Us Airways Announces Carib And Latin Am Expansion

US AIRWAYS ANNOUNCES CARIBBEAN AND LATIN AMERICA EXPANSION

New Charlotte-Liberia, Costa Rica Service Begins in February

ARLINGTON, Va., August 2, 2004 -- US Airways will expand its Caribbean and Latin America network on Feb. 12, 2005, with new service to Liberia, Costa Rica from Charlotte, N.C., and new nonstop Charlotte-Barbados service. In addition, US Airways will increase nonstop Boston-Aruba service in November 2004, and add a second nonstop Saturday flight between Charlotte and St. Thomas in December 2004.

Subject to foreign government approval, new Charlotte-Liberia service will operate each Saturday using 120-seat Airbus A319 aircraft. Liberia is one of the fastest-growing destinations in Central America, offering customers convenient access to the north Pacific beach communities and many ecotourism attractions. Flights will depart Charlotte at 10:30 a.m., and will arrive in Liberia at 1:40 p.m. Return flights will depart Liberia at 1:15 p.m., and will arrive in Charlotte at 6:15 p.m.

"The addition of Liberia to our Caribbean and Latin America network and the expansion of service to existing destinations underline our growth strategy in this region over the past four years," said Andrew P. Nocella, US Airways vice president of network and revenue management. "We now offer nonstop service to three times the number of destinations in the region as we did in 2000, and we look forward to continued expansion in the future, as contemplated in our Transformation Plan."

New nonstop service between Charlotte and Barbados will begin on Feb. 12, 2005, and will operate each Saturday using Airbus A319 aircraft, subject to foreign government approval. US Airways currently operates nonstop service to Barbados from Philadelphia.

Additionally, on Nov. 7, 2004, US Airways will expand its Boston-Aruba service, adding nonstop roundtrip flights each Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, using Airbus A319 aicraft. This service is also subject to foreign government approval. US Airways currently operates Boston-Aruba service on Saturday only. From Boston, US Airways operates service to Aruba, Bermuda, Cancun, Nassau, Montego Bay and San Juan.

Beginning Dec. 11, 2004, US Airways will add a second Saturday nonstop roundtrip flight between Charlotte and St. Thomas, using 193-seat Boeing 757 aircraft. US Airways operates nonstop service to 18 Caribbean and Latin American destinations from Charlotte.

US Airways, the US Airways Express carriers and US Airways Shuttle provide service to nearly 200 destinations worldwide, including 37 states in the U.S. and 10 destinations in Europe. In the Caribbean and Latin America, US Airways serves Antigua, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Cancun, Cozumel, Grand Bahama Island, Grand Cayman, Grenada, La Romana, Mexico City, Montego Bay, Nassau, Providenciales, Punta Cana, San José, San Juan, Santo Domingo, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and St. Croix. For more information on
US Airways flight schedules and fares, visit US Airways online at usairways.com.

US Airways is a member of the Star Alliance network. Star Alliance was established in 1997 as the first truly global airline alliance to offer customers global reach and a smooth travel experience. The members are Air Canada, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian, bmi, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Spanair, Thai Airways International, United, US Airways and VARIG Brazilian Airlines. South African Airways and TAP Air Portugal will join the alliance in 2005.

Reporters needing additional information should contact US Airways Corporate Affairs at (703) 872-5100.

Someone pointed something interesting out to me:

Flights will depart Charlotte at 10:30 a.m., and will arrive in Liberia at 1:40 p.m. Return flights will depart Liberia at 1:15 p.m., and will arrive in Charlotte at 6:15 p.m.

The LIR-CLT leaves before the CLT-LIR gets there!

Now that could just be an error in the press release.

Or it could mean US will have 2 planes in LIR.

One coming from FLL, maybe?

For a moment I thought I was reading that we were flying to Liberia as in Monrovia (MLW)...AFRICA and then I realized we were talking about US Airways.

ringmaruf said:
Someone pointed something interesting out to me:

The LIR-CLT leaves before the CLT-LIR gets there!

Now that could just be an error in the press release.

Or it could mean US will have 2 planes in LIR.

One coming from FLL, maybe?
Theres a time change involved in there, and I think they have the arrival coming in on Eastern Time and the departure showing local time. Flight down is just over 3 and back at 5 so I think that is where the confusion comes in. I thought the same thing when I first saw it only I thought it was daily service and someone was going to get a nice 23 hours layover in Costa Rica! :shock:

tadjr said:
Theres a time change involved in there, and I think they have the arrival coming in on Eastern Time and the departure showing local time. Flight down is just over 3 and back at 5 so I think that is where the confusion comes in. I thought the same thing when I first saw it only I thought it was daily service and someone was going to get a nice 23 hours layover in Costa Rica! :shock:
I initially thought of the time change, but that doesn't seem to be it. The flight times are correct as far as I can tell, at 4 hours of flight time.

And as for it just being a typo in the press release...well those times are showing up on the schedules and are available for purchase.

We'll see.

A lot of the Caribbean flights from CLT go to their destination then return to PHL and a lot of the PHL to Caribbean go back to CLT instead of PHL. That is how they can do it.