Us Airways Analysis

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Last year US Airways hedged about one-third of its fuel requirements and hedged about a five-percent this year.

Today’s edition of the edited by moderator Daily Airline News at report has an interesting table that looks at U.S. Legacy Carrier Operating Results Adjusted By Fuel price and its effect on US Airways’ return to profitability.

Through the third quarter of 2004, US Airways had the lowest fuel cost per gallon of any network carrier and clearly illustrates the company’s current problem. US Airways made this achievement with a successful fuel hedge program coordinated by the Finance Department, however, to comply with federal loan guarantee minimum unrestricted cash requirements the company elected to sell $46 million in fuel hedge positions. Without this sale the company would have violated the end of February minimum cash requirements required by the ATSB.

Each $1 increase in the price of NYMEX Crude Oil Futures increases the company’s average fuel expense by $2 million per month or $24 million per year, which is adversely effecting the company’s transformation. Last summer when the company drew up its new business plan crude oil was trading in the mid-$30s and today it is trading at about $56 per barrel. That increase in about seven months time has increased the company’s annual energy expense by about $500 million per year.

The table at www.chipsplace.com indicates that with US Airways’ labor savings and fuel at more acceptable levels, the company would be profitable today.

To help offset the increase in jet fuel prices the company has obtained deeper employee cost cuts ($317 million per year higher than the initial ask of $800 million for a total of $1.17 billion per year plus elimination of DB retirement plan obligations) and has obtained five fare increases during the past five weeks that will strengthen revenue. To further cut costs the carrier is now focused on cost management, fuel conservation, and operational efficiency. Senior management has created a new task force that began work last week whose objective is to return the airline to industry leading operational performance.

See Story

At the beginning of March US Airways had sufficient cash-on-hand to comply with the ATSB’s minimum requirements and then had access to $100 million in additional liquidity. The company drew down $75 million from the Air Wisconsin debtor-in-possession/equity investment facility and was eligible to draw another $25 million on March 31. In addition, the company can elect to obtain another $110 million in liquidity from its agreement with Wexford Capital/Republic by disposing of MDA assets and 137 East Coast commuter slots, if required.

US Airways poor operational performance created the largest major airline customer-service drop-off last year, reflecting the company’s deep personnel cuts and the turmoil created by the formal reorganization.

One key component of the plan to improve operational performance has to be to improve employee-management relations. During the past few days the company held discussions with the CWA and the AFA to resolve some differences and grievances and a significant amount of progress had been made.

AFA MEC president Teddy Xidas told the Beaver County Times "We're very pleased with this," Xidas said. "This is really moving in the right direction for management and labor for our group." "Basically, the company is wanting us to join hands and kumbaya," she said. "The company wants us to move to help, to get the labor coalition together to find ways to change morale."

See Story

I believe a key component required for US Airways to return its operation to industry leading standards enjoyed in 2002 and 2003, which will further drop unit costs, is for the company to stop exploiting key areas of labor contracts. The airline is now in a period of transition with labor contract changes, outsourcing, new personnel manning models, and fleet plan changes. These changes will cause periods of disruption and to limit the problems, there must be a spirit of cooperation between the parties to provide US Airways’ customers with industry leading service. The only way to achieve the level of cooperation required for success is for management to stop exploiting the pilot and other union contracts, honor the new CBA’s, and to clear up the grievance backlog.

Only then will US Airways be able to obtain industry leading DOT performance, which will increase revenue and lower costs.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Who is this Chip guy and why should anyone take his word for anything?

It appears that your chart with fuel cost is in error. Just a quick check shows US' 3rd qtr 2004 fuel cost was $1.1146/gal ($1.0611 ex taxes) and for the 9 months ended Sept 30 2004 was $1.0602 ($1.0055 ex taxes).

Either fuel was very cheap in the 4th quarter 2003 (like 66 cents/gal) or you got a bad number somewhere.

I didn't bother checking the others....

Respectfully

Jim

The only way to achieve the level of cooperation required for success is for management to stop exploiting the pilot and other union contracts, honor the new CBA’s, and to clear up the grievance backlog.

