Us Airways Asks Judge To Cut Workers' Salaries

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways Asks Judge to Cut Workers' Salaries

Bankruptcy experts said the company's request to impose salary cuts is fairly common and does not leave workers with many options. The practice is becoming common, particularly among airlines, said Robert Bruno, professor of labor and industrial relations at the University of Illinois.

Congress amended the bankruptcy law decades ago to make it slightly more difficult for employers to nullify union agreements. The change was designed to "prevent any employer from simply using a bankruptcy court to bust the union," Bruno said. But he said it has proved not to be much of an obstacle. "Employees in airlines are facing looking at having legacy benefits wiped out," Bruno said. "The union is in no position to defend its contract."

See Story

USA320Pilot cooments: This all could have been avioded, but union leadership has badly hurt the rank-and-file where now deeper cuts are being sougt in court. This was predicted by ALPA's advisors and the RC4 and the other labor leaders have let the membership down. Way to go union leaders!

Regards,

USA320Pilot

This article has all ready been posted and you seem to actually take pleasure in the PAIN you will feel.

700UW:

I take no special pleasure in the "pain" anybody will feel. The 23% pay cut is going to hit and it's due to the union leadership and malcontents like you. If you do not want to help the company convert to a LCC/network carrier hybrid than quit. You do nothing but hurt employees with your nonsensical posts where you deny the realities of the marketplace.

The marketplace is driving change and it's about over. More "pain" is coming tha was necessary whether we like it or not, largely due to union leadership and people like you. I take no special pleasure in the "pain" anybody will feel. The 23% pay cut is going to hit and it's due to the union leadership and malcontents like you. If you do not want to help the company convert to a LCC/network carrier hybrid than quit. You do nothing but hurt employees with your nonsensical posts where you deny the realities of the marketplace.

The marketplace is driving change and it's about over. More "pain" is coming than was necessary whether we like it or not, largely due to union leadership (or should I say lack thereof) and people like you.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

And because of people like you, you have no pension and your concessions have lowered the bar in the whole industry and even if you worked for free you won't be able to save this company.

Soon you will have to pay them to come to work.

And your constant dribble of trying to scare, intimidate and post false information just shows how terrified you are about life without US Airways.

It won't be the first airline to go out of business and won't be the last, people will survive, people that actually have intestinal fortitude, that is.

It is better to die with dignity then to live in fear as a coward.

Yep it is all my fault, lets see I lost vacation, sick time, holiday, pay more for insurance, work more hours for a lot less pay, saw 20,000 of my coworkers lose their job and see every contract on the property violated. Yep the past 15 years of inept business decisions is all my fault.

Get real.

Bob,

If there was a co. proposal presented to the AFA, that the negotiating committee did not deem as a T/A...guess what?

The MEC would have "roll called" it if 1 idiot would have motioned to turn it into one because of ones "self fear". Negotiating committee is the group that decides if a proposal is a T/A. Then they bring it forward. That is the process.

Then you would have sat on these boards and blamed AFA reps...and probably the 2 from PA, that I can think of right off. :up:

I promise you...it would have been roll called.

Post the whole truth:

Press Release

ARLINGTON, Va., July 27, 2004 -- US Airways Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: UAIR) today reported net income of $34 million for the second quarter 2004, which is a $21 million improvement over the second quarter of 2003. Net income per diluted share was $0.59 for the second quarter of 2004, compared to net income of $0.25 per diluted share for the second quarter of 2003.

The $34 million pre-tax income for the second quarter 2004 compares to pre-tax income of $26 million for the same quarter in 2003. However, the second quarter of 2003 included some significant unusual items, primarily a $214 million reimbursement from the Transportation Security Administration under the 2003 Emergency Wartime Supplemental Appropriations Act.

The company’s results for the quarter were favorably impacted by several factors, including fuel hedging, the sale of four aircraft which had previously been leased to a third party, the impact of the "Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003" on expenses related to post-retirement benefit obligations, and a favorable tax audit settlement.

