Us Air Sees Pilots’ Opening Offer

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Air Sees Pilots’ Opening Offer as Positive First Step

ARLINGTON (Aviation Daily) - US Airways is making progress in concession negotiations with unions representing its pilots and ticket agents, with pilots making an opening offer of a 12.5% pay cut and productivity improvements. The Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) would not put a value on its proposal, which is believed to be much less than the $295 million the airline says it needs from pilots. ALPA spokesman Jack Stephan emphasized the proposal in an opening offer at the beginning of the negotiations. The offer covers only the pay rate cut and a relaxation of work restrictions, Stephan said, with other areas of the contract still to be considered. The maximum flight hour cap would be lifted from 85 to 90 hours.

US Airways is "encouraged by the pilots offer," spokesman David Castelveter said. The fact that the pilots and the airline have begun a concession negotiation process is a very positive sign, he said. The Communications Workers of America (CWA) union, representing passenger service employees, met with airline officials last week. The airline explained it needed to cut costs for this group by about $122 million in order to bring it to the same level of airlines such as JetBlue and America West. The union said the pay cuts the airline is asking for are too much. Instead, it proposes to reduce average seniority through a buyout plan, and a work-from-home plan for some employees.

If the CWA employees agree to work for $13.00 an hr, down from $20.00 an hr, that is a 35% pay cut for us. Since 27 years seniority only affords you part time status now. That breaks down to $260.00 a week for me. If this is what the CWA gets to vote on, I can assure you that it will be voted down. Unemployment will pay me $405.00 a week. Hate to be negative, but the facts are the facts. How could the company expect us to take a triple % pay cut more than the pilots????

How could the company expect us to take a triple % pay cut more than the pilots????

I hate to be negtive, but the short and nasty answer to that question is "the company really doesn't care."

As long as this company's management doesn't care, as long as they treat employees as liabilities, employees are going to be liabilities.

I could say "'Lo, how the mighty have fallen." It was only 5 yrs ago, while I was in MCI following Holly Hegeman's PlaneBusiness Board, that many, many USAirways pilots (and others) crowed about low-paid WN employees and the flying bus and how Metrojet was going to harm WN and how the operational problems inherent at BWI were going to destroy WN's record of profitability.

But I won't go that route. What I really am is an ousider looking in, one who can provide you a different perspective from time to time. And here it is....I have said itbefore, but it bears repeating.

This company is not in seriously deep doo-doo because of wages. It has an effect, sure, but the overarching problem is the corporate culture and company structure. Until such time as the management wakes up, smells the coffee, does something substantive to repair the aura of mistrust between them and the employees, and starts to move in the right direction where company structure is concerned, the outfit is doomed. Even if employees worked for free. Which might be their next plan, now that I think about it.

Why does management not at least listen to the IAM suggestions for saving money or generating revenue? I suppose the answer is that management is smarter than everyone else. If they are so smart, why is the company in this mess?

I have said it before but it always bears repeating. Until such time as the managers stop managing and start to lead, no progress will be made at all. None.

How should they start? Announcing some SERIOUS concessions from management would be a good start. Implementing change within the structure of the company without waiting on employees to bend over again would be another.

I don't think it will happen, but it will be nice if it does.

Perhaps the real reason, Management is NOT opting for any kind of concessions on their part, is because they KNOW the end is near and they are going to make/keep any bucks they can while our doors are still open. If they seriously thought U was going to be a viable, productive, progressive money making deal and they felt confident in their plans for our future.....they would probably consider some concessions on their part.

I don't believe for one moment they are serius about this company or the employees. What they are asking is a complete joke from the employees of U. They know this. WE know this. The Dave fiasco proved this to me. :angry:

ktflyhome said:
Perhaps the real reason, Management is NOT opting for any kind of concessions on their part, is because they KNOW the end is near and they are going to make/keep any bucks they can while our doors are still open.
Sort of like their own version of "full pay to the last day"...................