US 803 PHL-CUN Diverted back to PHL - wonder why?

sbtinme

Aug 6, 2007
flightaware US 803 today

Curious what would've happened to cause this 757 to get off the coast of SC (practically a stone's throw from CLT) and then return all the way back to PHL? Total of 2h32m in flight only to be right back in PHL.

Any insights? I'm just trying to think of a justification for returning all the way to PHL instead of CLT for any number of reasons. :huh:

Dang. I was typing too fast and now I can't change the title. Of course I meant CUN!

Sorry

Looks like they replaced it with an A321 so maybe PHL was where they could get one sooner...

Jim

Looks like they replaced it with an A321 so maybe PHL was where they could get one sooner...

Jim

I thought of that, but look at the replacement flight on that A321 -- it left PHL 6 hours later than the initial flight and a full 3.5 hours after the first flight returned to PHL.

These CUN flights sub out with some frequency to 320s, 757s, 321s. Just wouldn't have guessed there would have been a need to go all the way back to PHL only to have to wait 3.5 additional hours for that "available" a/c.

It did take awhile, no doubt. I don't know if all the A321's are extended overwater equipped plus they do fly a lot of the trans-con. Maybe it came from maintenance or whatever. Or there could be another reason for the return to PHL.

Jim

It did take awhile, no doubt. I don't know if all the A321's are extended overwater equipped plus they do fly a lot of the trans-con. Maybe it came from maintenance or whatever. Or there could be another reason for the return to PHL.

Jim

Sounds like a normal day in PHL. Just possibly they thought they might be able to have the 757 fixed for a later Transatlantic flight if they got it back to PHL.

Merry Christmas,

Bob

Jim
No 321s are equipped for WATRS airspace, much less ETOPS operations. No rafts or HF radios. Major FAA fine against the tempe fools for trying, validated why many pilots refused to fly PHL-SJU-PHL without an IRO, several years ago.

Too many idiots in high places trying to fellate the CEO. Goes with the tempe territory.

Reactions: 2 people
Has anyone checked out this am phl sju flight. 75 subbed to 332, flight took off 4 hrs late return to phl, re subbed to 76, enroute now almost 11 hrs late!. Hey, same day service though!

Weather in CLT was horrible and there were ground stops all morning yesterday.

No 321s are equipped for WATRS airspace, much less ETOPS operations. No rafts or HF radios. Major FAA fine against the tempe fools for trying, validated why many pilots refused to fly PHL-SJU-PHL without an IRO, several years ago.

Too many idiots in high places trying to fellate the CEO. Goes with the tempe territory.

You don't have to go in WATRS airspace to fly to SJU.

You don't have to go in WATRS airspace to fly to SJU.

True, but if you don't go into WATRS airspace from PHL, that makes the trip much longer, thus requiring an IRO to do a turn... I think that's what he was getting at...

Don't know why clubbie brought up WATRS airspace. A PHL-CUN flight was the subject until the day after his post. The most that would be required is EOW equipment if even that is required. Heck, the 737's used to fly CLT-CUN which uses the same routing across the Gulf.

Jim