Operating revenue for the second quarter improved to $1.96 billion from $1.78 billion for the second quarter of 2003, which is a 10.1 percent increase year-over-year. This increase was largely related to a 24.4 percent increase in capacity at the Express carriers.

The mainline cost per available seat mile (CASM), excluding fuel and unusual items, of 9.40 cents for the quarter, was a 12.6 percent improvement over the same period in 2003 (for a reconciliation of unit costs, see Note 3 to the Selected Airline Operating and Financial Statistics). This year-over-year performance is favorably impacted by non-cash stock compensation expense for stock granted to US Airways’ organized labor groups upon emergence from bankruptcy, which declined by $84 million. Absent the stock charges in both years, mainline CASM excluding fuel and unusual items would have declined 7.0 percent.

The cost of aviation fuel per gallon, including taxes, for the second quarter 2004 was 106.87 cents (101.39 cents excluding taxes), up 25.9 percent from the same period in 2003. Fuel hedging benefits, which partially mitigated the dramatic increase in fuel price, improved results by $19 million, or 7.1 cents per gallon. US Airways’ fuel position is 32.5 percent hedged for the second half of 2004 at an equivalent crude value of less than $26 per barrel and 5 percent hedged for 2005 at a crude value of $30 per barrel.

The beauty of being stark raving mad lies in 90% of what you say being lunacy, but there is that other 10% that hits home.

As long as a certain pilot opposed to his representation gets 10% right his madness justifies his rantings.

Dog Wonder said:
The beauty of being stark raving mad lies in 90% of what you say being lunacy, but there is that other 10% that hits home.

As long as a certain pilot opposed to his representation gets 10% right his madness justifies his rantings.
[post="184607"][/post]​
If you haven't figured it out by now, the rantings get worse with the lunar cycle. Hence, we have a full moon tonight. Bark at the moon....

In an email to the ALPA NC on September 19, ALPA lead economist Amy Alperi indicated the NC never met the $295 million cost cut target and she mentions NC “non truthsâ€￾ several times. I’m not going to go into details, but her comments support ALPA CLT F/O Rep Lance Svendsen’s statements to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that the RC4 "have misled this pilot group using e-mails, phone calls, resolutions and council letters. ... Their reckless and careless agenda ... has already cost this pilot group millions of dollars in lost income and benefits.''

In a September 19 letter to all pilots, MEC chairman Bill Pollock said, “US Airways president and CEO Bruce Lakefield has been upfront and forthright about US Airways’ plans for a possible bankruptcy filing. There have not been any surprises from him, and his integrity still governs his relationship with his employees.â€￾

Regards,

USA320Pilot

EyeInTheSky said:
If you haven't figured it out by now, the rantings get worse with the lunar cycle. Hence, we have a full moon tonight. Bark at the moon....
[post="184615"][/post]​
At least you have good sense of humor to keep you sane during times like these, I like that attitude.

The captain pisses many off only because he speaks exactly what reality "IS". Standing up and shouting when things don't go ones way only makes them look like an a-z-z.

I can see all sides and all sides are to blame not just one particular party, although management never had a halo and in fact sought Satan’s advice.

It's actually funny watching people posts things like: Oh yea, well they can stick it because that is just too much of a cut, or oh yea, well I am not going there because it will hurt other union brothers. That crap is just that, crap. When it’s all over and it will be for many, then maybe their chest will quit hurting from pounding it so damn hard.

The world is a changing, bark at the moon or move along with it, but it won't wait for anyone.

better to be broke and without job yet have honor, then to have the riches of the world and have no honor..

Because a man (woman) with honor will always be able to make his way in the world, and other honorable people will see their honor and help them along the way. When the man with no honor falls on hard times.. he be boned.

I wonder how the mgt. of this company is gonna like a 23% pay cut...??

Because you must remember THATS ACROSS THE BOARD...!!!

23% from EVERYBODY, NOT JUST UNIONIZED LABOR...EVERYBODY..!!

Latest posts