Uplifting News Perhaps?

Apr 4, 2004
Visit site
American expands its world

Flights abroad a faster route to profit than battling discounters

11:42 AM CDT on Saturday, July 24, 2004

By ERIC TORBENSON / The Dallas Morning News

With low-cost carriers handing them their hats, the big traditional airlines are boosting their international routes.

Fort Worth-based American Airlines Inc. has expanded its international capacity nearly 19 percent during the first six months of the year, compared with the same period in 2003.

That's six times the rate that American added seats to its domestic schedule.

"I think our desire would be to continue to look for ways to grow our international presence," said Henry Joyner, senior vice president of planning at American.

"We're not going to grow it at the expense of our domestic operations, but our domestic flying is going to grow a lot slower," he said.

International revenue was the star of American's second-quarter earnings last week, as parent AMR Corp. turned a profit of $6 million.

Each global region showed big gains over last year in average fares, while domestic fares fell slightly. Full-fare passenger traffic rose 129 percent for American's Tokyo routes over the same time last year.

Currently, nearly 69 percent of American's schedule is for domestic flights, and 31 percent is international. (The carrier includes Canada as part of its U.S. schedule.)

American, like most traditional network carriers, faces low-fare competition on eight of every 10 domestic routes it flies.

With higher costs than discounters such as Southwest Airlines Co., American often loses money when it matches a low fare – in many cases taking only $299 for a one-way ticket that once went for more than $1,000.

The situation may get worse for traditional carriers, executives at Delta Air Lines Inc. and Continental Airlines Inc. warned last week when they reported quarterly results.

One reason is that discount airlines are growing faster and ordering new planes. Southwest, JetBlue Airways Corp., AirTran Airways Inc. and their low-cost cohorts are expected to double their fleets within four to five years.

That's good news for passengers, but not so good for the traditional carriers.

An opportunity

So far at least, U.S. discounters have treaded lightly on international routes. Dallas-based Southwest has no plans to expand beyond the continental United States.

Traditional airlines such as American see an opportunity. Although they haven't been able to raise domestic fares in an improving economy, they have had more success doing so on international routes. Industrywide, international revenue rose 9.5 percent in May over the same month last year across seat miles flown. A seat mile is equivalent to one seat flown one mile.

In contrast, domestic revenue per seat flown fell 2.1 percent in the same month.

The international figure presents an easier comparison because many overseas trips were canceled last year over the Iraq war and fears of severe acute respiratory syndrome.

Some wonder whether American will follow the model of its alliance partner, British Airways, in becoming a primarily international carrier.

"The network carriers have far fewer places to hide," said Robert Gordon, an economics professor at Northwestern University, at an April airline conference.

British Airways made a handsome profit of nearly $1 billion in the last 12 months despite stiff low-fare competition from carriers such as Ryanair that sell some tickets for less than $10.

By emphasizing international flights and keeping enough domestic traffic to feed those flights at hubs, financially strapped big carriers could improve their margins, Mr. Gordon said.

Struggling giant airlines such as American might want to think about changing their flight mix to avoid all-out brawls with low-cost carriers on transcontinental routes, said Ray Neidl, an analyst at Blaylock & Partners.

"I've always wondered why they don't do more of that and perhaps try to set up alliances with some of the low-cost guys," he said. "It doesn't make sense for them to keep throwing more capacity at low-cost carriers."

The revenue strength of international flights may help offset the weak domestic market for traditional carriers, Mr. Neidl said.

But American officials say it's unlikely the world's largest carrier will try to look like British Airways.

"I don't think you're going to get to see American transition into a carrier that is predominantly international," Mr. Joyner said.

About 70 percent of American's $14 billion in revenue comes from domestic routes, which the airline relies on to feed into its more lucrative international service.

Emphasis on Asia

The airline has been particularly focused on Asia, if only because the fast-growing region is the smallest part of its global network. American was unexpectedly shut out in the last round of air rights applications to China. The carrier will apply for rights to fly to Shanghai in 2005, and many analysts expect the effort will pay off this time.

"Given its growth in trade and its prospects for the future, China is an area we'll look at aggressively growing our own flying," Mr. Joyner said.

If granted, American's Shanghai service may fly from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Mr. Joyner said.

Chicago's O'Hare International Airport was thought to be American's first choice for flights to Shanghai. But rival United Airlines, which already serves China, is planning Chicago-Shanghai service.

"I think D/FW has a chance," said Joe Lopano, executive vice president of marketing and revenue management at the airport. Shanghai "would be a jewel for us."

American added a second daily flight to Tokyo's Narita International Airport, which shows D/FW has the strength to support Asian routes, Mr. Lopano said. Plus, local traffic through the airport has already exceeded levels before 9-11, he said.

The airline already serves 33 foreign destinations – including cities in Canada – from D/FW and could increase that easily with its gate space in Terminal D, which will open next year.

American should hear from U.S. Department of Transportation officials later this year on whether it can fly to China.

"We think we'll be the best choice," Mr. Joyner said.

