UPS Agreement

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
UPS rate of pay as of 11/1/10 =$46.70
AA Rate of pay as of 11/1/10=$32.75

Difference= $13.95/hr

$29,016.00/yr

This isnt the type of difference we should see between two airlines, its the difference we would expect to see between a civilized country and third world one!

Add in what AA Mechs pay for medical and that brings the difference up to around $16.50.

Then tack on LTD and STD, another .50.

Then tack on the Holidays and vacations they get that we dont, at least another $2/hr

UPS mechs are getting around $9/hr more than we are.

That comes out to around $39,000 per year.

AA gets a mechanic and an OSM for what UPS pays a mechanic.

WE ARE TO THE MECHANICS AT UPS WHAT EL SALAVADOR WORKERS ARE TO US WORKERS!!!

UPS obviously realizes that there arent many mechanics out there. Otherwise why would they agree to pay $50/hr when AA and others are only paying $32.75? If there was a supply of mechanics out there it would make economic sense for UPS to split the difference, still paying way more than AA and try to find just 900 scabs.

Remember, despite what the company folks say the smaller the group the easier it is to bust them. Larger groups of workers have more levergae not less. If UPS couldnt take on their mechanics and just sub out their work what makes anyone believe that all of a sudden AA could find enough scabs or quickly outsource their work and keep their operation going? UPS like AA has been bringing more work back in house, just like many other carriers. Outfits like AAR have been having trouble recruiting mechanics and as the carriers are finding that their recall lists are proving to be hollow, most refuse to come back, having found better jobs outside the industry.

We cant keep cowering due to what happened at NWA six years ago. Things have changed, the pendulum has swung. They prepared for what they did at a time when thousands of mechanics had recently lost their jobs, still they had a hard time recruiting enough mechanics to maintain their operations and eventually were bought out by DELTA.The pool is near dry, most who were laid off have permanently left the industry. MROs cant find them, airlines have run through their recall lists and as we see at UPS airlines realize that they have to pay to play.

Reactions: 1 person
UPS rate of pay as of 11/1/10 =$46.70
AA Rate of pay as of 11/1/10=$32.75

Difference= $13.95/hr

$29,016.00/yr

This isnt the type of difference we should see between two airlines, its the difference we would expect to see between a civilized country and third world one!

Add in what AA Mechs pay for medical and that brings the difference up to around $16.50.

Then tack on LTD and STD, another .50.

Then tack on the Holidays and vacations they get that we dont, at least another $2/hr

UPS mechs are getting around $9/hr more than we are.

That comes out to around $39,000 per year.
right now i'm not so worried about catching ups.....it's about getting everything we lost from 2003 to 2008 + full retro back to 2003 + decreases in medical going forward + 3% for 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 =12%
Can you at least get that for us, Bob!

UPS will be at $50 an hour in 2013.

Will we even have a contract by then?

Whats the solution Bob, for AA mechanics to make $50 an hour?

UPS will be at $50 an hour in 2013.

Will we even have a contract by then?

AA will not pay our Tulsa MRO base mechanics $50 an hour?

Whats the solution Bob, for AA mechanics to make $50 an hour?

We arent asking for anything near there but I'm guessing our Retro will likely be comparable but I cant win it for you. We all have to do it. I doubt the company will hand it over without a fight.

Strike, get ready, if you want something you have to fight for it. If the company feels you dont have the nads then they will hold out, if they know that you will then they really dont have a choice.

I dont care that UPS is cargo, do UPS pilots earn 50% more than AA pilots? Does UPS pay 50% more for fuel? Does UPS pay 50% more for landing fees? Why should AA enjoy a 50% discount of A&P labor?

I wonder when the pro-company ilks will post if we want UPS wages, then we have to have their work rules..
They shouldve posted already!

I wonder when the pro-company ilks will post if we want UPS wages, then we have to have their work rules..
I anticipate their arguement will be that UPS only has 900 mechanics and they sub out most of their work. However if you look at UPS fleet makup then you can see that due to the fact that they have so many fleet types (5 vs AA's 4 with triple the number of aircraft) then its easy to see why UPS will continue to sub out most of their OH. When we had only 2 747 SPs we subbed out nearly all the work, except for PS checks as well and that was at a time when most carriers did most of their work in house. Lacking the volume of work outsourcing makes sense, it has absolutely nothing to do with mechanics pay.

