US Airways ALPA PHL Council 41 Update

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways ALPA PHL Council 41 Update - June 4, 2007

Why the List Can’t Be Fixed

Dear Philadelphia Pilots,

For those of you present at Herndon on May 21, 2007 that heard our Chairman, Jack Stephan, tell you and Captain Prater that we were not interested in fixing this list. You now need to know why your PHL Reps really do mean-it; the Nicolau “Award†can’t be fixed!

Numerous assumptions by the Arbitrator to build the list were base on fallacy. Obvious tenets of ALPA Merger policy were not applied by the Arbitrator as describe in our Presentation to the Executive Council of ALPA National. Mainly, and above all else the lack of application of avoiding windfalls at the expense of the other groups was completely missed. There was no test applied to the finished list as described to us by our pilot neutral. In addition the following items (to name a few) render the list un-repairable:

1. The lack of consideration for attrition brought to the merger by the AAA pilots. (4 to 1 ratio of attrition)

2. The MDA pilots being considered not active pilots at time of announced Merger. Arbitrator failed to recognize our certified list.

3. No active time applied for any furloughed pilots.

4. No consideration of staffing formula differences between the two airlines. US Airways currently has fewer pilots per aircraft working more hours causing a discrepancy in equipment ratios that harms the US Airways pilots.

5. The lack of disclosure of impending Bankruptcy filing of AWA under a plan called Project Zanzibar.

6. Procedural errors in the Arbitration process.

Any fix that is attempted would have to be tested against the next Merger or Consolidation. All of this leads to a broken list that can’t be fixed.

ALPA has but one choice, and that is to do the right thing and set this list aside. At that point, we can then consider the next steps to the process. Until that action is taken by National, we are not in a position to best represent out pilots in a fair and equitable manner.

The following is a letter sent to the Executive Council.

To: Capt. J. Prater, President, ALPA
ALPA Executive Board & Council Members

Date: May 21, 2007

Subject: US Airways/America West Merger and Nicolau Arbitration Award.

Council 41 has had literally hundreds of responses to the Arbitration Award. We have been asked to review the reasons why it is clear that Mr. Nicolau failed:

To comprehend and apply ALPA Merger Policy which Mr. Nicolau stated in writing in his Rules of Arbitration as his primary consideration; and

To accurately grasp the employment status of the MDA pilots; and

To recognize the simple difference between journeyman and apprentice pilot; and

To recognize seniority accrued as a result of tenure; and

To recognize exactly how windfalls arise at the expense of another pilot group and how specific Merger Policy provision expressly prohibits it.

Why he flagrantly digressed from reality; why he ignored ALPA Merger Policy provisions; why he failed to follow his own written statement of procedural rules specifically governing this arbitration is not fully known but is presently under investigation. We apologize if this arrives as repetitive information however it is imperative for you to have the following to include in your deliberations:

Mr. Jerry Glass provided sworn testimony stating, and we quote, “MDA is and always has been USAirways. The E-170 aircraft are nothing other than a fleet type at USAirways.†This testimony is available in certified form.

FAA has ruled that MDA does not exist separately from USAirways.

FAA shut down the E-170 ground school sending every pilot home because USAirways was attempting to operate MDA as a wholly-owned carrier called MidAtlantic Airlines.

FAA forced re-writing all E-170 training documents to fully comply with the USAirways FOM.

USAirways’ Training Department strictly prohibited MDA pilot use of the terminology, “MidAtlantic,†and were instructed to refer to themselves as a, “division of USAirways†whenever an FAA Inspector was present or might be listening.

Absolutely no one could define the division between MDA and US Airways mainline and, over time, we learned that there was in fact no division at all.

MDA did not possess a separate, unique operating certificate; it operated under the USAirways FAR Part 121 Operating Certificate.

USAirways had originally intended to operate MDA under the Potomac Air certificate but abandoned that entire concept.

The pilots were paid by USAirways through a payroll service located in Harrisburg, PA, and were, in fact, paid from the exact same payroll account as US Airways mainline pilots.

Annual W-2s received by every pilot at MDA identified USAirways as the employer.

The benefits at MDA were provided and paid for by USAirways and administered by a third party (SSO).

The pilots at MDA were listed as ‘ACTIVE AAA MEMBERS’ on the ALPA Website.