The carrier has also added flights to Latin America that have been dropped by competitors, Mr. Joyner said. Its new Buenos Aires service, launched last fall, is "off to a terrific start," he said.

As American and others scout the globe for international routes, they're also spending money on the in-flight service for business- and first-class passengers.

This month, American upgraded amenity kits with spa products. United Airlines made a similar move a week later. American may also invest in new seats to appeal to high-dollar international travelers.

All this contrasts sharply with the airline industry's approach to domestic service, where the free meals that passengers long took for granted have practically disappeared.

"We feel fairly comfortable with our in-flight offerings going forward," Mr. Joyner said of American's international service. "It's an extremely competitive market."

E-mail [email protected]

Rusty - is the 19% increase in international flights due partly to the Stl International that went to the AA people when the TWA people were layed off. (changing the flights from TWA LLC to AA) Or is the 19% increase up and beyond that?

Also can anyone tell me if the additional 19% international flight increase is worked by thel AA f/a's or did foreign nationals get some of the flying?

That was part of AA. We have added flights to new and current Central and South America cities, From NY, Miami, Dallas and Los Angeles. We added 2 new flights to Japan and more caribbean from Fll, BOS, MIA, and JFK.

The FN's dont get all the new flying, just the best. Ater all its hard work selling F/C ice crean and chinaware to the M/C passengers.

As far as I know the ONLY international (if you want to call it that) route that belonged to TWA that we are flying is STL-SJU. TWA buyout was a bad move for AA. WSe are not profiting at the cost of TWA employess or assets but we are paying for it due to bad foresight on the part of Don Carty. I am sorry if this offends the TWA folks but we bought a lemon.

AAStew said:
As far as I know the ONLY international (if you want to call it that) route that belonged to TWA that we are flying is STL-SJU. TWA buyout was a bad move for AA. WSe are not profiting at the cost of TWA employess or assets but we are paying for it due to bad foresight on the part of Don Carty. I am sorry if this offends the TWA folks but we bought a lemon.
lol B)

AAStew said:
Oh yea? Hmmm, no offense but we were bought by a bunch of sour grapes so I guess that makes AA a fruit punch airline. :lol: :down:

twasilverbullet said:
Oh yea? Hmmm, no offense but we were bought by a bunch of sour grapes so I guess that makes AA a fruit punch airline. :lol: :down:
No offense, at least in the AA nAAtive crew rooms you don't see those blue and white signs with a blue painted curb. ;)

LiveInAHotel said:
No offense, at least in the AA nAAtive crew rooms you don't see those blue and white signs with a blue painted curb. ;)
None taken, but it would be wise for you to have them also, don't wait for something to happen to put them up.

Last time I was in one of your crew rooms I and some nAAtive f/a's were almost runned down by one of your native AA'r, she had fallen asleep and had forgotten to put the brakes on before dosing off. I hope she woke up from her deep sleep, did not stay long enough to find out, had a flight to catch. Ciao! ;) :)

latreal said:
Someone told me the reason you try to create problems on this board is because you do not like flight attendants (AA or TWA).

Just curious why you do not have a life?

AAStew said:
Well AA stew - As far as offending me - let's just say - You must be a joy to work with! Hope I don't offend YOU!

My question stemmed around all the flights that we came to AA with. Since I don't fly international I didn't stay up with which ones remain SINCE AA TOOK TWA!

Some were St Louis to the following cities: Maui, Hawaii, Paris, Frankfurt....on and on.

Doubts Emerge About American Airlines' Strength As Fuel Prices Rise, Competitors Push Down Fares

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- After staving off bankruptcy a year ago, American Airlines slashed costs below many of its competitors and its executives talked brightly about returning the largest U.S. carrier to its former glory.

Analysts praised American, which eked out a tiny profit from April to June -- only its second winning quarter in three years of crushing losses. Investors bid the stock price up for a time.

Now, however, fresh doubts emerge about American's ability to regain its strength against the tide of high fuel prices, which have wiped out hope that the carrier might earn a profit this year, and an onslaught of competitors pushing low fares even lower.

More ominously, there is scant evidence that American, a unit of Fort Worth-based AMR Corp., has figured out how to win customers away from other carriers and boost revenue. American now faces competition from low-cost rivals on nearly 90 percent of its routes, frustrating the company's plans to raise fares.

And, some employees are growing restless a year after taking huge pay cuts that helped save the airline.

Flight attendants pepper Internet chat rooms with complaints about being overworked because thousands of colleagues have been laid off. Attendants on long international flights said they were denied meal and rest breaks because crews were understaffed. They filed a complaint through the union, and an arbitrator ruled in their favor -- awarding back pay of $9 million to $14 million, which the airline must pay in October.

Phillip Baggaley, an analyst with Standard & Poor's, says the pace of American's recovery "is disappointing and may be stalling out."

Just a year ago, American was at the breaking point after more than $6 billion in losses caused by the recession, the terror attacks of September 2001, tougher competition from low-cost carriers, and fundamental changes in the way that people buy airline tickets.

