Us Airways And United Airlines News

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways and United Airlines News

Reports inside of US Airways indicate the first MidAtlantic Airways EMB-170 revenue flight will occur in early March and the aircraft will have a single versus two-class configuration. The aircraft will be a major US Airways LCC response.

Tomorrow in Denver United Airlines will reveal its new LCO (called “Tedâ€) inflight food and entertainment product.

US Airways operates 10 B767-200 aircraft and has a firm order for 10 A330-200s scheduled for delivery between 2007 to 2009. US Airways chief executive officer Dave Siegel has said the airline must consolidate its widebody fleet. Therefore, if the Airbus aircraft replace the Boeing aircraft, as a stand alone business entity, like United, US Airways could eliminate its B767-200s and have a widebody fleet of 19 A330s.

Bloomberg News reported on Thursday, November 13 that United Airlines has decided to accelerate the retirement of its B767-200s from 2008 to 2005.

The Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia has denied US Airways’ request for a stay of the injunction issued by District Court Judge Robert Cindrich on October 21, 2003. The ruling means Airbus maintenance may not be subcontracted pending a decision from the Court of Appeals on US Airways’ request to overturn the injunction.

The Appeals Court also approved an expedited appeal process. US Airways submitted its initial brief on November 3, 2003 and the court approved the following schedule for subsequent briefs:

Machinists Union’s brief due on November 19, 2003
US Airways’ reply brief due on November 24, 2003

Oral arguments will take place following submission of all briefs, and a decision from the court is not likely before the end of the year.

United closed its Indianapolis and Oakland maintenance facilities where A320 family aircraft overhaul was conducted.

US Airways has 1,879 pilots furloughed and the bottom seniority number is 3,859.

The November 11 United ALPA recorded message said the airline would furlough 104 pilots on November 19, 105 pilots on December 1, and 100 pilots on January 8. After the January 8 layoffs, the company will have 2,172 pilots furloughed and the bottom seniority number will be 7,256.

The US Airways – ALPA restructuring agreement dated August 9, 2002, page 37, states that for a seniority integration between US Airways and another ALPA airline the pilot seniority lists will be merged by ALPA Merger & Fragmentation Policy.

The United – ALPA restructuring agreement, dated March 27, 2003, attachment G, page 32, states that for a seniority integration between United and another ALPA airline the pilot seniority lists will be merged by ALPA Merger & Fragmentation Policy.

Today our crew had a former US Airways senior vice president on a flight and he told us the US Airways board of directors met last Thursday and United senior executives attended the meeting.

Regards,

Chip

anim0406-1_e0.gif

I thought one of the benefits of the EMB 170 was that it had favorable economics to allow the inclusion of the F cabin. If US just crams the EMB170 full of coach it won't be a whole lot better than the CRJ700 and certainly not competitive with other airlines mainline.

It also will sting a lot of markets that currently see the 733, since we know the EMB 170 will be replacing many of the 733 routes. US management really must try hard to make good things (an RJ with F) bad (RJ with no F).

Otherwise, the rest of your points are nothing spectacularly amazing. I know you're trying to head this to another US/UA merger and who knows you might be right. However, I wouldn't get that excited about a merger if I were you. It just means more job loss for your colleagues as US/UA try to take advantage of merger synergies by axing duplicate labor. Not to mention years of infighting and bitterness (think AA/TWA) and the fact that most airline mergers are miserable failures. So if I were you Chip, I would be praying a merger doesn't happen unless you really enjoy misery.

Dlflyer:

I am not excited about a merger and I have lived through them. My comments are to provide information and everything I said to start this topic was a fact.

Regards,

Chip

I don't know how true that is above, cause our MEC President for AFA did not have a meeting with U BOD last Thursday, and he sits on the Board as our Representative and TWU.