The pilots at MDA paid dues from day one to the AAA chapter of ALPA.

Official flying records for all MDA pilots were maintained by Teresa Bell of USAirways.

Teresa did NOT maintain records for ANY wholly owned carriers.

After nearly a year, the USAirways MEC finally agreed that MDA was USAirways and formally included the names of the CEL pilots on the official USAirways seniority list.

While working as an MDA Captain, F/O Portale was twice nominated for, and elected to, the position of AAA Council 41 Secretary Treasurer. No wholly-owned carrier could EVER have one of their pilots run for an election in the AAA chapter of ALPA – EVER – unless that pilot was on the current seniority list! He was able to lawfully accomplish this because MDA was USAirways!

ALPA recently admitted in Federal Court errs in the manners in which they administered MDA pilots - proffering a monetary settlement which was rejected.

We could continue, there is much more evidences, but we hope you understand the situation. There is NO doubt that MDA was USAirways and those pilots flying were USAirways ALPA pilots. The association’s lack of foresight during this critical period is certainly regrettable as it caused much harm to these pilots in terms of pay and longevity.

That is an argument best saved for another day. Currently we face a massive crisis: Mr. Nicolau’s decision to not credit time served at MDA - and to treat the MDA pilots as though they were furloughed at the time of the merger announcement - is simply contradictory to, and incompatible with, legal realities and current ALPA policy. Time will never heal this injurious decision. We believe this goes straight to the roots of ALPA as a labor union - including suitable responsibility.

It is simply not logical or practical to compound one error with yet another.

As we’ve mentioned, if any of you have the slightest doubt about the authenticity of any of the above statements, we request you notify one of us immediately so we may provide any evidence needed. The arbitrator’s award needs to be vacated simply because it is based upon incorrect information and failure to comply with specific doctrine contained within ALPA Merger Policy.

Many pilots are expressing a belief disbanding ALPA is the answer; the best course of action for them, individually, and our pilot group collectively. We are relatively certain you have seen such comments and heard of petitions in current circulation. This represents acute implications for the association and for all ALPA pilots.

We highly encourage you to appropriately vacate Mr. Nicolau’s Arbitration Award as currently published and to do so without delay. The award, as it stands, represents nothing less than a holocaust – to both pre-merger US Airways pilots and, ultimately our association. The only thing worse would be if this board failed to correct it.

Everyone here knows of politics, individual motivations and personal agenda. We ask that you approach this issue as an open-minded, professional - and representational leader; that you discern the difference between fact and innuendo; that due to the dynamics of our industry you recognize those implications inherent to membership injustice and the future of our union. Your decision at this juncture may impact your individual future.

We believe you recognize the potential of adhering to ALPA policies - or the failure to do so. This issue imparts a hazard of singular magnitude to ALPA: our policies either contain career equities and protections or they do not. Please do not underestimate the impact on the future of our association if failure to support ALPA philosophies and policies becomes absent today.

This issue is not about politics. It is about specifically provisioned justice entitled to every ALPA pilot. It is about adhering to policies which supposedly exist for all members from the top to the bottom. Policies and tenure must not be selectively ignored or purposefully disregarded or else they represent nonexistent value and point to increasingly discernable problems within our association.

It sets the stage for subsequent atrocities for members of ALPA.

Signed,

Capt. Eric Rowe, PHL LEC 41 Chairman
F/O David Ciabattoni, PHL LEC 41 Vice-Chairman
F/O James Portale, PHL LEC 41 Secretary/Treasurer

It appears that procedural errors occurred while crafting the list that were egregious enough that ALPA National has to take a position. They are the ones that allowed this to occur by removing the gold standard, DOH.

All remedies to lists, including the AWA/U list could have been handled with a DOH and fence/ slot position adjustments, including placing a slice of AWA in the 767/757 positions since they fly 757s to HI, with eventual Europe flying as well. Protections could have been put up to guard both career paths, with block hour expansion dropping fences like a Terrell Owens pass.

ALPA could have made things much simpler by doing it that way, but since a one year pin is the same as a twenty year pin, then my thirty year pin (shortly) represents nothing but dues check-off.

ALPA has revealed itself in true nature to be pimps. U pilots now know, since we are the ones getting F'd.

