United to add anti-maskers to Do Not Fly list

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
I guess this is one way to force compliance with mask guidelines.

https://www.wvlt.tv/2020/06/16/united-airlines-to-blacklist-passengers-who-dont-wear-masks/

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (CNN) - United Airlines says it will start blacklisting passengers who refuse to wear face masks.

The airline plans to roll out the new policy on Thursday. It will require flight attendants to ask passengers whose faces are not covered to use a mask.

Those passengers will be offered a mask if they don’t have their own, but if they still say “no,” their names could be put on an internal restriction list when they reach their destination.

After that, United flights could be off-limits to those passengers, at least for a while.

The move comes after four major airlines said they would tighten their rules on face masks.

United finally getting on board. Not enforcing until June 18th. Why not back when other airlines did it? I can tell you why, they have felt the low passengers when it comes to certain safely policies of the airlines once on board and in the air. JB was first and Southwest followed suit right behind JB. The 3 biggies all said they would NOT enforce once in or on the aircraft. Now they (3 biggies) are having a change in tone as they are finding out that they could have had more passengers sooner if they would have enacted the enforced policies. People are way more concerned about following safe practices in order to get back on the aircraft. And BTW, Southwest just announced to further mandate the new policies thru Sep. as it was first said until July.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/7f97029...m_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article&yptr=yahoo

Last edited:
My guess is that they're messaging it now while they get all the support systems in place to handle how to actually collect the anti-masker names and deal with how to actually deny them future boarding. It's the whole actions vs. words thing, you know...

And please, Southwest didn't say anything about consequences on their policy. You can't turn flight attendants into the health police without a way to deal with it other than diverting....

If anything, this seems to leapfrog what Southwest and Jetblue promised by having consequences by which to hold people accountable.

Looking at the TSA numbers, mask policies aren't why people are returning to the air. They're simply sick of lockdowns, and most of the country is opening up. Time to salvage a family vacation while you can, go see the sights or people in person vs. virtually.

My guess is that they're messaging it now while they get all the support systems in place to handle how to actually collect the anti-masker names and deal with how to actually deny them future boarding. It's the whole actions vs. words thing, you know...

And please, Southwest didn't say anything about consequences on their policy. You can't turn flight attendants into the health police without a way to deal with it other than diverting....

If anything, this seems to leapfrog what Southwest and Jetblue promised by having consequences by which to hold people accountable.

Looking at the TSA numbers, mask policies aren't why people are returning to the air. They're simply sick of lockdowns, and most of the country is opening up. Time to salvage a family vacation while you can, go see the sights or people in person vs. virtually.

E, Southwest did say if you won't wear a mask on flight you will not board. Not only in articles but also when on the local news. JB also said the same, that they will not board if they are not willing to wear mask or f/c. It was shortly after that that the big 3 said they would NOT enforce once on the a/c. And now they are changing their toons. BTW SWA CEO also stated no fly in one of his video updates at work. So it has been stated, and very clearly stated. In the very first announcement it was not stated, but after some backlash from the passengers and the flying public, JB came out first then SWA followed up the following day with the same policy of no fly if no mask/face covering.

And here's American NOW enforcing the mask policy:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/conservat...wear-mask-051316419--abc-news-topstories.html

Good for American! I agree with this policy 100%. I figured it wouldn't be long for the big 3 to come around.
And yes Kev., I also read where Delta too was now enforcing the mask policy to the "no fly list" A good move to get the passengers back sooner IMO and the bookings are now proving it. Now with all the majors and top 5 airlines requiring mask we will more than likely see a better response from passengers.

swaamt, what you're missing is that "refusing to board" someone means nothing the moment they're airborne. The Southwest and JetBlue policies really had no teeth once the aircraft left the gate.

I'm not missing crap. Cannot speak for JB going this far, but, Southwest will also put your name on a no fly list. Not the TSA's/Home Security no fly list, the airlines no fly list. So they can do what they want. It will get noted. Wish them luck on their next flight with the same airline.

Swamt how long will the no fly list be for any pax on it?
Robbed, it depends on the airline at this point. The New Yorker who was removed from an American Airlines flight is banned from flying AA until masks are no longer required. So, in that case it is for an indefinite time. I understand( aka airline gossip) that United, Delta, and SWA are all considering similar banishment.

Just a thought...it would be neat if the airlines shared punishments, and then let the public know well enough in advance that a banishment until masks are no longer required on AA would be a banishment until masks are no longer required on all airlines. That might make putting on your mask and sitting down quietly a good idea. Maybe put it in the Contract for Carriage.

Last edited:
Robbed, it depends on the airline at this point. The New Yorker who was removed from an American Airlines flight is banned from flying AA until masks are no longer required. So, in that case it is for an indefinite time. I understand( aka airline gossip) that United, Delta, and SWA are all considering similar banishment.

Just a thought...it would be neat if the airlines shared punishments, and then let the public know well enough in advance that a banishment until masks are no longer required on AA would be a banishment until masks are no longer required on all airlines. That might make putting on your mask and sitting down quietly a good idea. Maybe put it in the Contract for Carriage.
That makes sense n I would hope it'd be similar at other air carriers

Swamt how long will the no fly list be for any pax on it?

Not sure of time frame. But at least while the mask are required period. They may get relaxed on the list once the mask requirement is lifted.

Jim, I just read an article where the airlines (A4A) are now starting to share that info with one another in hopes of slowing the spread of C-19. What other airlines do with said listers from other airlines is up to them, however, at least it was brought to their attention that they could be dealing with a NON-compliant passenger even before they show up and they are aware for a possible removal from flight before it might get delayed by said passenger bucking the system. More of a look out for, or a heads up and keep your eyes open for type of move between the airlines. A good move in my opinion.
Funny we are still talking about being compliant on wearing mask, and YES, as this article states below, ALL airlines have the full ability to enforce mask/face coverings or you get NO service and you no fly. And guess what, they cannot sue for it. Ok, they could sue but won't win in any court of law while all this C-19 is on going.
So the ball is in your court passengers, go ahead and be defiant and NON-compliant wearing your mask/face coverings, and you won't fly, AND get put on the airlines no fly lists shared with other airlines. Tight industry that has always shared info with one another especially within the A4A groups, which is all the major biggies and even some smaller ones coming on board with the inner sharings of information not all are with A4A. Why go thru all that, just wear your mask/face coverings or you won't fly, period...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-airlines-legal-bar-passengers-193001730.html

E, Southwest did say if you won't wear a mask on flight you will not board. Not only in articles but also when on the local news. JB also said the same, that they will not board if they are not willing to wear mask or f/c. It was shortly after that that the big 3 said they would NOT enforce once on the a/c. And now they are changing their toons. BTW SWA CEO also stated no fly in one of his video updates at work. So it has been stated, and very clearly stated. In the very first announcement it was not stated, but after some backlash from the passengers and the flying public, JB came out first then SWA followed up the following day with the same policy of no fly if no mask/face covering.

http://abcstlouis.com/news/nation-w...west-flight-not-wearing-masks-oregon-man-says