US Airways ALPA MEC Chairman’s Message

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways ALPA MEC Chairman’s Message - May 19, 2007

This is MEC Chairman Jack Stephan with a Chairman's message to the pilots for Saturday, May 19th.

This past week Communications and other union volunteers have worked in supporting the grassroots efforts of our pilots in response to the inequities of the Nicolau award. The Pilot to Pilot initiative along with the call center have been working in assisting the pilots in all their efforts. The MEC has also convened twice this past week through conference call meetings. We have received reports from the Merger Committee on the presentation we will provide to the Executive Council this Monday.

Many of you have expressed a strong desire to attend our presentation to the Council. We have made arrangements to provide transportation to and from the ALPA Herndon Office. Council 41 is also providing round trip bus transportation from PHL to Herndon that day. The MEC will be in session on Monday morning at 10:00 a.m. at the ALPA Herndon office. We will recess for the presentation then reconvene providing you with a chance to ask questions of the Merger Committee as well as members of the MEC. We have made arrangements with the National Officers to have the presentation broadcasted to a larger room in Herndon that can accommodate more pilots. We have also asked that additional personnel be available to assist in checking pilots into the building. After the Merger Committee has made their presentation, we will post that information on the pilots only website.

It is important that you know that your MEC is singularly focused on righting the wrong of the Nicolau award. We fully understand the magnitude of the career destruction it would bring. I along with your representatives have spent considerable time communicating our issues to the Executive Council members. I tell them that this is not just a matter of the AAA pilots not getting what we wanted. This is a case of a total disregard of many tenets of our Merger Policy. I also remind them that it is their responsibility to uphold our policies. Many of you have also contacted members of the council to state the same. Among other flagrant irregularities in the award, you have helped me send the message that uninterrupted years of union service cannot be dismissed, regardless of an airline’s financial condition.

Your solidarity during this stressful time has been overwhelming. I have told the EC to expect many of our pilots to be there on Monday. We have been through some difficult times together, but the Nicolau award is the biggest slap in the face. I look forward to seeing many of you in Herndon on Monday to help deliver the message to Captain Prater and the Executive Council that if they are serious about taking this union back, they cannot leave any pilot behind. Your presence is crucial in delivering that message.

Continue to look out for each other out there. And as always, fly safe and thanks for listening.