US 22 PHX-HNL diverts to ITO

This had to be scary for everyone..

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/...9326054817.html

A.nutters say it was N908.. how old is that bird? And why does it have a history of breakin down in the Islands?

From the article:

Engine trouble diverts Vegas-to-Honolulu flight to Hilo

Advertiser Staff

An America West Boeing 757 flight from Las Vegas to Honolulu was diverted to Hilo this weekend when one of its two engines shut down after experiencing vibrations.
The flight landed in Hilo at 8:51 p.m. without incident, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said. The FAA is investigating the incident, Gregor said.

"Manufacturers have shown that their aircraft can fly long distances on one engine," Gregor said. "That's why we let them do it."

The flight was PHX-HNL. The aircraft was 100NM West of HTO (Hilo, Hawaii) when it happened (and technically outside of ETOPS airspace). Safe, uneventful landing at approx 0745PM Most pax were immediately put on Go! and Hawaiian flights out of HTO while others were transported to the Kona airport to catch flights to HNL.

Interesting side note: Captain is a relatively recent upgrade to the 757 and is in his late 30s. F/O is a former commuter pilot in his very early thirties. Both are reserve pilots and were called out 2 hours prior to the flight. I guess these snot-nosed, inexperienced, couldn't get hired anywhere else, can't believe they let 'em fly jets losers were just plain lucky they survived.

Why doesn't America West oh excuse me USairways just wait until one of the 757's drops into the ocean before they really fix the hawaiian operation. I bet the HP side is holding on to ETOPS by a thread. The operation is horrible and a hazzard. Do we even have a day that the hawaiian flights ALL operate and on time? This company as a whole is a joke. I hope they fix these problems before we harm our employees and passengers. FOOLS ! ! ! ! :rolleyes:

The flight was PHX-HNL. The aircraft was 100NM West of HTO (Hilo, Hawaii) when it happened (and technically outside of ETOPS airspace). Safe, uneventful landing at approx 0745PM Most pax were immediately put on Go! and Hawaiian flights out of HTO while others were transported to the Kona airport to catch flights to HNL.

Interesting side note: Captain is a relatively recent upgrade to the 757 and is in his late 30s. F/O is a former commuter pilot in his very early thirties. Both are reserve pilots and were called out 2 hours prior to the flight. I guess these snot-nosed, inexperienced, couldn't get hired anywhere else, can't believe they let 'em fly jets losers were just plain lucky they survived.

SERIOUSLY? You are kidding about being "lucky" right? Yes, we'd all love to fly with the most experienced pilots in the world, but it sounds like these folks did what they should have and got the bird on the ground safely. I highly doubt that either of them personally did any maintenance on the aircraft - so what gives?

Just becuase you may be nearing mandatory retirement doesn't mean that you have the right to diss the newer folks - courtesy could might do you a world of good!

"Technically outside of ETOPS airspace" doesn't cut it. If it is an ETOPS aircraft and it has an engine shutdown, whether it's PHX-LAS or PHX-HNL, it counts against your maintenance reliability.

Mtnman

"Technically outside of ETOPS airspace" doesn't cut it. If it is an ETOPS aircraft and it has an engine shutdown, whether it's PHX-LAS or PHX-HNL, it counts against your maintenance reliability.

Mtnman

You are correct. In addition, the diversion on an ETOPS flight is an ETOPS diversion, period. Doesn't matter what airspace the aircraft was in when the aircraft diverted.

"Captain Zitface," bless his heart, is so knowledgable that he doesn't even understand the basic terminology involved. There is no "ETOPS airspace." ETOPS refers to the performance standards involved in the operation. The airspace involved is known as "Oceanic Airspace."

Not surprising that Captain Zitface would be so excited about a single engine landing, which is always handled without difficulty by crews. It is a bit surprising, though, that he hasn't asked if the crew ensured they were not "overweight" for the landing. You will recall that the AWA contingent on this board recently attempted to portray the insane decison to go into holding, on one engine, to burn down to "max landing weight" (in Louisville) as rational and proper. :down:

Hey "Captain," on your next V1 cut in the simulator, rather than request vectors back around for an ILS, why don't you tell your instuctor that holding down to max landing wt. is the best way to handle the situation. They'll laugh you out of the building - hopefully permanently. :lol:

Niiiiiiiiice..... :rolleyes: Bet you're a blast to fly with! :up:
Apparently you see it as something different sweet cheeks. I call it as I see it. The ETOPS operation over there in wonderland is HORRIBLE. NOT a secret. Check into it and see what I'm talking about. The planes are crap and falling apart. Kirby himself admits that they are just about at the end of their cycles. Yet we keep pushing and pushing and pushing these old birds. The potential for something to happen isnt' there? Don't pick out some little bit of what I posted UmmmmmK. :rolleyes: I bet your a real trip to fly with as well. You need to freakin wake up. first you attacked me about inflight issues months back and now. Aren't you flying today?

Er, if the aircraft was 100nm "west" of ITO (not HTO, though it is PHTO for ICAO), it ought to have diverted to KOA or OGG.

The drive from Hilo to KOA is at least two hours, which means they were stuck overnight. And I doubt that they had time to get passengers rebooked and luggage on the last HA ITO-HNL flight which departs ITO at 2030. And a Go! CRJ isn't going to take a full 757.

I guess these snot-nosed, inexperienced, couldn't get hired anywhere else, can't believe they let 'em fly jets losers were just plain lucky they survived.
[/quote]

Why....is the auto pilot button harder to push if you are snot-nosed, inexperienced, and couldn't get hired anywhere else?

Not surprising that Captain Zitface would be so excited about a single engine landing, which is always handled without difficulty by crews. It is a bit surprising, though, that he hasn't asked if the crew ensured they were not "overweight" for the landing.

They weren't overweight. Sorry, didn't know I had to report the full conversation to you. I will post the complete transcripts of my conversation with the crew as soon as my secretary gets done typing them up.

Hey "Captain," on your next V1 cut in the simulator, rather than request vectors back around for an ILS, why don't you tell your instuctor that holding down to max landing wt. is the best way to handle the situation. They'll laugh you out of the building - hopefully permanently. :lol:

Boy, I've had enough real-life emergencies in a variety of heavy airliners to know when to do what. I've landed overweight in a 757, held for 4 hours while burning down to max landing weight in a 747 and dumped fuel for 15 minutes off the coast of Miami in a DC-8. Last time I checked I had 9 in-flight engine failures / shutdowns and a variety of other system emergencies all over the world (None at AWA, but life at the freighters can be exciting) So go back to your Microsoft Flight Simulator and leave the flying to those who've been there, done that.

Er, if the aircraft was 100nm "west" of ITO (not HTO, though it is PHTO for ICAO), it ought to have diverted to KOA or OGG.

Oops, typo. Correction: The aircraft was approximately 100 miles east of the Hilo, Hawaii (PHTO / ITO) airport. Is that better? However, if you had actually flown the route once or twice, you would have known that at that distance both the ACARS and Cactusnet are fully functionable. The decision to divert to PHTO (ITO) was made after consulting with MOC.

The drive from Hilo to KOA is at least two hours, which means they were stuck overnight. And I doubt that they had time to get passengers rebooked and luggage on the last HA ITO-HNL flight which departs ITO at 2030. And a Go! CRJ isn't going to take a full 757.

It's closer to three hours. And I never said all pax made it out of PHTO (ITO) that night. Only that accommodations were made immediately after landing.