UPS has just 214 aircraft, while AA has over 600.
214/5=43 aircraft per type
600/4=150 aircraft per type

With a larger average of similar fleet types it still makes it cost effective to do some of the smaller fleets because the costs can be averaged over the much larger fleet, but if all your fleets are on the small side its harder to justify maintaining a large OH base. SWA contradicts this but I suspect that because SWA has such a huge singular fleet they can pretty much name their price for OH. Their long term presence in that market probably gets them better prices as well. If AA went with the same equipment to the very same vendors they would likely get offered a much higher price, why, because they can. They can soak AA or some other carrier because they know they have the SWA work to pay the bills and the rest is extra so why not charge as much as they can?

Years ago (around the time of the concessions) I posted that you should replace the TWU with the IBT. Once again, the IBT appears to have come through for its members and it looks like I was right. You guys should have replaced the TWU with the IBT in 2003 instead of wasting time on AMFA. Oh well, hindsight is 20-20.

Work Rules? How about looking at the scope of the UPS maintenance operation compared to AA? How many mechanics does UPS employ to maintain its 217 planes? About 1,000 or so and none of them perform heavy C checks. AA's mainline fleet is three times larger yet AA employs more than nine times as many maintenance professionals. Wonder how much AA would be willing to pay about 3,000 line mechanics if Tulsa and AFW didn't exist and every plane went overseas or to SAL for its heavy checks?

I dont care that UPS is cargo, do UPS pilots earn 50% more than AA pilots? Does UPS pay 50% more for fuel? Does UPS pay 50% more for landing fees? Why should AA enjoy a 50% discount of A&P labor?

Actually, UPS pilots do earn at least 50% more than AA's pilots. Every UPS captain currently gets $252/hr and the blended average hourly rate of AA captains is about $170/hr. Same differential with FOs.

Fuel, landing fees - no, AA and UPS pay the same.

Doesnt UPS vendor out their Heavy? I know Dee Howard, now Singapore Technologies does their work.

Years ago (around the time of the concessions) I posted that you should replace the TWU with the IBT. Once again, the IBT appears to have come through for its members and it looks like I was right. You guys should have replaced the TWU with the IBT in 2003 instead of wasting time on AMFA. Oh well, hindsight is 20-20.

Work Rules? How about looking at the scope of the UPS maintenance operation compared to AA? How many mechanics does UPS employ to maintain its 217 planes? About 1,000 or so and none of them perform heavy C checks. AA's mainline fleet is three times larger yet AA employs more than nine times as many maintenance professionals. Wonder how much AA would be willing to pay about 3,000 line mechanics if Tulsa and AFW didn't exist and every plane went overseas or to SAL for its heavy checks?
Guess you havent seen their handy work that they just screwed the CO Rampers. They were voted out at WN, and the mechanics at UA are fed up with them.

We arent asking for anything near there but I'm guessing our Retro will likely be comparable but I cant win it for you. We all have to do it. I doubt the company will hand it over without a fight.

Strike, get ready, if you want something you have to fight for it. If the company feels you dont have the nads then they will hold out, if they know that you will then they really dont have a choice.

Bob is absolutely correct. If the company feels that we will not resist, withold labor, or chaos when we will be legally able to, then they will not take you as a serious entity or a threat and offer what they think is appropiate. Right now the company is not afraid of the TWU as a whole. Is your president talking the talking and walking the walk or sitting back watching the world go by? Get back to me on that one!

Bob is absolutely correct. If the company feels that we will not resist, withold labor, or chaos when we will be legally able to, then they will not take you as a serious entity or a threat and offer what they think is appropiate. Right now the company is not afraid of the TWU as a whole. Is your president talking the talking and walking the walk or sitting back watching the world go by? Get back to me on that one!
Chuck,
Most of us on this board understand what Bob is saying. His message needs to be passed down the chain of command to the floor, via all local memberships.