United To Recall 250 F/as On July 1, 2004

laura62

Advanced
Aug 21, 2003
From AFA:

United Announces Recall of 250 Effective July 1, 2004

Furlough Recall Notification and Information

The Company today announced that they intend to recall up to 250 Flight Attendants from voluntary furlough per Section 21.A.4.c. of the Contract. The Company explains that the involuntary recall from voluntary furlough is in response to an increase in aircraft hours. This is good news for our jobs, yet we recognize this will present unique challenges for our flying partners being recalled and we offer our assistance and understanding during their return to work.

Flight Attendants junior to and including those with system seniority number 17788, with an *SW classification seniority date of August 1, 1998, as listed on the system seniority list dated May 4, 2004, are subject to recall from voluntary furlough. This is a permanent recall. Approximately 3,800 flight attendants remain on voluntary recall with scheduled return dates through 2007. The next scheduled return is October 31, 2004.

The recall will be conducted in inverse seniority order, and in accordance with Section 21.A.3.e. of the Contract, all will return to the domiciles from which they were furloughed. United will send Notification via FedEx no later than May 12, 2004. Whatever the response, whether it’s to return to work, report a medical issue, or sever employment, it’s very important that Flight Attendants who receive this notification take special care to return the response through certified mail by the deadline listed in the FedEx notification.

* SW is United speak for Flight Attendant

Good to hear. Thankfully, the airlines haven't figured out how to "automate" the flight attendant yet - but I'm sure they're working on it.

What, according to the contract, happens if a furloughed employee fails to respond or is unable to respond to the recall notice? Does the company's obligations to them as to recalls cease?

I would hate to see FAs give up any jobs they may have been able to secure to return to UA, only to get laid off again after the summer travel season is over.

You must return by the date they say or you are no longer a flight attendant with United. If you are attending school, you may finish THIS semester. These recalls are saving United a ton of money (United pays full benefits, medical and dental, on furlough)....this way, they get recalled, quit, and United saves the cash.

wingandprayer it's a permanent recall. So don't just think it's tempo. Unless of course there is another act of terrorism and then we'll all be out of a job.

wingNaPrayer,
AFA's contract with UAL says that UAL must offer voluntary furloughs before any involuntary furlough are forced. So if there needs to be another recall UAL would have to offer voluntary again. I know a lot of F/As who wished they had taken the voluntary furlough when it was offered. I don't doubt UAL would be able to get the numbers they needed if it happened again.

:oops:
sorry- the above should say "if there needs to be another furlough" not "if there needs to be another recall..."

Latest posts