US Airways And IAM Reach Tentative Agreement For 7,700 Fleet Service Employees

Elevation

Veteran
Oct 21, 2002
US Airways And IAM Reach Tentative Agreement For 7,700 Fleet Service Employees
August 10 , 2007
US Airways and the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) District 141 today announced they have reached a tentative agreement on a single contract for the airline’s fleet service employees.

The tentative agreement, which is subject to ratification by the airline’s 7,700 fleet service employees, would establish new wages and make other improvements for the airline’s baggage handlers and ramp personnel. The airline and the union had been in negotiations for more than a year, and just last week began discussions with the help of National Mediation Board (NMB) facilitators.

Ratification is expected to take three to four weeks. The new agreement becomes effective within 30 days following ratification and extends through the new amendable date, Dec. 31, 2011.

“Today’s announcement moves us another step closer to a unified airline and our goal of bringing our remaining groups to single labor agreements,†said US Airways Chairman and CEO Doug Parker.

Vice President, Labor Relations Al Hemenway added, “We are extremely pleased to have reached a tentative agreement that recognizes the contributions and efforts of our fleet service team. That we were able to reach a tentative agreement after only one week of facilitated discussions is testament to the efforts of the IAM negotiators, the US Airways team and the NMB.â€

The company and IAM together requested facilitation on July 28, and talks commenced on Aug. 1. In this voluntary process, the NMB assigns a Board mediator who works with both parties in an advisory role, helping the parties find common areas of agreement and reach solutions.
The IAM also represents US Airways’ maintenance and related employees. Facilitated negotiations with the IAM for a single agreement that would cover maintenance workers are also underway.

US Airways has reached prior unified agreements with the CWA/IBT, which represents the airline’s reservations agents and passenger service employees; and with the Transport Workers Union (TWU), representing flight dispatchers, instructors and engineers. Negotiations for single agreements continue with the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) and the Association of Flight Attendants (AFA).

US Airways is the fifth largest domestic airline employing more than 36,000 aviation professionals worldwide. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express operate approximately 3,700 flights per day and serve more than 230 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. The new US Airways -- the product of a merger between America West and US Airways in September 2005 -- is a member of the Star Alliance network, which offers our customers 16,000 daily flights to 855 destinations in 155 countries worldwide. This press release and additional information on US Airways can be found at www.usairways.com. (LCCG).

I went on the website to look at the summary.
Looks good for pay raises, scope, sick, and pension match.
The other unions should take heed of their improvements...

Just my opinion...

http://www.iam141.org/usairway.htm#usa.08.10.07

It looks pretty lame to me after all we have given up........No full sick pay.....no more holidays.....no double time......come on!

A mere drop in a bucket compared to what the company would have to pay should we win the change in control grievance...

I say it's time we as a group grow a set of balls and .....VOTE NO.....and get real leverage against this greedy management team....

Come on guys and gals this is where we separate the men and women from the boys and girls......we have waited this long......let's show this management we will not continue to let them reward themselves on the backs of our hard work and past and present sacrifices.......

I SAY VOTE NO-------- :down:

Good for you that's a start....

how about the rest of this group...can we pull it off

I say start the VOTE NO campaign in your city...and let's get the word spread........system wide.....

And we really need the hubs help on this come on PHX-LAS-CLT-PHL...enough of this managements B.S. is enough..

Will retired or furloughed employees be mailed a vote? Will those who don't vote be a yes vote? Will it be a phone in vote, if yes , very manipulative.

you know that all of these votes are geared for a yes........that's why we need everyone involved here......any non-vote will be a yes vote...how democratic

This is a HUGE step in the right direction for those of us currently on furlough, with the eleimation of the 60 furlough clause. I have no doubts that there are other items that are more important to those who are still working, but this is certainly some long awaited good news.... :up:

"The tentative agreement includes a single wage scale that covers all Fleet Service workers and provides for wage increases of up to 22%. We also successfully eliminated the 60-day rule and Class II pay scales, increased pension contributions (to the only defined benefit pension plan on the property) and significantly enhanced our scope language that provides additional job security. "

I fully understand the significance of these things but you better find out if it only covers those currently working.....that would be big and the rest just does not cut it....

If the 60 day clause is removed, it should cover those on furlough who still retain recall rights. Most of us have just under 2 years left to exercise them. Most, if not all of the noise on this subject has come from those effected by it. To the best of my knowledge there haven't been any significant furloughs in Fleet since the outsourcing of the class 2 stations on 2005.

Will retired or furloughed employees be mailed a vote? Will those who don't vote be a yes vote? Will it be a phone in vote, if yes , very manipulative.
Once again, retirees and furloughees are not eligible to vote, you have to be an active employee, and there are no provisions in the IAM constitution for phone voting, only voting in person is permitted.

And not voting is not a vote casted either way, it is a simple majority vote.

Don't know about how much of an increase to TOS this includes, but I did notice the snap back provisions to the '99 CBA on Jan 1 2012. It also looks like they are enticing the mid seniority level with a quicker acrual of vacation, and relaxation of sick time pay out. The biggest carrot I would say is the snap back provision. Was that available in previous CBA?