The company was on the brink of filing for bankruptcy protection until union employees barely approved a package of painful concessions, including layoffs and double-digit pay cuts that saved American $1.8 billion a year.

With those cuts, the company reduced spending on wages, salaries and benefits by 16 percent through the first six months of 2004.

In early 2003, American had the second highest cost structure in the U.S. airline industry. One year later, American's cost structure was the lowest of the six so-called legacy carriers, the others being United, Delta, Continental, Northwest and US Airways.

American is still not lean compared to low-cost carriers. Southwest Airlines' cost structure is 15 percent lower than American's; JetBlue's is 38 percent lower.

The savings helped AMR cut its first-quarter loss to $166 million from the $1 billion loss a year earlier, and to post a $6 million profit in April-June period. Analysts expect another small profit in the current quarter, which ends Sept. 30.

"American is off the critical list," says CEO Gerard Arpey, who sometimes lugs a small, rectangular sheet of metal with holes in it to employee rallies and meetings with Wall Street analysts to prove that American is committed to cutting bloated costs.

The grill provides the foundation for airplane seats. Until recently, American bought the supports for about $1,000 apiece. Now, employees make them for $157.

Fourteen-dollar Italian blankets offered to customers during flights were replaced with $8 throws from China, and American saved $600,000 on silverware by buying plastic utensils in an Internet auction.

"We can take pride in the progress that all our employees have made. We're a very different company than we were a year ago," he said.

But the other side of the ledger -- revenue -- is more challenging.

American's planes have grown progressively more full over the past year, but competition from low-cost carriers has prevented the airline from raising fares.

"It's a difficult yield environment," Arpey said in a recent interview, using the industry's term for revenue per passenger. "I don't see anything on the horizon that's going to change that."

American is expanding its capacity about 6 percent this year, mostly on international routes. It is operating some planes more often and reinstalling seats that were taken out to make more legroom.

The extra flights and seats contributed to a 9.9 percent increase in second-quarter revenue, even though revenue per seat -- a closely followed measure in the airline industry -- rose only slightly.

The problem with adding capacity, analysts say, is that everyone else is doing the same thing, making it even harder to raise prices. Ray Neidl, an analyst with Blaylock & Partners, says American has shown it can cut costs and now needs to raise more revenue per passenger.

One way to do that, Neidl says, would be to focus on international flights, hubs at Dallas, Chicago and Miami, and routes with a heavy dose of lucrative business travelers, such as New York to Los Angeles -- and leave routes ruled by frugal leisure travelers to the low-cost airlines.

Union leaders say employees have done their part by absorbing layoffs and pay cuts, and now management needs to figure out how to beat the competition.

"All we did is buy some time," said John Darrah, whose term as president of the pilots union ended in July. "If all they do is take our concessions and don't solve the company's other problems -- if they don't figure out how to compete domestically -- the next downturn in the airline industry may be our last."

jsn25911 said:
Someone told me the reason you try to create problems on this board is because you do not like flight attendants (AA or TWA).

Just curious why you do not have a life?
lol, oh well. ;) :ph34r:

(...But the above post had nothing to do with flight attendants, just make up something like...somebody told you I don't like AA. Yeah that sounds better.)

latreal said:
lol, oh well. ;) :ph34r:

(...But the above post had nothing to do with flight attendants, just make up something like...somebody told you I don't like AA. Yeah that sounds better.)
Lateral - what is wrong with you? You have tried to create problems on this board. It is known that you do not like f/a's. You try to get people fighting against people. If you really cared for AA - you would try to get people working together rather than try to cause problems. You get enjoyment out of creating problems - and that says a lot about you.

Rather than having all your post attack - why not add something substantial?

jsn25911 said:
Lateral - what is wrong with you? You have tried to create problems on this board. It is known that you do not like f/a's. You try to get people fighting against people. If you really cared for AA - you would try to get people working together rather than try to cause problems. You get enjoyment out of creating problems - and that says a lot about you.

Rather than having all your post attack - why not add something substantial?
Just So Non-Important.

What is wrong with you? Why does it matter to you waht I post or say? Your post don't matter to me.
Move on with your life since I supposedly don't have one.
Get over it.
I notice hypocrisy and one-sidedness and I call it to attention and will continue to do so.
Don't like it don't respond.

BUT IT WILL NOT STOP!

twasilverbullet said:
:p :D B)
Yep, that's what we are a bunch of fruits!!! Some of us more than others.

JSN, yes we do have all those rights to fly into those cities, but apparently AA felt they weren't profitable enough to keep flying them. Please don't be so angry, I really meant it when I said this wasn't meant to offend anyone, but it really was a bad, awful, debilitating business decision for AA.
And BTW, yes I am a joy to work with, I have a great attitude, I get along with everyone , I like my passengers and appreciate them, and I like what I do! If I left anything out, please feel fre to fill in those compliments in too!
Don't be such a sour apple!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: