US 750 (PHL-BRU) Today

SS255

Veteran
Aug 10, 2004
LAX via AVP
www.amandafoundation.com
My parents are on this flight. They were at the gate, waiting to board, when the crew came out of the jetway. Moments later, the GA announced a gate change and an aircraft swap (downgraded from a 767 to a 757), due to maintenance. Passengers were told to check in at the new gate, since the flight was oversold as it was, and even more people would get IDB'd.

My father made a beeline to the Envoy lounge. He and my mother are both in Envoy (on CP certs), and they did not get downgraded (presumably due to the fact that they are both CP's), but their seats did get changed. Now they are scheduled to depart at 7:59PM (almost 2 hours late), but since they have (or, rather, had) a 4-hour layover in BRU, they should still make their connection.

While I applaud US for a good recovery instead of canceling the flight, I could not help but wonder if this is the same 767 which has been plagued with mechanical problems. As I was reading the previous accounts of the 767 with the gremlins, I was praying that it would not be the same aircraft which my parents were supposed to have been on tonight. I have no way of finding the aircraft # of the aborted 767, so I am hoping that one of you fine folks with access to inside information can do some sleuthing for me, and let me know if this is the same aircraft, or if the mechanical issue is unrelated.

Thanks.

My parents are on this flight. They were at the gate, waiting to board, when the crew came out of the jetway. Moments later, the GA announced a gate change and an aircraft swap (downgraded from a 767 to a 757), due to maintenance. Passengers were told to check in at the new gate, since the flight was oversold as it was, and even more people would get IDB'd.

My father made a beeline to the Envoy lounge. He and my mother are both in Envoy (on CP certs), and they did not get downgraded (presumably due to the fact that they are both CP's), but their seats did get changed. Now they are scheduled to depart at 7:59PM (almost 2 hours late), but since they have (or, rather, had) a 4-hour layover in BRU, they should still make their connection.

While I applaud US for a good recovery instead of canceling the flight, I could not help but wonder if this is the same 767 which has been plagued with mechanical problems. As I was reading the previous accounts of the 767 with the gremlins, I was praying that it would not be the same aircraft which my parents were supposed to have been on tonight. I have no way of finding the aircraft # of the aborted 767, so I am hoping that one of you fine folks with access to inside information can do some sleuthing for me, and let me know if this is the same aircraft, or if the mechanical issue is unrelated.

Thanks.
Crappy maintenance policy is really hard to overcome by the individual line maintenance person.

so I am hoping that one of you fine folks with access to inside information can do some sleuthing for me, and let me know if this is the same aircraft, or if the mechanical issue is unrelated.

Thanks.

It used to be that that info was only available at work (and no one would be posting using the company computers, right?), but it may have changed.

Jim

Thanks.

Just FYI, as I reached the gate area for my flight to Europe on Friday, the agent at the gate next door was announcing the same situation, an aircraft downsizing on another European flight. It is getting to be a a reoccuring problem.......and not being created by the pilot union.

Just FYI, as I reached the gate area for my flight to Europe on Friday, the agent at the gate next door was announcing the same situation, an aircraft downsizing on another European flight. It is getting to be a a reoccuring problem.......and not being created by the pilot union.

It turns out that the flight departed 2:40 late (and is scheduled to arrive 2:00 late). The gate area was a disaster as the agent tried to deal with all of the IDB's. My father kept calling me to give me status updates. At one point they stopped the boarding altogether. (I don't know why.) They re-started it about 15 minutes later. While we were on the phone, I heard an announcement "Will customer _________ going to Tanzania please ring your call bell."

Better than an outright cancellation, but I would not have wanted to be that GA working that flight. I'd be very curious to know what the problem was that caused the aircraft swap.

Never a dull moment at US Airways.

Reactions: 1 person

Thanks.
Was "Captain" Valerie Wells at the controls? Perhaps the 3 green gear lights at the gate threw her into a "safety" rage? Perhaps another 200k in Union Dues to USA Today will do the trick.

Reactions: 4 people

Thanks.
It happens fairly often. It happened 2 times in one evening last month. 767 sched for the flight with an estimated time of repair of 6 pm., bumped, to 10 pm. and then bumped to 5 am then downsized to 757 and after preflighting and loading the route a mech comes to the flighdeck to say that he told occ the airplane was not going anywhere but nobody bothered to tell the crew. Finally left 2 hrs late.

Bob

The OP asked a legitimate question. Why does this have to become another East/West hate fest? If you have nothing informative to contribute toward asking his or her question why not keep your trashing of each other to any of the other 4 or 5 threads created specifically for that purpose?

I respect the fact that the East/West dispute is serious and that both sides have issues with it, but I don't see how polluting every thread which asks a valid question helps your cause? You guys and gals on either side are doing yourselves and your profession a disservice by showing how immature and hateful you can be--which raises the question as to if or how you will be able to work together once this is settled (if it ever is).

Nothing you do or say on this board is going to have an effect on the outcome, so please--keep your trashing of each other to the threads already existing for that purpose....now does ANYONE have an answer for the original question?

Reactions: 2 people
Why does this have to become another East/West hate fest?

When people like "Luvin737" post completely unsubstantiated BS constantly that is why!

Crappy maintenance policy is really hard to overcome by the individual line maintenance person.

No matter what the story or topic you can bet 100% someone from the East will come on and spew crap about horrible x,y,z which are usually completely false and fantasy based on their deranged emotional state!

This entire website is nothing more than a east beotch fest and circle jerk and their lack of anyone posting on any other airline boards proves it. If the mods where serious about this being a viable aviation discussion board they would have put an end to this years ago!

Reactions: 3 people
When people like "Luvin737" post completely unsubstantiated BS constantly that is why!

No matter what the story or topic you can bet 100% someone from the East will come on and spew crap about horrible x,y,z which are usually completely false and fantasy based on their deranged emotional state!

This entire website is nothing more than a east beotch fest and circle jerk and their lack of anyone posting on any other airline boards proves it. If the mods where serious about this being a viable aviation discussion board they would have put an end to this years ago!
Yet you continue to post and you spread the BS just like everyone else, you criticize every adult who is a union member and supporter.

You know what they say about people who live in a glass house right?

Reactions: 1 person