Us Air Outlines Case For Additional Concessions

PITbull said:
I know I surely wouldn't want to apply with a company that sees no value in the above.
Hmmm... interesting...

And yet, based on your postings about Dave & Dave, you seem to be stuck in a terrible job with a management that "sees no value in the above."

I'm sorry you're so miserable.

Bear,

I personally am not "stuck" anywhere. If you knew me, you would know why I stay. But, you don't.

I will try to keep this above "bar", for ya.

You have a pretty low opinion of yourself first off and what you do for a living. What you need to do is surround yourself with folks that value themsleves and their abilities.

I can tell you first hand that I am not just a flight attendant. If you have been following the posts here, I have a Bachelor's degree in Nursing from the University of Pittsburgh, and a Business degree from Robert Morris University. I have been working two jobs since 1992. Presently, I do H&Ps on weekends for a home care agency which pays $40 per hour. I can work as much or as little as I want. I also liaison for one physician who gives referrals to this agency I work for.

I could participate in their medical coverage if I were full time. Their contributions is 12% what our option #2 is at U. At U, we pay 22% of the company's premium for our option #3.

This Agency has a 401K with 25% match for the first 10% pretax deduction. I tried to get a link on employment, but I can only access their services. First year of service completed is 10 days vacation, with sick day accruals starting after the first 90 days of full time employment. Their sick day is worth 8 hours vs. ours here at U worth 4:30 depending on your option and your slipping days together.'

In my Pittsburgh area, with just a little education in the medical field, will give you a job that provides for a livable wage. UPMC Health Care Services is the largest employer of Pittsburgh. Their corporation owns 5 of the biggest hospitals in Pittsburgh and surround areas including 3 suburban hospitals. They also have MRI clinics and small medical clinics in the surrounding area. they even provide continuing education linked to the University of Pittsburgh in Oakland, PA. They will also will contribute to education in certain fields, if you sign a contract that you will work for them for two years after completion.

That is just one example in my area.

PS: U has approx. 5,200 f/as out on either VF or Invol furlough. approx 2,100 are Invol. U had offered jobs at MAA and sent approx 1,000 letters to furloghees. They had a very difficult time filling 4 months worth of classes. I believe they haven't filled all of them in this first round. Soon, they will be through all the furloughees and have to go to the street. We had recently too many people that signed up for the Voluntary furlough #8. U only filled 200 applications. As the "bar" lowers, it only gets less appealing.

So, what's your theory again on the employment of a f/a still being the greatest job there is of late as our management strives to "lower the bar"?

PITbull said:
So, what's your theory again on the employment of a f/a still being the greatest job there is of late as our management strives to "lower the bar"?
Huh? Sorry but you'll have to translate that last bit.

Anyway, I am glad you are so well-qualified and have so many job opportunities. You would probably be surprised to know my education and background too.

You are still not answering my question though:

If you are saying all F/As are so well qualified, and there are so many job opportunities out there, why are you getting into such a tizzy about furloughs, concessions, and job security? Based on your postings, things sound pretty miserable at U. So why are you (and others) putting yourself through the hell it must be to work there? It hardly seems worth it, especially since you can walk out the door and get another great-paying job tomorrow.

I think we agree on this: as the bar lowers, it will be harder for airlines to attract good people. The problem is, you have people willing to work for almost nothing just for the "glamour" of being in the airline industry. And management knows this.