It appears that procedural errors occurred while crafting the list that were egregious enough that ALPA National has to take a position. They are the ones that allowed this to occur by removing the gold standard, DOH.

All remedies to lists, including the AWA/U list could have been handled with a DOH and fence/ slot position adjustments, including placing a slice of AWA in the 767/757 positions since they fly 757s to HI, with eventual Europe flying as well. Protections could have been put up to guard both career paths, with block hour expansion dropping fences like a Terrell Owens pass.

ALPA could have made things much simpler by doing it that way, but since a one year pin is the same as a twenty year pin, then my thirty year pin (shortly) represents nothing but dues check-off.

ALPA has revealed itself in true nature to be pimps. U pilots now know, since we are the ones getting F'd.

I have terminated my dues check-off as well as my PAC contributions. ALPA has been conspicuous in it's lack of meaningful support for the issues that have assaulted this pilot group since 9/11. Watering down merger policy and now the award have been the last straws.

Yet, they may redeem themselves in my mind if they do the right thing. The next few weeks will tell. My next check will either go to ALPA or to aaapilots4fairness.

Oh GMFB will you!!!! ALPA didn't change the merger policy THE PILOTS DID!!! It's clear to everyone on the planet except you on the east. You honestly feel that DOH would have been a fair integration don't you?/ Just staple us to the bottom of the list and everyone is happy right? PLEASE spare us your I'm entitled speech again. You ain't entitled GD thing on my back!!! "They were going to go into bankruptcy" well there is one hell of a big difference between about to and already in!!!

I agree with your clowns in C41 it can't be fixed, why?? because it's already fair. DOH????? GMAMFB.

Oh GMFB will you!!!! ALPA didn't change the merger policy THE PILOTS DID!!! It's clear to everyone on the planet except you on the east. You honestly feel that DOH would have been a fair integration don't you?/ Just staple us to the bottom of the list and everyone is happy right? PLEASE spare us your I'm entitled speech again. You ain't entitled GD thing on my back!!! "They were going to go into bankruptcy" well there is one hell of a big difference between about to and already in!!!

I agree with your clowns in C41 it can't be fixed, why?? because it's already fair. DOH????? GMAMFB.

Let's see, DOH with the fences, conditions, and restrictions that would protect all Wst pilots for the PHX and LAS flying along with guaranteed upgrades based off the WEST attrition and growth out of those bases. Like fences, conditions, and restrictions for PHL, CLT, PIT, DCA, BOS, and LGA and attrition from the EAST list and growth out of their bases for East pilots with downturn conditions to protect West pilots from the brunt of a mass downgrade of furlough would be off your back how?

Unless you want something more than was your expectation? West had already abandoned CMH and the east coast and if you think your dysfunctional airline was going to try and reopen an east coast hub or grow internationally off the East coast, your "career expectation" was way out of wack.

Let's see, DOH with the fences, conditions, and restrictions that would protect all Wst pilots for the PHX and LAS flying along with guaranteed upgrades based off the WEST attrition and growth out of those bases. Like fences, conditions, and restrictions for PHL, CLT, PIT, DCA, BOS, and LGA and attrition from the EAST list and growth out of their bases for East pilots with downturn conditions to protect West pilots from the brunt of a mass downgrade of furlough would be off your back how?

Unless you want something more than was your expectation? West had already abandoned CMH and the east coast and if you think your dysfunctional airline was going to try and reopen an east coast hub or grow internationally off the East coast, your "career expectation" was way out of wack.

Were you or are you furloughed yes or no??

It seems to me that if you spent as much energy trying to fix the problem as you do sniping at each other, you just might stumble on a way to work this out.....I have asked repeatedly if anyone has ideas on how this can be remedied, and all I hear back is continued sniping and bickering.

And while I won't get involved in most labor/management issues, this seems more like a labor/labor issue. Management is not responsible for Nicolau's ruling. However, when customers begin to be affected by some of the actions taking place, and we can no longer count on US to get us where we need to be reliably, then we need to rethink our choices-it is the prudent thing to do.

While I have supported US and the employees firmly in the past, I have a responsibility as a customer advocate to make sure my members' best interests are served-and if the actions of an employee group make us lose faith in US, how can I recommend that our members continue to fly US?

