Us Airways Applies For Iad/bwi-cun

US has quite a large base of FFs in the DC area. Since they cannot operate DCA-CUN, IAD-CUN is a good move for them, especially since it's Saturday only.

They already operate a Saturday IAD-SJU. They'd love to be able to open all kinds of Caribbean routes out of DCA, but they can't. So they're doing a little out of IAD and BWI instead to offer some nonstop service to their Washington-area customer base.

Well, they can if its less than 1250 miles and the airport has customs clearance. Hence the NAS and BDA service.

This seems to be a continuance of the Metrojet strategy from years back where the constraints of DCA were circumvented by flying out of IAD.

I should also note that the proposal is for year-round service, with the potential to increase service beyond Saturday only.

At this rate, US will be able to utilize its equipment such that the flights are more than the simple out from X to Y and back to X - just like BDA.

ITRADE said:
I should also note that the proposal is for year-round service, with the potential to increase service beyond Saturday only.

At this rate, US will be able to utilize its equipment such that the flights are more than the simple out from X to Y and back to X - just like BDA.
Does bmi fly to BDA from UK?

I don't believe BMI flies to BDA. US needs to continue beefing up its late evening departures to Caribbean destinations to take advantage of the Star links.

RowUnderDCA said:
ITRADE said:

Does bmi fly to BDA from UK?
There are three Star airlines that fly to BDA - Air Canada, United, and US Airways.

I will note one VERY interesting discovery that I made today.

I loaded up the most recent version of the online Star alliance timetable. It has all flight combos listed for ALL Star alliance members. The version was dated April 1, 2004. Now, here's the interesting part:

For the first time, US Airways is included in the list of flights within the Star database. This did not happen prior to this edition. So, clearly things are about to enter a new phase.

On the star connections, it looks like some are already built in. For example, until March 4, no Star carrier flies to SXM. After March 4, US will be the sole Star carrier to the island.

US's 878 from SXM to CLT connects to US 94 from CLT to LGW. So, some connections are already possible. I'll have to tinker with a few schedules to see what else would work.

That is a tight connection, 878 usually runs late as it goes phl-sxm-clt, normally always runs late and comes in at 7pm or later, LGW leaves at like 8:20, is an hour enough for Customs, Immigration, USDA inspection, claiming your bags and rechecking them and going thru security once again to get to the LGw flight?

Some US only cities are still missing from the location list, though, from what I can tell. For example, Barbados (BGI), Manhattan, KS (MHK) and Latrobe, PA (LBE). Those were the only three I've checked so far.

700UW said:
That is a tight connection, 878 usually runs late as it goes phl-sxm-clt, normally always runs late and comes in at 7pm or later, LGW leaves at like 8:20, is an hour enough for Customs, Immigration, USDA inspection, claiming your bags and rechecking them and going thru security once again to get to the LGw flight?
If the US government had not changed the rules for connecting passengers coming from one country going to a different country (but only passing thru the US), this connection would not be a problem. Instead, AC sees a lot more connecting traffic of this sort.

Latest posts