US Airways and Mesa Air Group Reach Agreement to Expand US Airways Express Regional Jet Network

dashflyer

Aug 20, 2002
And the hits just keep on coming.[BR][BR][A href=http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021018/dcf021_1.html]http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021018/dcf021_1.html[/A]

US Airways and Mesa Air Group Reach Agreement to Expand US Airways Express Regional Jet Network
Friday October 18, 2:46 pm ET

ARLINGTON, Va., Oct. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways has reached an agreement with Mesa Air Group, Inc., to begin flying 20 additional 50-seat regional jets as part of the US Airways Express network, with the first of these aircraft to begin service in December 2002. All 20 of the regional jets will be integrated into the US Airways Express network during 2003.

As part of the agreement, which is subject to U.S. bankruptcy court approval, Mesa Air Group plans to participate in US Airways' Jets for Jobs program allowing some of this new regional jet flying to be done by furloughed US Airways pilots.

Mesa Airlines currently operates as a US Airways Express carrier, using a combination of regional jets and turbo-prop aircraft in 38 US Airways markets. Mesa Airlines, along with other subsidiaries of parent company Mesa Air Group, operate 32 regional jets and 41 turbo-prop aircraft as US Airways Express.

US Airways Express' three wholly-owned subsidiaries and seven affiliate carriers currently operate more than 2,000 flights daily, serving 161 destinations in the U.S., Canada and the Caribbean.

100+- D8's and D328's generate to much money (CASM vs. RASM) to throw in the waste basket for RJ's especially with the industry in this sitch! (short term)

Mesa Air Group plans to participate in US Airways' Jets for Jobs program allowing some of this new regional jet flying to be done by furloughed US Airways pilots.

I hear that TLH should get RJ service come Jan 2003 that is good news..but I wonder if that means that piedmont will take back TLH-TPA-MCO markets

I hope the stumbling block that ALPA has tossed infront of CCAir can be resolved. Thier Pilots did everything asked of them to insure thier continued operation. Why ALPA (Thier Elected Reprsentation) is jeopardizing the entire company is beyond reason. I hope the CCAir folks get thier shot at staying in operation....and are the first in line for additional RJ Flying!! These folks have been put through absolute hell since the Mesa takeover. I hope this turns into a chance for these folks to shine again!! IMHO...they have earned the right to survive a thousand times over!!! Hang Tough CCAir!!!

My guess would be with ITRADE's guess... CC Air (or some form of it) will operate the next jets. I know that they have agreed to the terms of J4J. The only problem is the time frame. There isn't enough time to train pilots, is there? How much time does it take to upgrade from say a Dash 8 to an ERJ? How about to change from a 737 to an RJ?

AOG-N-IT said: I hope the stumbling block that ALPA has tossed infront of CCAir can be resolved. Thier Pilots did everything asked of them to insure thier continued operation. Why ALPA (Thier Elected Reprsentation) is jeopardizing the entire company is beyond reason. I hope the CCAir folks get thier shot at staying in operation....and are the first in line for additional RJ Flying!! These folks have been put through absolute hell since the Mesa takeover. I hope this turns into a chance for these folks to shine again!! IMHO...they have earned the right to survive a thousand times over!!! Hang Tough CCAir!!!

No offence, but the only companies that should be flying US Airways Express are ALG, PDT, and PSA. The contracting of US Airways Group flying needs to stop NOW! This is a HUGE slap in the face to the WO's who have given everything asked of them to take part in the rebuilding of this company. Good Luck asking for anything else Dave.

Its funny, I thought Dave would try to heal the wounds between Mgt, ML, and the WO, but it looks like it will get driven further apart.

Welcome to US Airways, the Contract Carrier Of Choice

[P]I agree that the WOs should be the first to get RJs. Unfortunately, that takes a lot of capital and deliver slots. Two things that US currently does not possess.[/P]
[P]If US wants to get back into the RJ game, its going to have to get them wherever it can. Mesa and Midway are the first two opportunities.[/P]
[P]BTW, how many turns can one get out of a RJ in a day?[/P]

AOG and Dash8ster,

Thanks for your support. In the past six months it seems like everyone has sort of brushed us CCair people under the rug and forgot about the hell we have been through. It's nice to know that support is still out there. If Andy Hughes (Mesa MEC) holds true to his promises then the J4J deal will not be signed at Mesa unless CCair is merged under one contract/seniority list with Mesa. Patiently keeping my fingers crossed.
Gnat

Gnat, No problem!! CCAir will always have a special place in my heart, Sure it's only a shadow of what I once knew...but I keep hoping that will change. I knew when Mesa took over, that things like this were going to happen. When Gann turned loose of the riegns...all bets were off!! I do not trust Johnny O...and I'm concerned about any further moves he might try in regard to mainline via the(Marvin the Martian Davis Group) Had it not been for Sept 11th..and the economic decline , I feel certain that Johnny O would have continued to buy stock in U...and inturn bought his way on to our BOD. Basically I find this man very un-nerving...and completely out for himself!! I will use your situation at CCAir as a basis for all my reasoning. I also agree that the 3 WO's deserve a chance to fly RJ's...but my reference to CC being able to fly first , was completely involved around the 20 RJ's that Mesa is putting on line for us, Mesa By-God owes these folks that!!! IMHO , the 3 WO's need to be consolidated to 1. This is not to say that MDA should not fit into this fold too. Protraction creates a since of divide...with the exception of the contract carriers...everyone should be operating from exactly the same gameplan in reagrds to finance and scope. We have too many divided houses to attempt to pull together properly. That's just my opinion.

For the scoop about Mesa, call 1-877-mesa-ceo. Seems that it may not be too clear about where the Mesa pilots stand on the J4J issue yet. Seems, so far, management has not gotten approval from the pilot group.