So finally, I ask you--calmly and in a civilized (and perhaps somewhat ignorant manner)--what right does the EC or ANYONE in ALPA have to reject or in any way shape or form turn down the decision of BINDING arbitration? It seems to my outside view that East MEC gambled the farm--all or nothing-- and lost...No offense to ANY group intended, but could someone please explain that one to me?

All I can say is I do hope that BOTH sides can find a way to work this out--because if you don't do it soon, there may not be any customers left when you do. Our group represents almost 800 FF's, who AVERAGE $20K per year spend with US. Do the math--can US afford to lose that revenue?

My best to you all.......

It seems to me that if you spent as much energy trying to fix the problem as you do sniping at each other, you just might stumble on a way to work this out.....I have asked repeatedly if anyone has ideas on how this can be remedied, and all I hear back is continued sniping and bickering.

And while I won't get involved in most labor/management issues, this seems more like a labor/labor issue. Management is not responsible for Nicolau's ruling. However, when customers begin to be affected by some of the actions taking place, and we can no longer count on US to get us where we need to be reliably, then we need to rethink our choices-it is the prudent thing to do.

While I have supported US and the employees firmly in the past, I have a responsibility as a customer advocate to make sure my members' best interests are served-and if the actions of an employee group make us lose faith in US, how can I recommend that our members continue to fly US?

So finally, I ask you--calmly and in a civilized (and perhaps somewhat ignorant manner)--what right does the EC or ANYONE in ALPA have to reject or in any way shape or form turn down the decision of BINDING arbitration? It seems to my outside view that East MEC gambled the farm--all or nothing-- and lost...No offense to ANY group intended, but could someone please explain that one to me?

All I can say is I do hope that BOTH sides can find a way to work this out--because if you don't do it soon, there may not be any customers left when you do. Our group represents almost 800 FF's, who AVERAGE $20K per year spend with US. Do the math--can US afford to lose that revenue?

Let me try to answer you in a calm, civilized way Art. The argument is that the award did not follow basic tenents of the merger policy that the Arbitrator was compelled to follow. Had he done his job the East would have no arguement. Maybe heartburn but certainly not a logical, compelling reason to throw out the award.

That is not simply an opinion of the East. It is a provable fact. See the Council 41 letter. What we did or did not go for (or for that matter what the west guys went for) is irrelevant. We agreed to binding arbitration knowing the ALPA sponsored arbitrator would follow ALPA merger policy. Had he done so the chips would have fallen differently.

He did not. Hence, the award is flawed and to make an obviously flawed award binding is likely not legal and certainly not ethical or fair.

Having said that all the crap on these boards is useless chatter. Including this post of mine. Because, in the end, the EC of ALPA will decide what is right and what is not.

Once that decision is reached each pilot group will have recourse in one form or another.

While this problem is certainly of the highest priority I remain totally outraged at the way this company is being run by DP and the boys. His total lack of regard for the most important assets of the company is causing massive problems in the operation. With no end in sight.

I know if I were a business traveler LCC would be my last choice in air travel.

Hell, he defines the company with the ticker symbol LCC.

My Mom always told me you get what you pay for. Low Cost equals low performance. All the way around.

pilot

Pilot,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I read the letter, and am trying to understand HOW it violates merger policy, so forgive my ignorance...

That said, while Tempe is responsible for many of the operational issues existant today, how are they responsible for the increased cancellations, slow taxis, etc., and calling flights for minor issues?
We all know that something is happening in the flight deck, and my point is that this kind of action will not help solve the problem-it will hasten the demise of the company--I am getting Eastern Deja Vu here......

As I have said in the past, I have always supported US and it's front line--if this continues, I fear I won't be able to any more.......and will have to report to my membership accordingly.

And for what it's worth, our members are being warmly welcomed by the competition--so there's a double edge sword there--many might not come back.

I continue to hope for the best, but I am not very optimistic at this time.

That said, while Tempe is responsible for many of the operational issues existant today, how are they responsible for the increased cancellations, slow taxis, etc., and calling flights for minor issues?

The only flights I have seen cancelled by pilots was one of the egregious ATA birds that, for several weeks, barfed toilet spew all over the carpet in the back third of the 757, all because HP mx failed a simple mx procedure.