Chip Munn said:

Reports inside of US Airways indicate the first MidAtlantic Airways EMB-170 revenue flight will occur in early March and the aircraft will have a single versus two-class configuration. The aircraft will be a major US Airways LCC response.
Chip, I posted this on a previous thread about a week or more ago. You didn't believe it.
If you get to say it FIRST you are happy. Your word is not gospel.
You know, I usually enjoy reading your posts, but sometimes the 'know-it-all' attitude gets tiresome. Give us a break for a while. Get off the United thing.
It may be "factual", but put it on a back burner already

Twicebaked:

I do not read every post, but I somewhat remember yours. I do not respond message board reports from people I do not know and instead go to the appropriate source.

Regards,

Chip

;)

Chip, its not often I agree with you but, something is brewing. Richard Branson's Virgin USA is looking at PHL for a base of operations, Southwest is moving into PHL, does not look good. The big question you should be asking is, Is US Airways about to be sold off in pieces or is US Airways about to buy some pieces.

Chip Munn said:
Those are a lot of intersting facts chip. Can your source put some together or is this just baiting for another nonevent! Give us some substance!! Please

PitBull:

US Airways management meets with the board without employee board members. In addition, Bill Pollock was in Mexico last week.

It's not uncommon for company's to exclude union members from strategic decisions. That occurred with the last United - US Airways merger when UAL ALPA MEC Chairman Rick Dubinsky reported to the United pilots that he stepped off a flight at Dulles only to have his pager go off informing him the United board had voted to acquire US Airways, while there were simultaneous reports from US Airways DCA employees US Airways board members were flying into Washington.

In fact, Dubinsky was not informed of the board's final decision and he had the merger MOU faxed to him immediately before the US Airways board vote.

I do not know the contents of a meeting and I am not trying to say anything is happening, but I was told today by a former senior vice president, along with our crew, that United executives met with members of the US Airways board of directors.

Regards,

Chip

Chip Munn said:
I do not know the contents of a meeting and I am not trying to say anything is happening, but I was told today by a former senior vice president, along with our crew, that United executives met with members of the US Airways board of directors.

Regards,

Chip
Merger: CWA'ers questioned whether recent public statements by CEO Dave Siegel about industry consolidation indicated that management is looking to sell or merge the airline. We asked specifically if there were any merger or sale discussions or approaches going on. The answer from the executives was an unequivocal “Noâ€￾.

So who do we believe?

Chip Munn said:
Not without a two class configuration, it won't.

That the sole differentiation point between that RJ and anyone else's. So, an EMB-170 without F is no better than anyone else's RJs and certainly worse than the single class A320s and 737s flown by LCCs, and certainly less appealing than the 717 flown by one of the LCCs.

What is the "competitive response?"

Clue:

I disagree. The EMB-170 has a mainline type cabin with a 6'7'' cabin height, seats that are wider than the B737, large overhead compartments, 2 x 2 seating, and forward and aft lavatories.

The seating configuration will be like JetBlue, Southwest, Song, and Ted. Maybe that's why the configuration is being changed.

US Airways' competitive advantage will be it will fly a mainline type aircraft with a break even load factor of 50%, which is 10% lower than what JetBlue predicts for the EMB-190.

We all know where the EMB-170 savings will come from and it's from the "employees backs".

Regards,

Chip

"Bloomberg News reported on Thursday, November 13 that United Airlines has decided to accelerate the retirement of its B767-200s from 2008 to 2005."

Golly Chip, is this the type of cutting edge journalism you subscribe to?....

Never mind it was in the quarterly report 2 weeks earlier!! You DID at least read part of that report before you used it in a "doom and gloom" post didn't you? Remember the 71 million in "special charges"?.....

Chip,

Is it just me? Or does it really seem like "something" is coming our way. Esp. with what Dave said in his weekly message. What "good" news is around the corner for US??? Is MDA going to be renamed and/or have video in every seatback? Is MDA going to be our version of "Song" or "Jetblue"??? :huh:

Latest posts