Only then will US Airways be able to obtain industry leading DOT performance, which will increase revenue and lower costs.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="260791"][/post]​
[/quote]

I knew your post smacked of a hidden agenda. I don't ever recall hearing you defending any of the "other" unions until the company began to encroach upon your labor contract <_< . Now why is that???

Seems like the company is slowly increasing the "Pain Quotient" regarding ALPA in SPITE of your cooperative participation in concessions. Perhaps now you will begin to understand EXACTLY what we soothsayers have claimed all along..........

Concessions beget more concessions!!! You fools made a deal with the devil in hopes of receiving a "less painful" contract at the cost of those who were prudently reluctant to do so.....particularly the M&R :down:.

What goes around comes around my dear capt. So now you need to ask yourself $$$$$$$$How low can you go before you say enough is enough :lol: :p :lol: ???$$$$$$$$$?????

"""Last year US Airways hedged about one-third of its fuel requirements and hedged about a five-percent this year. """

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They hedged 1/3 of their fuel last year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

To help offset the increase in jet fuel prices the company has obtained deeper employee cost cuts ($317 million per year higher than the initial ask of $800 million for a total of $1.17 billion per year plus elimination of DB retirement plan obligations) and has obtained five fare increases during the past five weeks that will strengthen revenue.

That is what is wrong with the airlines today! The employees are paying for the fuel. Why not the pax, I believe their time has come to pitch in too!

Saw a great bumper sticker the other day: "What is all of our oil doing under their sand?"

BoeingBoy said:
It appears that your chart with fuel cost is in error. Just a quick check shows US' 3rd qtr 2004 fuel cost was $1.1146/gal ($1.0611 ex taxes) and for the 9 months ended Sept 30 2004 was $1.0602 ($1.0055 ex taxes).

Either fuel was very cheap in the 4th quarter 2003 (like 66 cents/gal) or you got a bad number somewhere.

I didn't bother checking the others....

Respectfully

Jim
[post="260797"][/post]​

Hey Jim...nice stash...like yours, mine turned gray but since the hair on my head is still brown without the gray I shaved the stash...vanity---one of the seven deadly...

calibrator said:
Hey Jim...nice stash...like yours, mine turned gray but since the hair on my head is still brown without the gray I shaved the stash...vanity---one of the seven deadly...
[post="260820"][/post]​
crack too many mirrors shaving,eh guy??

Cloud Watcher said:
The employees are paying for the fuel. Why not the pax, I believe their time has come to pitch in too!

Great idea. Then you'll have empty planes, which will save even MORE on fuel costs!

The fuel figures were obtained from Aviation Daily.

I regard to contract exploitation, both management and labor has made mistakes. My issue is one point: its integrity. It’s wrong for management to exploit a contract just like it’s wrong for a union member to call in sick to have another PDO or quasi vacation day.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
The fuel figures were obtained from Aviation Daily.

I regard to contract exploitation, both management and labor has made mistakes. My issue is one point: its integrity. It’s wrong for management to exploit a contract just like it’s wrong for a union member to call in sick to have another PDO or quasi vacation day.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="260874"][/post]​
i believe management has what is called a "mental health " type of occurance.....what comes around goes around....... ;)

[...] My issue is one point: its integrity....
Regards,
USA320Pilot

in·teg·ri·ty Pronunciation Key (n-tgr-t)
1. Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.
2. The quality or condition of being whole or undivided; completeness

You are kidding, right? From my observations, neither you nor management at US Airways has any of what you speak.

Hunter:

Hunter said: "You are kidding, right? From my observations, neither you nor management at US Airways has any of what you speak."

USA320Pilot asks: Hunter, with all due respect, can you provide examples?

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Clue:

Is a person allowed freedom of speech or allowed to write and OpEd column? Furthermore, where does the dictionary state there is a lack of integrity for writing an opinion? It's well documented how the IAM hurt its members more than any other employee group. For example, the IAM just ended negotiations where its members provided management with the greatest giveback to the company for any union.

In addition, the only reason ALPA responded and issued the code-a-phone was to pacify the IAM. Did you miss that point too?

Regards,

USA320Pilot