We all know that something is happening in the flight deck, and my point is that this kind of action will not help solve the problem-it will hasten the demise of the company--I am getting Eastern Deja Vu here......

I would suggest that the vast majority of cockpit crews will ignore most any insult in order to "help the company". Most of the pilots are cry-babies and will "carry" a "few" writeups to the point that when I get the aircraft, I used to average some 40 writeups per flight, some life-threatening that had been carried for over three weeks in some cases.

As I have said in the past, I have always supported US and it's front line--if this continues, I fear I won't be able to any more.......and will have to report to my membership accordingly.

I would suggest a safer carrier. For instance, the Piedmont mentality of "helping out the company" has actually created major safety hazards and allowed a really crappy mx department to minimize itself to the point of danger.

US/HP likely will die, killed not directly by contrived cockpit crew actions but, because the cockpit crew would not do their jobs, thereby allowing surrounding agencies to not do theirs, US/HP could easily die because everyone of consequence shoveled the poop under the carpet and advised everyone else to ignore the resulting lump.

ussnark,

I don't think for a minute any pilot would fly a plane which has been written up for something covered by MEL or which would possibly endanger anyone. And if there are safety issues in ANY aspect of the operation they need to come front and center without delay.

I think we all know what I am talking about--and right or wrong, and I stand by my original comments.

Again, I am not trying to be argumentative, but we (customers) are caught in the middle here, and you all need to know we don't like it, and we will likely go elsewhere SOON if things don't get better real fast.

SOMEONE needs to step up and find a way to fix this--and my biggest issue is that the parties involved seem more intent on fighting with each other than doing that.....it seems like no one cares about anything else than fingerpointing and blaming each other...
If you don't fix this soon it will be a moot point.

I wish you ALL the best, and hope this works out--but we're not going to remain stuck in the middle here....

And, LCC is anything but--they may have low costs (too low, since they have to spend triple the amount to fix the mistakes), but they are certainly NOT low fare.......

Let me try to answer you in a calm, civilized way Art. The argument is that the award did not follow basic tenents of the merger policy that the Arbitrator was compelled to follow. Had he done his job the East would have no arguement. Maybe heartburn but certainly not a logical, compelling reason to throw out the award.

That is not simply an opinion of the East. It is a provable fact. See the Council 41 letter. What we did or did not go for (or for that matter what the west guys went for) is irrelevant. We agreed to binding arbitration knowing the ALPA sponsored arbitrator would follow ALPA merger policy. Had he done so the chips would have fallen differently.

He did not. Hence, the award is flawed and to make an obviously flawed award binding is likely not legal and certainly not ethical or fair.

Having said that all the crap on these boards is useless chatter. Including this post of mine. Because, in the end, the EC of ALPA will decide what is right and what is not.

Once that decision is reached each pilot group will have recourse in one form or another.

While this problem is certainly of the highest priority I remain totally outraged at the way this company is being run by DP and the boys. His total lack of regard for the most important assets of the company is causing massive problems in the operation. With no end in sight.

I know if I were a business traveler LCC would be my last choice in air travel.

Hell, he defines the company with the ticker symbol LCC.

My Mom always told me you get what you pay for. Low Cost equals low performance. All the way around.

pilot

So Pilot,
As a West pilot, if the ALPA EC finds evidence that the guidelines were not followed, then so be it. We (I) want nothing less than Merger policy to be followed.
If, on the other hand, the ALPA EC rules that the award is in compliance with ALPA merger policy, should I expect the East pilots to agree with ALPA at that point in time and accept the list?
I think not. No pilot in the East will accept this award as fair. Even if your own MEC admitted it, you would just recall them and vote someone in who agrees with your assessment.
The East pilots will resort to anything to stop this award with or without ALPA's blessing. Go for it. It's your "USAir" name, not mine. What a legacy!

Let me try to answer you in a calm, civilized way Art. The argument is that the award did not follow basic tenents of the merger policy that the Arbitrator was compelled to follow. Had he done his job the East would have no arguement.
Please. The East has made it clear that anything less than DOH would have provoked roughly the same reaction we are seeing now. They don't have a good argument now, yet they are arguing about it to the death.

They don't have a good argument now, yet they are arguing about it to the death.

At exactly what point would you suggest we give up? Now, next week, or a year from now? We have nothing to lose.

Greeter.

Latest posts