boneyard. Maybe some animals could use them for shelter, and there would be no restrictions!!!! An operation like theirs, I have never seen in my career.

I'm sorry. Is it really Sa's fault that they were stuck by their owners with old, crummy equipment? I think it's remarkable that they've stayed at or near the top of US Airways Express' on-time performance. They've worked with the equipment they've been given, staff levels they've been given and done a great job. I've never had a major problem with them. Sure there are days that flights are delayed for whatever reason, or I may have had a FA with PMs. But you will have that on every airline. I have yet to find an airline that has perfect operations. And I've heard the stories about dirty, smelly aircraft. Well, when you have planes that are this old, things are not going to look like they do on a brand new a/c. And if some schmo decides to take a crap on the leg b/f your flight, there's not a whole lot the cleaners can do in a twenty minute turn about the smell. I'm no fan of Saabs, but I do think SA deserves a little more credit then they've been recieving.

Isnt SA the one with the flight attendant who wears a studded dog collar, and tucks his pants into rainbow-laced combat boots? Snazzy!

I wonder will they even bother to paint the planes. I've seen several all white Saabs (could also be Colgan) and my fave is the one that is in Canadi<n Airlines livery. Retro chic!

A friend of mine non-revved on a flight to CRW on them and the F/A requested that some passengers move seats, I guess for weight and balance. When a pax was confused, the F/A said "You gotta move or we'll go (downward hard motion) like that plane in North Carolina!" Classy.

Dew, you are correct that the employees dont have much say over aircraft. The blame lies with management who encourage the cheapest product, a product that scares/annoys people away from the "sponsor" airline.

So how does this affect US service? Will some cities get CRJs now or get Dashes and Dorniers back? How many cities does SA serve now?

This means that many shuttle stations at US air will be getting someone else which is better than having shuttle! Id bet on PSa stations getting CRJs or some of the dorniers that are still in the fleet.

Oh and what is up with that canadian airlines A/C? it looks like crap! I am disgraced to step on that A/C. Why cant they paint it at least?

Thats the more interesting thing here... Republic is not up and running but will operate 70 seaters. Its sister company CHQ operates all ERJs, so one would think it might be E-jets. However, UAX has thus far only operated the CRJ700- a few years ago UA wanted all CRJs, but it diesnt seem like they are looking for consistency in fleet type anymore...

So the UAX fleet should look like this... please feel free to correct my questions

CRJ (Air Wisconsin, SkyWest, Atlantic Coast for now, Mesa)
ERJ145 (Mesa? Chautauqua, Trans States)
ERJ135? (Chq?)
EMB120 (SkyWest)
J41 (ACA or are they gone?)
D328 (Air Willy unless they are gone?)
F328JET (ACA unless they are all on DL side now?)
SF340A (Shuttle America)
DH8 (Mesa)
CRJ700 (SkyWest, Air Willy? Mesa?)
BAE146 (Air Willy)
E170 (possibly Republic?)

Light Years said:
F328JET (ACA unless they are all on DL side now?)
All of the FRJ's that ACA operates are for DL only. Of course, the ACA contract with DL may not last much longer. The moment ACA takes delivery of the first Airbus (for Independence Air), DL will be violation of its contract with its pilots.

Latest posts