US/AA applies to serve BDA from CLT and MCO.

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
I find this interesting as US has served BDA from CLT in the past, but not MCO.

In the filing they ask the DOT to be able to use either PMUS or PMAA planes, not just one or the other.

Incorrect 700   USAirways DID fly MCO-BDA Non-Stop  back in 2009

INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT FLIGHTS FROM HAMILTON TO ORLANDO (BDA TO MCO)

• The largest aircraft servicing flights between Hamilton and Orlando from Air Greenland is the B737-8 built by Boeing with 173 seats.
  • US Airways offers flights from Hamilton, Bermuda to Orlando, FL.
  • The smallest aircraft servicing flights from BDA to MCO for US Airways is the A319 built by Airbus Industrie with 124 seats.
  • The newest aircraft servicing BDA to MCO in 2009 was Air Greenland's B737-8 from Boeing. The B737-8 started flying in 1998.
  • There were 1,118 passengers that flew from Hamilton to Orlando in 2009.
  • Air Greenland operated flights from BDA to MCO using one type of aircraft in 2009.
  • US Airways carried a total of 1,118 passengers from BDA to MCO in 2009.
  • The oldest aircraft servicing trips from Hamilton, Bermuda to Orlando, FL in 2009 was US Airways' A319 from Airbus Industrie which started flying in 1997.
  • In 2009, there was just one airline company serving flights from Hamilton to Orlando.
  • The average aircraft occupancy on flights from Hamilton to Orlando in 2009 was 64.82%.
  • 1,785 seats were available on flights from BDA to MCO in 2009. Of those seats, a total of 1,118 passengers flew on all flights from BDA to MCO that year.

Lets not let the facts get in your way.....

Reactions: 9 people
Hope777 said:

• The largest aircraft servicing flights between Hamilton and Orlando from Air Greenland is the B737-8 built by Boeing with 173 seats.
  • US Airways offers flights from Hamilton, Bermuda to Orlando, FL.
  • The smallest aircraft servicing flights from BDA to MCO for US Airways is the A319 built by Airbus Industrie with 124 seats.
  • The newest aircraft servicing BDA to MCO in 2009 was Air Greenland's B737-8 from Boeing. The B737-8 started flying in 1998.
  • There were 1,118 passengers that flew from Hamilton to Orlando in 2009.
  • Air Greenland operated flights from BDA to MCO using one type of aircraft in 2009.
  • US Airways carried a total of 1,118 passengers from BDA to MCO in 2009.
  • The oldest aircraft servicing trips from Hamilton, Bermuda to Orlando, FL in 2009 was US Airways' A319 from Airbus Industrie which started flying in 1997.
  • In 2009, there was just one airline company serving flights from Hamilton to Orlando.
  • The average aircraft occupancy on flights from Hamilton to Orlando in 2009 was 64.82%.
  • 1,785 seats were available on flights from BDA to MCO in 2009. Of those seats, a total of 1,118 passengers flew on all flights from BDA to MCO that year.

Lets not let the facts get in your way.....

They had 1,785 seats available in all of 2009?  That's 15 flights...for all of 2009?

And 1,118 passengers amounts to less than 100 people per month.  No wonder they dropped the service.

Somehow I think something is missing from the statistics.  Maybe this was weekly?  Otherwise it makes no sense.

Reactions: 1 person
Hope777 said:

•  
  •  
Air Greenland???

GL Operates the A330 and formerly operated the 757-200, 
GL had a short lived SFJ-BWI operation a few years ago.
GL has never flown to MCO or BDA, to my knowledge.

Did someone confuse Greenland with Iceland?

I do agree the numbers I posted dont add up.  It was more to show 700 that US indeed flew the route previously.  I cut and pasted and article I found online.  I cut off the bottom showing where the stats came from..  (Source: FAA & BTS 2009 Databases)   Either way its nice to see a little expansion even if seasonal

Hope777 said:
I do agree the numbers I posted dont add up.  It was more to show 700 that US indeed flew the route previously.  I cut and pasted and article I found online.  I cut off the bottom showing where the stats came from..  (Source: FAA & BTS 2009 Databases)   Either way its nice to see a little expansion even if seasonal

Yes, I know and I am delighted that you have shown 700 that he does not have all the answers, even if he thinks so.  A while back I had to similary prove that Rome service started much sooner than he maintained, and was done with a 767, and not an A330 as he insisted.

I agree that added service to BDA is a great idea.  Years ago, we served BDA with nearly full airplanes everyday from LGA.  Then , BDA had a bad hurricane come through and the route was "suspended" by the company while BDA recovered.  Bermuda being Bermuda, they recovered VERY quickly and the airport was back up to speed in weeks.   Of course, LGA-BDA never again saw the light of day at US, which has been typical.  No doubt, they kept the slot alive with a Dash 8 to somewhere no one wanted to go.

Similar things occurred with MSY after Katrina.  LGA-MSY did very well every day.  The service never returned after Katrina.  US was the last carrier to restart ANY MSY service after the hurricane, weeks after the airport opened and other carriers were back up to speed.

US has had many mantras over the years, one being: "Day late...dollar short."

Reactions: 2 people
I may be wrong, but aren't these filings somewhat perfunctory paperwork?    On routes where US Airways currently holds authorities, those authorities don't automatically transfer to American Airlines, and thus the airlines have to petition the DOT to essentially change the name on the authorities.   As the filing notes, initially,  AA intends to codeshare on the CLT-BDA route but wants the option to use AA metal as well.   Same with the reverse - for US Airways to codeshare on some AA routes (prior to combining the airlines),  US has to ask permission.   Lots of dotting of "is" and crossing of "ts" but not a whole lot of substantive changes.   

What's there to do in Hamilton?  Where is Hamilton?  Why is Hamilton station identifier BDA?  

that is true, FWAAA, but since these are potential growth routes, it does matter.

BDA long has been a much more exclusive island than many parts of the Caribbean, it is heavily British influenced, but it is also quite a bit north so it is not near the year round destination that many Caribbean destinations are - but that also makes it cooler in the summer.

Fares are generally high in the summer, esp. if the route is flown on a less than daily basis.

The filing says that AA is looking for routes that can be used to increase revenue even on a seasonal, day of week basis which is precisely what other carriers have successfully done to not only remove capacity from business markets on off-peak days of the week but also cater to leisure markets when the chances of filling planes at good fares are strong.